Author Topic: Avast 5.1.889 update prevents Windows 7 from booting, STOP: c00002la fatal error  (Read 7867 times)

robot85

After updating to version 5.1.889 (free), Windows 7 will not boot, and simply restarts. After disabling system error restart, the BSOD comes up, saying:
STOP: c00002la fatal system error. *bla bla bla* System has been shut down. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

I've went into startup repair, where I've tried system restore: it doesn't work. I've tried booting into safe mode - it can't even do that. CHKDSK even came up at one point, and went through its process - that did nothing. Luckily I have Ubuntu 10.04 installed as the other operating system - that is how I'm posting this here.

I realize that many other users are having this problem as well, or similar, because of this update.

I will soon resort to backing up all of my documents, programs, and other important files and reinstalling Windows. I would use my backup from Acronis, but the backup is too old.

Is there anyway I can fix this horrible error without reinstalling Windows? If I needed to uninstall Avast, or at least delete its folder (I can't fully uninstall it, as I can't get into Windows), that is possible, as I can delete/modify files/folders with Ubuntu.

Nesivos

After updating to version 5.1.889 (free), Windows 7 will not boot, and simply restarts. After disabling system error restart, the BSOD comes up, saying:
STOP: c00002la fatal system error. *bla bla bla* System has been shut down. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

I've went into startup repair, where I've tried system restore: it doesn't work. I've tried booting into safe mode - it can't even do that. CHKDSK even came up at one point, and went through its process - that did nothing. Luckily I have Ubuntu 10.04 installed as the other operating system - that is how I'm posting this here.

I realize that many other users are having this problem as well, or similar, because of this update.

I will soon resort to backing up all of my documents, programs, and other important files and reinstalling Windows. I would use my backup from Acronis, but the backup is too old.

Is there anyway I can fix this horrible error without reinstalling Windows? If I needed to uninstall Avast, or at least delete its folder (I can't fully uninstall it, as I can't get into Windows), that is possible, as I can delete/modify files/folders with Ubuntu.

Someone should be along later that can help you.

I do however have a question for you.

What printer and model # are you using with Ubuntu?

robot85

I don't have any printers set up to the computer. It is a laptop.

But if you're wondering, HP printers work lovely with Ubuntu, as Ubuntu has HP printer drivers preinstalled. :)

robot85

Never mind. I'm just going to reinstall Windows 7 with my HP recovery discs. :( I've already backed up important data.

I would like to point out, however, that I WILL NOT being using Avast! after this. I love Avast and have been using it for years now, but since it had caused this, I just can't take another chance. Maybe when 6 comes out of beta. Maybe.  :-\

rhopek

Last night Avast installed an update that completely hosed my Windows 7 x86_64 install as well. Machine apparently reboot and I could not log in. Rebooted manually and finally logged in, but 80% of my apps wouldn't run. No errors, just nothing. Noticed a .dll in Avast got installed at 3:19am last night, so I after a few more reboots that did nothing to help matters, I uninstalled Avast. Viola! Problem solved! Now everything runs fine. A screw up like this is a pretty major thing (I'm just glad I wan't the poor sap that had to reinstall his entire OS). Switched to AVG. Con't possibly trust Avast after a hose job like this.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Now this is intriguing I run win7 64 bit and have experienced none of those problems, do you have OA installed or any other HIP type programmes ?

rhopek

We ran Avast along side Threatfire only (with the manual running of Spyware Terminator and Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware). Everything was fine until that last update (we couldn't even get ST or MWB AM to load, let alone get Chrome to load among so many other programs). As soon as we uninstalled Avast, we were able to use the machine again. Now that AVG is installed and Avast is uninstalled, everything is running just fine.

There also seems to be a number of other threads here in the forum about how badly the 5.1.889 update affected others machines.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
I run win 7 64 bit and have never experienced this either, maybe there is some conflict between threatfire or spyware terminator, i think even in manual spyware terminator still has active drivers.

Offline Quibbler

After updating to version 5.1.889 (free), Windows 7 will not boot ... I realize that many other users are having this problem as well, or similar, because of this update.

Scary reading robot85.  I'm using AvastFree AV 5.1.889 on Windows 7x64 and not having any problems. ??? MBAM scans okay with no exceptions needed by Avast. I did have hassle with MBAM scans and blamed Avast but turned out to be a remnant of already uninstalled Zonealarm.

Hope it gets resolved for you.