Author Topic: Latest update crashed my computer  (Read 40987 times)

MAG

Re: Latest update crashed my computer
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2011, 11:13:52 PM »
Yes, the free version, but that link goes to the new version that myself and others are having trouble with. I am looking for the v5.0.677 (free), not the v5.1.889.
If you look to the right hand column (below latest version) you should see all the old versions?

roddy32

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2011, 11:31:28 PM »
Thank you, I must be blind   ::)

MAG

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2011, 11:37:51 PM »
You're welcome - hope you are in a position to return to an up to date version soon (and in the interim I'm sure 5.0.677 will stil serve you very well).

roddy32

« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2011, 11:46:29 PM »
I fired up the laptop, download and installed the v5.0.677 and rebooted, Then updated the defs but not the program, Everything is running fine again.

Thanks again. :)

bwoodley

« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2011, 07:11:26 AM »
Just starting reading this forum. I too had major Window 7 problems after installing the upgrade. I have used Avast for over 5 years with no problems until now. The solution maybe with having Threatfire also running on your computer. My wife just got a new laptop also running Windows 7 64 bit and I installed Avast with no problems. But I forgot to install Threatfire. The main problem I had was programs not starting. I see that Avast now checks for suspecious(sp) file behavior the same as Threatfire and will not let the program start.Viola!That is probably causing the conflict. I guess I should uninstall Threatfire and try Avast again.

bwoodley

« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2011, 08:14:15 AM »
Just deleted Threatfire and reinstalled Avast Free. Everything works fine now

KasimirQ

« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2011, 08:41:39 PM »
Just starting reading this forum. I too had major Window 7 problems after installing the upgrade. I have used Avast for over 5 years with no problems until now. The solution maybe with having Threatfire also running on your computer. My wife just got a new laptop also running Windows 7 64 bit and I installed Avast with no problems. But I forgot to install Threatfire. The main problem I had was programs not starting. I see that Avast now checks for suspecious(sp) file behavior the same as Threatfire and will not let the program start.Viola!That is probably causing the conflict. I guess I should uninstall Threatfire and try Avast again.

It can't only be ThreatFire, because I have that on both my system, both with Avast. The Laptop update is fine (W7 Ult 32), but my main computer couldn't start nearly any application, only TotalCommander still worked. Even the RunOnce at startup crashed. At least I was able to uninstall Avast for now and everything is working OK again. The crashing happened on a pretty new installation of W7 Ult 64. Both system have the same updates, but the laptop has a lot more stuff installed.

kingbuxton

« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2011, 08:44:20 PM »
Do they roll updates out at different times for different countries? Just with the op being Jan 15th, mine auto updated last night (Jan 18th), it's a weird one this. Mine will boot to desktop and I have mouse, but if I try to execute anything, start bar or even the Avast main window the whole thing hangs, but I still have mouse movement. Wondering if CPU is hitting 100% and just slowing everything up? I can't get Task Manager to load, so no way for me to have a look.

I tried the Safe Mode, uninstall, downloaded the .EXE and re-install, and I still got the same exact issue, ahh well. So I have taken it off for the time being.

This is the first thing that has ever gone wrong in 8 years of use, so they haven't done too bad. Now get it fixed dammit ;D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 08:47:56 PM by kingbuxton »

cahartley

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2011, 05:00:15 AM »
It doesn't matter what the avast evangelists think.....the fact is the latest program update is flawed.
I've been running ThreatFire along side Avast for years so that is NOT the problem.
After being unable to open ANY program or application immediately following a reboot after the installation of the latest Avast PROGRAM update I was screwed with APPCRASHes.
I did two system restores on my Windows 7 x64 Home Premium machine, two uninstalls of Avast using the uninstall utility followed by fresh installs of the latest program update with the same results: utter destruction
Through a link somewhere in these forums I found a link to filehippo.com who provides older versions of Avast, one of which I am running right now.
Get the older version there (ie: the latest version PREVIOUS to the flawed release): http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/  Avast! Free Antivirus 5.0.677, which is latest working version and fully supported.
I will wait for another program update rather than screw around any more with suggestions that will not fix flawed code.

That said, I was a PAID Avast Pro user for years when I had my business but now am enjoying the generosity of Avast Free which also has served me well over this last one and a half years.

knitorious

« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2011, 11:20:12 PM »
My 6 month old HP is now rendered useless after last update about 2 months ago. Froze and rebooted and was never able to get back on, even in safe mode. Tried dozens and dozens (and dozens) of times. Just black screen (but mouse pointer is reaponsive). Any suggestions?  I have windows Vista 64 bit. Thanks.

SafeSurf

« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2011, 01:12:11 AM »
@ knitorious,

It would be helpful next time to open a new thread instead of posting in a 5 month old thread as you got lost here.

I need more information from you:

1.   What version of Avast did you install?   
2.   What product of Avast did you install?  Free, Pro, AIS?
3.   What other security software do you currently have or did you have in the past on this machine including:
- Antivirus (AV)
- Firewall (FW)
- Trial versions of AV, FW and other security programs.  Most new hP's come with trial AV's (N0rton or something else...please look into this as 2 AV's on the same machine will cause conflicts)
- Other security software
- If they were in the past, how did you remove them (the vendor's uninstaller's tool or  another way)?
4.   Are your MS Updates (if you have Windows) current?  Is your machine using SP1 or SP2?  If you have SP1, please update to SP2.

What produces the BSOD?  I noticed that you waited 2 months to ask for help on this matter.  Have you tried any scans in the meantime before your machine becoming useless?

Nesivos

« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2011, 01:43:31 AM »
My 6 month old HP is now rendered useless after last update about 2 months ago. Froze and rebooted and was never able to get back on, even in safe mode. Tried dozens and dozens (and dozens) of times. Just black screen (but mouse pointer is reaponsive). Any suggestions?  I have windows Vista 64 bit. Thanks.

If you have the original Windows Operating System disc and a CD or DVD reader insert the CD into the reader.  Boot the computer while holding down or continually tapping the F8 key.  I am not sure about Vista but I know that when you do this Windows 7 you get too a screen with a "Repair" option.  If you get this then strike the enter key with "Repair" highlighted.

Or you can follow the procedure to install "Last Know Good Version"

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Using-Last-Known-Good-Configuration

knitorious

« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2011, 10:20:30 PM »
@ knitorious,

It would be helpful next time to open a new thread instead of posting in a 5 month old thread as you got lost here.

I need more information from you:

1.   What version of Avast did you install?   
2.   What product of Avast did you install?  Free, Pro, AIS?
3.   What other security software do you currently have or did you have in the past on this machine including:
- Antivirus (AV)
- Firewall (FW)
- Trial versions of AV, FW and other security programs.  Most new hP's come with trial AV's (N0rton or something else...please look into this as 2 AV's on the same machine will cause conflicts)
- Other security software
- If they were in the past, how did you remove them (the vendor's uninstaller's tool or  another way)?
4.   Are your MS Updates (if you have Windows) current?  Is your machine using SP1 or SP2?  If you have SP1, please update to SP2.

What produces the BSOD?  I noticed that you waited 2 months to ask for help on this matter.  Have you tried any scans in the meantime before your machine becoming useless?

Hi,

Let's see if I can answer some of your questions.  It is almost impossible because I can't even turn my machine on so most of it is from memory (back from the January/February update) and I am only an intermediate computer user.  I was told by several people that in order to get my computer back to working order I would lose ALL the data (pictures, files, etc) on my machine so I have been using a secondary computer in the meantime so that is the reason I put it off all this time and only now decided to bite the bullet and look for a fix to the problem.

1.  I don't remember the exact version and there is no way of telling because I can't turn my computer on anymore.  The update was a popup in January/February if that is helpful
2.  The version was the free version
3.  I had been using the antivirus that came installed in the HP, which I *think* was Norton (?).  When it expired I decided to try the free trial of Avast before purchasing the full version
4.  I was using Windows 7.  As for SP1 or SP2 -- I don't recall and now have no way of knowing.  But I was good about installing the automatic updates when I'd get the popup.

QUESTION:  If I do the "Last Known Good Configuration" as the other user suggested (thank you Nesivos by the way), will I lose data? 

knitorious

« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2011, 10:25:16 PM »
Hi,

Two things since my reply:

First I am using Windows 7 and not Vista, sorry about that.  And I read further into the instructions Nesivos gave for the last known good configuration and found the answer to my question about personal files remaining intact.  So I will give that a try tonight and see if that solves my problem <fingers crossed>  I will report back as to whether I am successful or not.  And thanks again for the tip.  Now if only I can find my original Windows CD!  ;)

My 6 month old HP is now rendered useless after last update about 2 months ago. Froze and rebooted and was never able to get back on, even in safe mode. Tried dozens and dozens (and dozens) of times. Just black screen (but mouse pointer is reaponsive). Any suggestions?  I have windows Vista 64 bit. Thanks.

If you have the original Windows Operating System disc and a CD or DVD reader insert the CD into the reader.  Boot the computer while holding down or continually tapping the F8 key.  I am not sure about Vista but I know that when you do this Windows 7 you get too a screen with a "Repair" option.  If you get this then strike the enter key with "Repair" highlighted.

Or you can follow the procedure to install "Last Know Good Version"

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Using-Last-Known-Good-Configuration

buddie

« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2011, 07:34:55 PM »
For the record, this crash happened to my computer today after updating Avast 5.1.889 to version 6.0.1125 on my desktop computer running XP.  Computer kept re-booting itself, Windows would not load.  During one of the constant re-boots, I pressed F8 (several rapid times) and entered "safe mode" to Windows XP, then did a system restore to a time before Avast updated itself.  All is well now.