Author Topic: Can't remove external USB hard drive safely after 5.1.889  (Read 22963 times)

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Can't remove external USB hard drive safely after 5.1.889
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2011, 11:32:05 PM »
Question?  Does the rootkit scan run 8 minutes after bootup or 8 minutes after user log in?  I have multiple user accounts on my machine.

I'll try some testing tonight.

I'm not certain if it is reboot/startup or logon though because I logon on immediately. I will test this to find out.

EDIT: Appears to be bootup.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 12:46:44 AM by Charyb »

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2011, 12:42:09 AM »
I really hope, that this problem will be solved soon, because I don't want to wait 10-15 minutes to remove the USB hard drive safely.
+1
Win11 Home [x64] 23H2 @ Windows Defender | FF ESR |
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2011, 12:46:40 AM »
Question?  Does the rootkit scan run 8 minutes after bootup or 8 minutes after user log in?  I have multiple user accounts on my machine.

I'll try some testing tonight.

I'm almost certain it is 8 minutes after boot not 8 minutes after user log in, many rootkits aren't reliant on a specific user so waiting for a user log in would seem to be wasting time.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2011, 12:57:11 AM »
I really hope, that this problem will be solved soon, because I don't want to wait 10-15 minutes to remove the USB hard drive safely.

The anti-rootkit takes seconds to complete rather than minutes, so it isn't the need to wait for it to be completed that is the issue.

So what is it that you need to have this USB disk plugged in on boot or shortly after for ?
If you are going to be removing it after 10-15 minutes, presumably it isn't needed all of the time.

What is wrong with the temporary work around until they have this problem tracked down and fixed, disabling the anti-rootkit scan, avastUI, Settings, Troubleshooting, and uncheck the 'Enable rootkit scan on system startup' option. That wording should also confirm it relates to system startup/boot and not user log in.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gentle4ug

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2011, 05:12:39 PM »
With multiple users, it is the first computer rule of the house to reboot when you are finished with your session.  That way, it is assured the sandbox(es) are empty and the next user does not stumble on the trash you left behind.

Frequently, the next user in line wants to use the computer to transfer pictures/music/whatever to/from their phone/ipods.  Or, maybe I want to run an unscheduled backup to protect irreplacable data.

No one should need a checklist and an egg timer to safely use a USB device.  Nor should we need to disable an important part of security software.

If we had some input as to the priority of getting this fixed, it would be very beneficial. 

mikeyhd

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2011, 03:55:07 AM »
I am going to watch this topic with intrest as I have not had problems with removal of my Flash sticks nor my external USB hard drive on both my XP Pro or my Windows 7 systems.

I have the same problem, with just one minor twist.  I have two USB HDDs, both made by WD.  One is a 500G Passport USB 2.0 while the other is a 1TB Passport SE USB2.0/3.0.  I only have problems stopping (ejecting) the 1TB drive.  I have the problem on my WIN7 64bit laptop and my WINXP 32bit desktop.  I can have both drives plugged in at the same time and still eject the 500G and not the 1TB.

Just some more info, hope it helps.   BTW, I do use AVAST free on both machines, and have just finished spending a few hours going through my WIN7 with a fine tooth comb killing all indexing, searching services I could find.

caki

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2011, 10:58:07 PM »
I have the latest version 5.1.889 Avast free
Same problem on my pc XP PRO SP3, can not safely remove the USB flash memory problem occurs with the latest version of Avast

Windows 7 does not these problems with usb safely remove option I checked

This windows XP show when I try to safely remove usb flash memory in XP Pro SP3 (see picture)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 11:03:50 PM by Caki »

vim rossi

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2011, 07:01:54 PM »
when is this going to be fixed or should we skip this build coz rebooting to just remove an usb is getting frustrating

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2011, 01:38:35 AM »
when is this going to be fixed or should we skip this build coz rebooting to just remove an usb is getting frustrating

Here is the answer: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=69367.msg587480#msg587480
Win11 Home [x64] 23H2 @ Windows Defender | FF ESR |
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

MattyD

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2011, 02:59:27 PM »
My external USB drives can't be ejected even with current version 6.0.1000, as of March 2011.

First, I don't connect the drive until **hours** after my computer has been started and I've logged on (so the 8-minute root kit scan shouldn't be a factor).

Second, all other precautions have been accounted for:
recycle bin disabled for drive,
indexing disabled,
drive optimized for quick removal.

Today, I've found the only solution to ejected a drive SAFELY (even when I disable all Avast shields and ensure that no processes are currently accessing the drive, unplugging it causes Windows Vista to dump all physical memory and shutdown/reboot/restart...this is really annoying...before I could unplug USB drives that WERE NOT safely removed, but the worst that would happen is that Seagate would warn me that a drive was corrupted (not true, verified by a full chckdsk scan).

Here's MY workaround for ensuring that a drive can be ejected:
1. Before ***even connecting the USB drive*** do the following:
----freeagentGOnextSERVICE---stop the service, using TaskMgr's Services tab (if it even exists)
----disable **all* avast shields (I just choose "1 hour" since my drives are only connected for 5 minutes)
----avast! antivirus--- stop the service, using TaskMgr's Services tab (not the avastGUI service, it doesn't really matter)

2. Connect the USB drive
3. When you are ready to eject the USB drive:
----run processexplorer, search / "Find" all processes that start with "F:" or whatever your drive letter is
----Close / kill the 4 metadata processes
 -----then SAFELY REMOVE three times in a row (first 2 times, I get "drive in use / still in use" warning, but the 3rd time I got the all clear.

4. RESTART avast!antivirus service (using taskmgr, Services tab)
5. Enable / restart all avast shields again.

Does anyone think there is an easier workaround?
It would be nice to only have to, for example, disable the BEHAVIOR SHIELD **before** connecting the USB drive (even if computer has already been on for hours), in order to be able to safely remove the drive later, instead of having to completed stop ALL avast shields AND stopping the avast service in TaskMgr.

biscuit19

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2011, 08:31:07 PM »
I have the exact system config as Matty D with avast 6- I need my hd to be connected for some time.

process explorer does not show any activity in my usb drive and i cant disable freeagent from task manager.  I have no idea how to log on as an administrator on task manager.

This has never happened with my vista or xp before.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2011, 09:06:49 PM »
I have been following this thread since it started. One thing I've noticed is that no one has said (except for one) if they upgraded to 6.0.1091 and tried to remove the USB. See  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=76488.msg633066#msg633066

5.1.889 is by now old history. I highly recommend 6.0.1091. If you remember 5.1 had a ton of bugs which 6.0.1091 resolved.

Also you should run a "removable media" scan before using the USB.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.