Author Topic: new update stopped my windows XP machine in it's tracks...  (Read 2074 times)

Rasmuth

new update stopped my windows XP machine in it's tracks...
« on: January 16, 2011, 10:41:01 PM »
I posted this in the official thread above, but I thought I'd also put it here, so perhaps others with similar issues may
see it easier...

well...this update DID NOT work on my windows XP machine I've been running Avast on forever. When the update reboots my machine I get this message:

"There is no disk in drive, Please insert a disk into drive\Device\Hardisk1\DR2"

and then the machine won't boot. I thought it was a fluke issue, I used the aswclear5 tool, uninstalled in safe mode, reinstalled the old build (5.0.677) and it was fine, as soon as I updated to this new build...it all started again during the mandatory reboot.

For this reason, I'm very hesitant to upgrade my windows 7 laptop, despite everybody seemingly having no issues.

so...with XP...install at your own risk, I would get the aswclear5 tool on your desktop just in case.

Rasmuth

Re: new update stopped my windows XP machine in it's tracks...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 10:52:26 PM »
just an update....i can still use the old free build...(5.0.677), it works fine.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: new update stopped my windows XP machine in it's tracks...
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 12:49:32 AM »
Absolutely no issues here on both my XPSP3 machines. ;D
As far as a Clean Install is concerned and using aswClear.exe. the Clean up tool is most effective  run in 'Safe Mode' and that is after you uninstall Avast via Add and Remove Programs in Normal Mode.(If you are able too)
There are cases where the upgrade via the Avast GUI does not seem to work properly. However installations are often effected by Windows not updated and also other security software installed now and previously. And how they were removed.
The latest Avast Version 5.1.889 is quite different from version 5.0.677. :)