Author Topic: Real-time Shields - no graphs - no clue  (Read 5431 times)

Offline Quibbler

Real-time Shields - no graphs - no clue
« on: January 11, 2011, 10:33:54 AM »
I've been using Avast Free v 5.1.864 a couple of weeks. Running Windows 7 x64 and use Privatefirewall, Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware, Spyware Blaster, SpyBot S&D, Windows Defender, Virgin Media Antimalware and PC Tools ThreatFire (anti-malware all on demand except for WD and VM).

'The real-time shields are the most important part of the program' says Avast's help file. No history on my shields' graphs for three days, though they say they are working.

I reinstalled Avast as the quickest way to check. The orange ball came back to life and the file shield graph spiked. But both just the once.

Set the file shield to scan everything, took forever to open anything and still nothing moved on the file graph. Nothing from the orange ball.  Email shield seems to work, though?  Others don't work under standard user, elevated privileges or logged in as admin.

I can right-click scan etc and I'm pretty sure there's no nasties as all scans say I'm clean.  Sorry to ramble on, but this all might be linked to a scare  I had three days ago clicking to a free fonts site from google (McAfee and MyWot showed green). Browser magically changed into a virus scanner filling with found viruses, Avast popped up and broke down and Malwarebytes broke the OS.  Rebooted into Safe mode, found nothing. Back in normal Avast repaired itself, or so i thought. I Alt F4'd the browser at the time and pretty sure nothing nasty got on board. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what Avast's graphs and orange ball should be showing me?  ???  ::)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Real-time Shields - no graphs - no clue
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 11:23:57 AM »
SpyBot S&D: old guy in the field... No need for it.
Virgin Media Antimalware: don't know, but could be conflicting with avast.
PC Tools ThreatFire: hmmm... after it got sold to Symantec, the development wasn't that good.

I think you're overkilling your computer with security tools.
The best things in life are free.

mangudix

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 11:39:33 AM »
No its true ... avast service stopped after i reboot computer
also ai have conflick with USB PORT for DIAL UP MODEM
 i use AIS latest verrsion... running windows XP sp2
if i turn off permanently ,... the connection goes well . but if i turn on again .... yeah its conflict again....

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 12:02:22 PM »
No its true ... avast service stopped after i reboot computer
also ai have conflick with USB PORT for DIAL UP MODEM
 i use AIS latest verrsion... running windows XP sp2
if i turn off permanently ,... the connection goes well . but if i turn on again .... yeah its conflict again....

Please try this build...
Free AV: http://files.avast.com/files/beta/5.1.884/setup_av_free.exe
Pro AV: http://files.avast.com/files/beta/5.1.884/setup_av_pro.exe
Internet Security: http://files.avast.com/files/beta/5.1.884/setup_ais.exe
Also update your XP to SP3. (If you're on 32bit...)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Quibbler

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 12:11:35 PM »
"I think you're overkilling your computer with security tools."

Thanks Tech.  Think I'm on a crossed line here  ;D.  SpyBot is toast and I'm going to make sure I have only one real-time anti-malware.  I've tried disabling shields and the orange ball comes up with a question mark. It just don't spin no more?  And them empty graphs.  Just found another problem to keep me busy too... :o

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 12:44:48 PM »
With avast and malwarebytes you should be fine, way to much overkill with everything else your system must be a real slug, disable windows defender, delet Virgin Media Antimalware, PC Tools ThreatFire, SpyBot S&D and SUPERAntiSpyware as none of these are needed, if you really wanted to beef up your security you can add the pro license to malwarebytes which is about $25 for life time and well worth the small outlay.
You may also find some removal tool's for some of the program's that need to be deleted here  http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/  , always delet programs first with the normal add remove program's then you run the removal tool's in safe mode and rebooting after each deletion and finally run ccleaner after all others have been deleted.

Offline Quibbler

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 12:57:26 PM »
"...way to much overkill..."

mmm... maybe i should have mentioned Virgin Media's identity theft protection, privacy manager and ad blocker... and, ahem, Trend Micro's Housecall and Microsoft's WMSRT?  But, too be fair, a lot are on-demand scanners only.  At least I think they are  :-\.

It's like being told to go outdoors with no overcoat, or worse.  Still, I'll spend less time running endless scans  8)

Cheers.

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 01:05:13 PM »
yep get rid of all that crap too :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 03:49:13 PM »
Still, I'll spend less time running endless scans  8)
Life is much easier... Updating and scanning could be a very long routine if we are not in the right way ;)

Offline Quibbler

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 06:51:22 AM »
Okay... just dropped back to say I'm not crazy!  Updated program version to 5.1.889 (dunno what it was before) and my shield graphs have all come back to life! Constantly updating last file scanned before my eyes. That's what I'm talking about!  Wasn't getting a peep from the graphs for days.

Anyhoo, all's well that ends well. 8)

Offline Quibbler

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 06:58:14 AM »
ahah... didn't have update program on automatic, just the database. It's easier just to accept one is useless and move on  :-[

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 03:01:13 PM »
Program updates aren't on Automatic, by default they are set to Ask when an update is available as a program update make take longer so you don't want it firing off when you are busy. You get a pop-up notification that a program update is available and do you want to install it now (or words to that effect).

So unless you set it to Manual, you didn't do anything wrong, the program update cycle is 7 days to spread the server load; something you have to do when there are over 140 million avast users or the servers would grind to a halt.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Quibbler

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 07:38:40 PM »
140 million avast users

...all wise readers of Wilders Security Forums perhaps? ;D

Just for the record I've just solved another qibble with Avast (it's meant to be self-criticism, honest).  Malwarebytes kept locking Windows 7 x64 on its scans. Had to keeping resetting the system as nothing else cured the freeze up.  Simple solution when you know how ... user has to manually exempt every file belonging to Malwarebytes in Avast's Behaviour Shield.  But surely this could be automated for idiots like me?  Am I the only numpty out of 140 million?  >:( ??? 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 10:04:29 PM »
Will test MBAM scanning... But I think I'm not facing such problem with avast.

YoKenny

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 10:16:47 PM »
Am I the only numpty out of 140 million?  >:( ???  
I'm a numpty in one of those 140 million that has no problem with Malwarebytes and avast! Behavior Shield.  8)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 10:26:51 PM by YoKenny »