Author Topic: Latest update crashed my computer  (Read 40877 times)

Alexi99

Re: Latest update crashed my computer
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2011, 05:45:46 PM »
I tried several clean installs. even on a NEW XPsp3 install.
No other AV installed. MS firewall only. No anti spyware either.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2011, 05:47:21 PM »
Please download: http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/ProcessExplorer.zip
Run it as administrator, find "AvastSvc.exe" process (avast! service) and when it'll use high CPU, right-click it and choose "Create dump > Full dump". Then compress the dump file and upload it to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming/.
The best things in life are free.

Alexi99

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2011, 05:56:19 PM »
Please download: http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/ProcessExplorer.zip
Run it as administrator, find "AvastSvc.exe" process (avast! service) and when it'll use high CPU, right-click it and choose "Create dump > Full dump". Then compress the dump file and upload it to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming/.

can't run anything. the system locks up on booting.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2011, 06:07:40 PM »
Follow the instructions booting in Safe Mode. Do step 1 and 2 after 3.

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.

Alexi99

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2011, 07:04:09 PM »
Follow the instructions booting in Safe Mode. Do step 1 and 2 after 3.

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.

Here are my results:
After a successful install of 5.1.889, I updated definitions. rebooted
system booted fine. opened Avast, looked at (but did not change) settings.
rebooted.
at desktop, I opened firefox (to default google page) and then to google news.
closed firefox.
ran defrag.
rebooted
on this restart, system locked up tight as a drum for the 10th+ time.
hit reset switch
booted to safe mode
used the avastclean5
rebooted
installed AVG
I hope Avast gets their dung in a pile and figures this out!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2011, 08:31:37 PM »
Sorry to know. Good luck with AVG ;)

roddy32

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2011, 09:18:35 PM »
Same as all the others here. I installed this on my desktop a few days ago with no problems. XP SP3 Home. Last night I tried to update on my XP SP3 Pro lap top and the update installed fine, rebooted and the desktop did not want to load, No task bar, no start button, etc. I have exactly the same programs on both computers. I tried all the above suggestions and ended up uninstalling and running the removal tool in safe mode. Spent many hours on this.

Where can we safely download the 5.0.667 until this is fixed?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2011, 09:40:14 PM »
Guys, as there are many different posters here I try to keep this quite general...

As avast has a running behaviour shield now (also on 64bit systems)...
...please be sure to uninstall other behaviour blockers (like i.e. Threatfire, etc..)

Hope this info helps some of you...!
If this is not related to your specific problem, please start a new topic, as it's very hard to keep track on this crowded thread. Thanks..!
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Rick F

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2011, 10:11:28 PM »
I think I've read enough on this forum to convince me to stick with ver 5.0.677.  My PC is a tool that I need every day and I can't spend hours trying to get it to work with uninstall / reinstall, etc.

Looks to me like this latest ver (.899) wasn't really ready to be released.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2011, 10:25:52 PM »

Did you test it..??
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2011, 10:32:07 PM »
I think I've read enough on this forum to convince me to stick with ver 5.0.677.  My PC is a tool that I need every day and I can't spend hours trying to get it to work with uninstall / reinstall, etc.

Don't loose sigh of the fact you are on a support forum and only those with problems come knocking on the door, the greatest majority aren't kicking in the door or boy would you notice it on the forums.

If your system isn't directly related to any of the outstanding issues running AOL software etc. then I would proceed.

I don't spend more than 20 minutes trying to resolve a problem on my system, if it is going to take anything over that I restore my last hard disk image, takes about 20 minutes.

If this system is a tool that you use every day then you need drive imaging software, take an exact image of your hard disk/partition every week, incremental backup images more often and you will never have to spend hours resolving computer problems for whatever reason.

####
With almost a month on beta testing and 5.1.864 was released, problems were found and pre-released builds were released up to 5.1.884 before after a time 5.1.889 was released as an official release, so no it wasn't released too soon, absolutely not.

Had you spent more time on the forums during this beta and pre-release phase you wouldn't be saying that. The problem is that with the multitude of users (140 million plus) on different OSes, different security software, different applications, you can't possible test for everything and you simply can't wait until you get zero errors as that day will never come.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Rick F

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2011, 10:32:16 PM »

Did you test it..??
asyn

No I didn't test it! If you read my post above I said I was sticking with .677 because it LOOKS to me like it wasn't ready to be released. In other words, too many people are having problems with the update where it's crashing their PCs.

roddy32

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2011, 10:44:50 PM »
Where can I download the old version for now? v5.0.677? I googled for this last night and the only sites that he it were crack sites and I won't go near those. The laptop I had the problem on is a spare computer which I don't use that often but I would still like to put the 5.0.677 back on it. Thankfully this computer I am using now which is my main computer is having no problems with this update.

Can I get the old one?

De Hollander

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2011, 10:56:29 PM »
If you mean the free version:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/

Where can I download the old version for now? v5.0.677? I googled for this last night and the only sites that he it were crack sites and I won't go near those. The laptop I had the problem on is a spare computer which I don't use that often but I would still like to put the 5.0.677 back on it. Thankfully this computer I am using now which is my main computer is having no problems with this update.

Can I get the old one?

roddy32

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2011, 11:06:50 PM »
Yes, the free version, but that link goes to the new version that myself and others are having trouble with. I am looking for the v5.0.677 (free), not the v5.1.889.