Author Topic: Avast with wndows 7 64 Bit  (Read 10426 times)

sullivan

Avast with wndows 7 64 Bit
« on: January 17, 2011, 05:43:16 PM »
Hi
   running windows 7 home premium 64 bit with adware/spyware/malware

when i update to the latest version of avast alot of my programs/ sofware stopped working eg firefox/ thunderbird/ad remove in windows / system restore

my uninstaller etc tried the avast uninstall utillity in safe mode re booted then re installing avast again  it installed ok but the

programs that did not work still did not work so took avast off and everything works ok so now are relying on microsoft security essentials for anti virus

any ideas as to how i might get round this as i like avast ( can i go back to a previous version that was ok before the update)

regards   sullivan

sullivan

Re: Avast with wndows 7 64 Bit
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 05:06:35 PM »
was hoping for a reply to my problem ??

looks as if i am going to have look elseware for a antivirus software

sorry avast but got to get some AV fronm somwhere

regards   sullivan

Offline RZPogi

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 05:17:52 PM »
You should use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
http://www.malwarebytes.org

Install it. Run a full scan and tell us the results.

Malware can block certain programs to continue their havoc on a pc.
DESKTOP: Win 10, Avast 20 Free, Windows firewall, Malwarebytes free

LAPTOP: Win 10, Windows Defender, Malwarebytes free, Windows Firewall, Mcshield

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 08:31:44 PM »

What do you mean..?? Do you mean your system is infected..??
If so, run Mbam, as suggested by RZPogi and report back here.
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

sullivan

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 04:03:31 PM »

What do you mean..?? Do you mean your system is infected..??

asyn

no i do not mean it is infected i run windows 7 64bit with adware/spyware/malware software for protection

and as your
You should use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
http://www.malwarebytes.org

Install it. Run a full scan and tell us the results.

Malware can block certain programs to continue their havoc on a pc.

done a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. also with spyware terminator and laversoft ad-ware and all came up clean nothing found

have had these running  on my pc for a long time with no problems the problem has  only started when i updated to the latest version of  avast before that

everything was running ok with no problems at all so it must be something to do with the latest avast update

regards    sullivan

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 04:08:23 PM »
I know that laversoft ad-ware (Lavasoft Ad-Aware) is useless and has not kept up with the times and is now not worth the hard disk space it consumes.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 04:32:06 PM »
Other security related software..??
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

phenomfiend

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 05:21:46 PM »
I doubt this has anything to do with any kind of virus/malware infection. You aren't the only person that got hit with this the moment the new Avast update rolled out. I had the exact same situation on Win7x64 Ultimate - IE, Firefox, some desktop gadgets and games immediately stopped working. Fortunately Chrome worked about 1/2 the time and I could use it to get the avast cleaner app.

In another thread somebody indicated that they succeeded after cleaning out avast, and then manually installing the current version instead of allowing the update to happen. That didn't work for me, even with disabling Threatfire and SUPERAntiSpyware first. Fortunately I kept my 5.0.677 installer, and that still works.

Joliet Jake

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 07:41:51 PM »
Had the same thing happen to me today - had to restore my comp from a restore point - tried installing a clean install from the site - good for about 20 minutes and then crashed Firefox, IE, Control Panel, etc. Had to uninstall for the time being, figured it might be an update bug - kept flagging ntll.dll as the failing module.

Wintersky

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 08:02:50 PM »
I also had the same thing happen and had to switch to MSE as well. Have always loved Avast but can't use it now :(

Gargamel360

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 08:12:06 PM »
I know when you have a problem, it is nice to find others that seem to have the same problem, misery loves company and all that.   But each of your problems need to be treated individually.  So posting in a single thread altogether will not help others help you.  It will only make a mess.  Please start your own thread for your own problems.

phenomfiend

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 02:52:55 PM »
With all due respect to the Evangelnazi, this has been set up as a public forum. If you don't allow others to chime in with comments you should just use a non-public issue tracking system.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 03:04:00 PM »
Yes, it is a public forum, but lets not loose sight of the fact that it is the avast antivirus 'support' forum. The object being to try and help other avast users and simply telling them they have switched to another AV is hardly support.

So for those with a problem there is nothing to stop them creating their own new topic rather than hijack the topic of the Original Poster.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sd_wibble

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 10:14:30 PM »
Take a look at this.... http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=69820.0
Worked for me