Author Topic: Program Update hosed my PC !@!#!  (Read 13350 times)

AU4U

Re: Program Update hosed my PC !@!#!
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 03:02:42 AM »
FLAT OUT BRICKED LAPTOP AS WELL!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:(
Tried to recover the OS from safe mode and it crippled my PC so bad I couldn't even role back to a recovery point!
Ended up having to reinstall the VISTA, then do the upgrade to WIN7 over the Vista factory OS, do a recovery from a mirror image that was 6 months old, THEN, do all the drivers for WIN7 again.

Me thinks that the Online Armor Firewall (free home edition) had something to do with this as well, It may have detected the change in avast!, and prevented the install to complete.
REGARDLESS of the firewall, THIS SHOULD NOT OF HAPPENED!!!

ATTENTION ONLINE ARMOR SUBSCRIBERS:
READ THIS THREAD THOROUGHLY, OR, JUST EXCLUDE YOUR SECURITY PROGRAMS FROM EACH OTHER!!
LINK:http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/3305-oa-and-avast-again/

dinag

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2011, 11:44:25 AM »
Same problem in Belgium with windows 7 64 ultimate.
I had to reinstall a backup with acronis.
When will avast give an working update 5.1.889 is causing to much problems.

zbluebirdz

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 03:26:18 PM »
Just upgraded to v5.1889 and it broke the Intel graphic drivers for my notebook plus some Windows and Acer components.
Had to use Windows System Restore a few times in order to get the notebook working again. Will not be upgrading to v5.1889 - already tried it 2 times - both caused same/similar errors with notebook.

System details:
Acer Aspire 1810TZ,
Windows 7 Premium 64bit,
Comodo Firewall (firewall only),
Avast Antivirus (realtime + mail scaning only),
No other real-time defensive software running.

==================================================
Edit:
-Downloaded Avast Antivirus (free-version)
-Removed existing Avast from notebook
-Rebooted notebook
-Installed Avast Antivirus v5.1889
-Rebooted notebook
Notebook appears to be working with no faults reported by system.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 03:50:14 PM by zbluebirdz »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 06:37:34 PM »
zbluebirdz, is Defense+ from Comodo installed?
Did you try an avast installation from scratch?

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.
The best things in life are free.

pcpoorly

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2011, 11:41:42 PM »
Its Threatfire that does this.

We've had 10's of phone calls over the last 2 days - only affecting Windows 7 x64 as yet.

Boot in safe mode, go into admin account and uninstall Threatfire the usual way - problem resolved.

Threatfire are losing is recently, this after their big mess up with Skype - Im quickly losing confidence in them

Chris
www.pcpoorly.com

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 12:47:05 AM »
Threatfire gave me a lot of problems with Firefox in the past...
Seems to be the destiny for the Behavior Shields...
They all need fine tunning and very good programming.

niteowlgary

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 10:49:16 PM »
I had same issue with breaking my desktop after installing lastest update.

the system booted up, but my desktop was all messed up, no system tray, though I was finally able to pull it up from it's hiding place, but all my networking stuff had gone missing.

I am running XP Pro SP2, Avast is only AV, also run Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, and Spybot Search & Destroy, and that's it, never heard of Threatfire, and have no other firewalls than that from MS.

I was able to restore to previous date from Safe Mode, when it rebooted I tried to FIX Avast from the Interface screen, but had the same issue on reboot.

I then went into Safe Mode and uninstalled Avast, and manually removed all references to "Avast" in the registry, removed the left over folders in all profiles and from the Program Files, and am defragging as I write this.

I was going to download the program and do a clean install, but think I will read here for a while to see if Avast has put out any fixes for this issue, or if anyone has come up with a solid solution.

thanks,
niteowlgary

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2011, 10:53:32 PM »
niteowlgary, why didn't you install Windows XP SP3?
Which was your old antivirus before avast 5.1.889?

I suggest an avast installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.

niteowlgary

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 02:23:13 AM »
niteowlgary, why didn't you install Windows XP SP3?
Which was your old antivirus before avast 5.1.889?

I suggest an avast installation from scratch:

I didn't install SP3 cause SP2 is working just fine.  Does Avast REQUIRE SP3 now??  I know some programs do and for those I did install it on the other machines.

I don't know what version of Avast was on previous, it was 5.x though,

I just went through the clean install process, all went well, until reboot, same thing, lost all networking, can't access it remotely (which is how I use this machine), so it's gonna sit for a while now.

If I absolutely HAVE to install SP3, then I will eventually, in the meantime I'll just remove Avast.

niteowlgary

niteowlgary

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 03:43:29 AM »
FYI,  v5.1.889 is installed and operating quite nicely on another SP2 machine here, so it must be something with this particular unit.  It's a Dell GX240 Optiplex, 1.7Ghz cpu, 512 Megs RAM

I'm thinking a clean install of Windows XP might be in order.. it's been a couple of years.

We'll see if that fixes things.

thanks,
niteowlgary

zbluebirdz

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2011, 11:51:13 PM »
zbluebirdz, is Defense+ from Comodo installed?
Did you try an avast installation from scratch?

I only have the Firewall component enabled - Defense+ & Sandbox are disabled due to their restrictive behaviour with other applications.

As mentioned in the 2nd half of my post, I had to roll back to a good Restore Point, remove Avast, then install a fresh copy of Avast. Only minor issue is that during start-up, one of Avast's real-time scanner is a bit slow being enabled. Not going to touch anything - it ain't broken, so why break it?  ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2011, 12:51:41 AM »
Only minor issue is that during start-up, one of Avast's real-time scanner is a bit slow being enabled.
Some seconds are normal... You're being protected by the drive/service already loaded.