Author Topic: Is it OK to run an online virus scanner with avast already installed & running?  (Read 3045 times)

Hatim

OR should I first uninstall avast and then try an online scanner?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2004, 07:52:16 PM by Hatim »

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
It's not necessary to uninstall any AV to try an online virus scanner ;)
Avast Free Antivirus: Web Shield & Home Network Security.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
OR should I first uninstall avast and then try an online scanner?

Whilst it is not necessary to uninstal, you can pause the Standard Shield provider (right click on the avast icon > Pause Provider > Standard Shield) just for the duration of the online scan.

Some say you don't even need to do that, but two AVs can interact and conflict, if the purpose is to confirm, then it would bebest to temporarily pause the standard shield.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Well, it's not usual that a on-access scanner conflit with other on-line  ::)
Maybe the exception will be Panda that does not encrypt their signature files  :(
I think the only advantage disabling avast will be on resources (RAM and CPU). Of course, you have a firewall and, it will be better do not browse with avast disabled... wait until the on-line scanning finishes  ;)
The best things in life are free.