Author Topic: High CPU Usage for avastsvc.exe in 5.1.889 (Free)  (Read 46380 times)

FigVam

Re: High CPU Usage for avastsvc.exe in 5.1.889 (Free)
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 09:03:42 PM »
I've got the same problem with 5.1.889 . 97% of CPU usage. When I try to make a dump with Process Explorer (14.01) I get a message : "Error writing dump file. Access is denied." With other processes it's OK.

WinXP Pro SP3.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 10:15:32 PM by FigVam »

Silent Assassin

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 09:10:23 PM »
I've got the same problem with 5.1.889 . 97% of CPU usage. When I try to make a dump with Process Explorer (14.01) I get a message : "Error writing dump file. Access is denied." With other processes it's OK.

WinXP SP3.
Try disabling avast's self-defense module. Go to settings - troubleshooting - untick enable avast self-defense module

Hope this will help you ;)

FigVam

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 10:25:07 PM »
Try disabling avast's self-defense module. Go to settings - troubleshooting - untick enable avast self-defense module

Hope this will help you ;)
When I did this my computer hung up that I needed just reset it. When I run my comp it seems Ok now. Have no idea what that's been. Hope that a malware (if it is) didn't modify avast when I'd disabled self-defense module.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 04:51:05 PM by FigVam »

Heldon

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 12:20:32 AM »
Please download: http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/ProcessExplorer.zip

run as administrator, find "AvastSvc.exe" process (avast! service) and when it'll use 25% CPU, right-click and choose "Create dump -> Full dump". Then compress the dump file and upload it on our ftp, I'll look at it, thanks.

please test only 5.1.889 version, thanks.

Hello,

I upgraded again in 5.1.889.
During the creation of the dump in Process Explorer 14.01, my system froze --> so I have to wait the rebuilt of my RAID5 cluster.
I would do a test tomorrow evening.

Regards.

2nd base

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 02:54:49 AM »
I have no problem on my XP Pro system.

Are you running XP Home or Pro ???

I'm running The new build on a Home XP machine with the process only consuming a fraction of 1%.  So probably not a Home XP isolated issue.

Don_Stewart

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 11:03:24 AM »
The high CPU usage is back again this morning!
I have tried to create a Dump file from AvastSvc.exe using Process Explorer as suggested but it just says 'Error writing dump file. Access is denied.'
Any ideas on how to get the dump file to write so we can see what is happening?
I am hoping that the usage will die down again after a couple of hours, but I can't use the computer in the meantime.
Will keep you posted (literally).

P.S. If I can get the dump file to work I still don't know where it's supposed to be drag and dropped to in order to send it to the tech guys.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 11:07:40 AM by Don_Stewart »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 03:09:34 PM »
Did you disable the avast self-defence module as suggested ?
You may have to do this temporarily before the problem occurs as you may not have time to disable it when the problem happens and be able to get the dump rep.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 03:48:35 PM »
I'm running The new build on a Home XP machine with the process only consuming a fraction of 1%.  So probably not a Home XP isolated issue.
What I did to get a dump when I had a problem on my XP Pro system:
How to invoke memory dump creation?
http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71

It would help if you put that information in your signature as it would help the helpers offer pertinant advice.

FigVam

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 09:14:51 PM »
I've done the dump. You can find it here ftp.avast.com/incoming/MEMORY.DMP.FigVam.zip

Don_Stewart

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 09:28:48 PM »
I have now disabled the self defense module within Avast and the Process Explorer does not now come up with the error message but it also does not produce the dump file.
It does create the file header for the dump in the correct directory but then it just locks up and cannot be closed.
It can be moved around the screen and minimized but cannot be shut down even within Task Manager.
After a reboot the dump file has a zero size.
The first time I tried it the whole computer locked up and had to be forced off by holding down the power button for ten seconds.
Today the CPU percentage usage has not gone back to normal on its own as it did yesterday so the laptop is now unusable.
Any more suggestions?

Don_Stewart

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2011, 01:39:03 PM »
Sorry but I don't understand why you are posting links to show how to crash my machine manually to create a memory dump.
It would take forever to sort through a gigabyte of dump file to find the information relating to the AvastSvc.exe program.
Surely there must be some way to get Process Explorer or a similar program to create a dump file just for AvastSvc.exe.
Or better still is there an easy way to revert back to an earlier version of the Avast Program which worked OK?
Any sensible suggestions?

« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 01:43:00 PM by Don_Stewart »

Heldon

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2011, 03:51:41 PM »
Please download: http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/ProcessExplorer.zip

run as administrator, find "AvastSvc.exe" process (avast! service) and when it'll use 25% CPU, right-click and choose "Create dump -> Full dump". Then compress the dump file and upload it on our ftp, I'll look at it, thanks.

please test only 5.1.889 version, thanks.

Hello,

I upgraded again in 5.1.889.
During the creation of the dump in Process Explorer 14.01, my system froze --> so I have to wait the rebuilt of my RAID5 cluster.
I would do a test tomorrow evening.

Regards.

Hello,

Some news :

- the level of CPU for AvastSvc.exe is at 25%
   * Without activity: it happens frequently but not always,
   * Under Firefox : always,

- I can't create a complete dump from ProcessExplorer 14.01 -> my system (XP Home) freezes and I have to reboot:  >:(

Bye

Shodan816

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2011, 04:56:03 PM »
I've got exactly the same problem with 5.1.889. As soon as I upgraded to 889, my CPU usage (Avastsvc.exe)jumped to 50%. Went back to 5.1.864 - problem gone - back to zero.  Back to 889 again - problem returns. Back to 864 for second time - problem gone. This has to be a bug, folks. Running Windows 7 Pro on a Dell Vostro 1500.

Don_Stewart

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2011, 05:57:48 PM »
Can anyone let me have a copy of an earlier version of Avast as I have upgraded all my computers and removed all the old download files before discovering the CPU usage problem?

Or is there anywhere on the avast site I can download an earlier version?

Please advise.