Author Topic: avast free version5.1.864 update problem  (Read 2610 times)

chetan486

avast free version5.1.864 update problem
« on: January 17, 2011, 04:38:58 PM »
i have avast free edition version5.1.864 installed in my laptop.presently i m facing problems since it is not updating neither automatically nor manually.
a few days before,i have started using proxy(toonel) on mozilla firefox,and since then only it is giving problems.i changed the proxy settings of avast and tried to update it manually.but after taking much time,it encountered a problem and showed error403.what does it mean.how can i update my avast.
i am using windows corei3.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: avast free version5.1.864 update problem
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 04:57:08 PM »
The latest version is 5.1.889, so it may be easiest.best to download the complete package and do a clean reinstall:
- Download the latest version of avast, 5.1.889 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe (multi-language version) and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.x).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 4.8 if previously installed and then for 5.x, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

Edit: Whilst this might have something to do with using proxy (toonel), unfortunately I don't know anything about it. So it is possible you may still have the same problem after an install of the latest avast version.

If you can say how this works, e.g. how you set it up we may be able to co-ordinate it with the avast update and more crucially the web shield.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 05:02:03 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security