Author Topic: Can't remove external USB hard drive safely after 5.1.889  (Read 22964 times)

EagleGhost

Can't remove external USB hard drive safely after 5.1.889
« on: January 17, 2011, 03:08:48 PM »
After I installed the 5.1.889 (free) version I can't remove my USB hard drive safely. I was able to remove it safely with 5.0.x. Before I installed the 5.1.889 I ran the Removal Tool in safe mode. How can I remove the USB hard drive safely now? I tried to disable all the protections, but I still can't remove it safely. I also tried to kill Avast process, but it gives me an error. I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium x64.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 03:29:35 PM by EagleGhost »

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Can't remove external USB hard drive safely after 5.1.889
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 03:33:01 PM »
To remove it safely? Turn off the computer. Or you can uninstall the behavior shield by going to programs and features/avast/uninstall change.

It's a known issue. I mentioned that in your other post. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=69405.msg583093#msg583093

@MikeRepairs, thanks for your report. Actually, it took some time to get a USB Flash Drive with hardware r/w locking to verify this issue (even for IT company :)). But finally, we can confirm that and it's currently under investigation...

@GaAs, you can't use user-mode tools for that. I got into the same situation as you, unable to safe remove my USB HDD or USB flash drive. It hasn't happened before. I think it might be still a problem with antirootkit.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=69367.0
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 03:55:37 PM by Charyb »

EagleGhost

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 05:15:32 PM »
After I uninstalled Avast I can remove safely again. I installed AVG after I uninstalled Avast, but I will go back to Avast, when this issue (and the corrupted browser downloads issue too http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=69484.0) is fixed.

gentle4ug

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 09:34:26 PM »
To remove it safely? Turn off the computer. Or you can uninstall the behavior shield by going to programs and features/avast/uninstall change.

It's a known issue. I mentioned that in your other post. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=69405.msg583093#msg583093

@MikeRepairs, thanks for your report. Actually, it took some time to get a USB Flash Drive with hardware r/w locking to verify this issue (even for IT company :)). But finally, we can confirm that and it's currently under investigation...

@GaAs, you can't use user-mode tools for that. I got into the same situation as you, unable to safe remove my USB HDD or USB flash drive. It hasn't happened before. I think it might be still a problem with antirootkit.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=69367.0

Does uninstalling the Behavior Shield provide a viable work around?  I've got several external drives with extensive music/movie collections, can't afford to corrupt them and shutting down and rebooting is a pain.

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 02:09:16 AM »
After I installed the 5.1.889 (free) version I can't remove my USB hard drive safely.

Hi EagleGhost,

same problem here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=69367.0

Edit:
Sorry gentle4ug, I've seen your comment to late... :-X
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 02:16:33 AM by ~SKY~ »
Win11 Home [x64] 23H2 @ Windows Defender | FF ESR |
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

chandragor

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 10:51:47 AM »
To remove it safely? Turn off the computer.
??? ??? ???

I guess you were just joking. Or do you mean that just in order to remove my USB key I have to reboot my PC every time ?

And yes, I have this issue with every USB device I connect to my PCs (2 with XP SP3 PRO and one with XP SP3 HOME), since I upgraded directly from 5.0.667 to 5.1.889.

I use Avast Antivirus Free, and I never had this issue before (not even with previous version 4.xxx).

By now the only working workarounds are, as suggested:

1) Uninstall AVAST and replace it wit another antivirus (I won't even consider this !!!)

or

2) Uninstall AVAST 5.1.889 and revert to previous version 5.0.667 (which can be downloaded from sites like FileHippo)

or

3) Uninstall Behavior Shield, as you clearly suggested in your post.

I personally chose option 3, even if I'm not sure which one of 2 or 3 is better. Any suggestion ?

EDIT: No, not even option 3 is working  >:(  At first it seems to work, but if you leave your USB key inserted for a while, it becomes locked again.
I had to revert to version 5.0.667 (option 2).

I really hope they solve this problem soon...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 03:15:58 PM by chandragor »

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 04:06:18 PM »
Joking and frustrated. Maybe try uninstalling the computer from the USB? Sarcasm this time coupled with frustration. I don't know any way to get it to eject safely with the exception of turning the computer off. Instead of using the windows tool to eject USB I downloaded a couple of programs which did not help one bit. It does happen after a certain period of time. Between 5 and 10 minutes so I think pk is on to the cause of it (anti-rootkit).
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 04:10:48 PM by Charyb »

gentle4ug

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 04:20:04 PM »
Joking and frustrated. Maybe try uninstalling the computer from the USB? Sarcasm this time coupled with frustration. I don't know any way to get it to eject safely with the exception of turning the computer off. Instead of using the windows tool to eject USB I downloaded a couple of programs which did not help one bit. It does happen after a certain period of time. Between 5 and 10 minutes so I think pk is on to the cause of it (anti-rootkit).

I got the same results last night.  A quick insert, read, removal worked fine.  After a period of time (several minutes) no joy.  Had to reboot to remove safely.  My devices don't have any locks, just standard portable HDs and thumb drives.

YoKenny

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 04:34:27 PM »
I am going to watch this topic with intrest as I have not had problems with removal of my Flash sticks nor my external USB hard drive on both my XP Pro or my Windows 7 systems.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 04:39:31 PM »
YoKenny, could you try leaving a USB drive in for about 10 minutes and see if it happens to you? I don't know if just plugging it in creates a problem or read/write access.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 04:51:00 PM by Charyb »

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 04:42:19 PM »
This thing happens to me if I install anything from the usb, especially portable hdd.

jwall

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 04:44:40 PM »
This is very strange.  I had no problem, but I have never left a jump drive in for very long.  After reading this, I inserted my jump drive, accessed it, and left it in for almost 15 minutes.
Safely Remove Hardware worked ok.  I did have to click the icon a couple of times though before it went away.
FYI:  I use file, network, and web shields.

Frankly, I've always just pulled it off, but I know you should use Safely Remove Hardware.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 04:49:57 PM by jwall »

YoKenny

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 04:57:34 PM »
YoKenny, could you try leaving a USB drive in for about 10 minutes and see if it happens to you? I don't know if just plugging it in creates a problem or read/write access.
I inserted a Flash card on my XP Pro system then did a quick browse and did the same on my USB external drive on my Windows 7 and left them in for at least 10 minutes and was able to remove them.

EagleGhost

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 05:05:32 PM »
I really hope, that this problem will be solved soon, because I don't want to wait 10-15 minutes to remove the USB hard drive safely.

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 05:16:42 PM »
If I remember rightly, pk some where mentioned that it was related to avast anti-rootkit. So lets hope it will be fixed soon.