Author Topic: Daily scan is running, but I cannot see it scheduled.  (Read 12361 times)

gtc

Daily scan is running, but I cannot see it scheduled.
« on: January 18, 2011, 12:04:33 AM »
Avast is running a longish scan every day at 4am, however I cannot see where that is scheduled. The only scheduling screen I can find has the data fields grayed out.

I have also looked in the Windows Task Scheduler and cannot see any reference to Avast in that.

How do I find what is scheduled and when?

Version is 5.1.889 (paid for) running on XP-Pro.

YoKenny

Re: Daily scan is running, but I cannot see it scheduled.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 12:20:43 AM »
I don't run a scan every day as the resident shields provide adequate protection.

I run a scan about once a week.

It would help to PROFILE then Modify  then Signature: and put information about your system just like my signature about your system just like my signature so that the helpers can offer pertinent advice then you would not have to keep posting your system parameters.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 12:26:10 AM by YoKenny »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 12:25:36 AM »
It doesn't do it of its own volition, the scans aren't scheduled, someone has to set them up. Whilst I only have the avast free version, I don't believe that is any different.

You don't say where you see this scheduling ?

Check the avastUI, Scan Computer, Quick or Full or Custom (if you set one up) scans, click the More details, Settings button, Scheduling.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gtc

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 05:20:35 AM »
It doesn't do it of its own volition, the scans aren't scheduled, someone has to set them up. Whilst I only have the avast free version, I don't believe that is any different.

You don't say where you see this scheduling ?

Check the avastUI, Scan Computer, Quick or Full or Custom (if you set one up) scans, click the More details, Settings button, Scheduling.

Thanks. I looked at the scheduling tab for each of the scan types (Quick, Full, Removable Media, Custom) before posting my query. They are all blanked/grayed out, that is nothing is scheduled. Yet there is a scan log for every day, commencing at 4am.

It's got me bluffed.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 04:33:33 PM »
As far as I'm aware that is the only way to schedule the scan.
Are you absolutely sure this is an avast scan, not wishing to insult you, but I can see nothing in the avast free information.

What does it say in the avast Pro Help Center about scheduling scans.

I do see that under the Command-line-scanner, that you can schedule a scan, but I can't see where they might be stored so as they can be run in the future.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gtc

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 01:10:41 AM »
As far as I'm aware that is the only way to schedule the scan.
Are you absolutely sure this is an avast scan, not wishing to insult you, but I can see nothing in the avast free information.

Yep:

What does it say in the avast Pro Help Center about scheduling scans.

I do see that under the Command-line-scanner, that you can schedule a scan, but I can't see where they might be stored so as they can be run in the future.

There's nothing in the help center on the scheduling topic that I haven't tried. Time to contact Avast direct I think.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 01:19:11 AM »
Well an unnamed scan, is a bit strange as I have some Quick scan scheduled weekly for 00:11am (image1) and those scans reflect the scan type. So have you got an unnamed Custom scan, that is what they start out as, see image2.

- There is a new on-line contact form, http://www.avast.com/contact-form.php?loadStyles for:  * Sales inquiries; Technical issues; Website issues; Report false virus alert in file; Report false virus alert on website; Press (Media), issues.

This one I would say falls under Technical issues.

gtc

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 02:20:17 AM »
Well an unnamed scan, is a bit strange as I have some Quick scan scheduled weekly for 00:11am (image1) and those scans reflect the scan type. So have you got an unnamed Custom scan, that is what they start out as, see image2.

Yep, but there is no evidence of it in the Avast custom scan section's scheduler, so it's a phantom task of some sort.

Thanks for that link. I'll submit a technical query.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 02:40:08 AM »
You're welcome, hopefully they will get to the bottom of it quickly.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 02:41:19 AM »
@David
Wouldn't reading through the Avast5 configuration file help? See if there is an unnamed scan there that is not showing in the GUI.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 02:56:18 AM by Charyb »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 03:15:11 AM »
Mine has 8 tasks listed at the start of the avast5.ini, but they are undecipherable CLSID style numbers not names and I haven't got 8 scheduled scan tasks, just two, so I don't know if this retains historical info if I set any test scheduled scans.

However, these are expanded further down the [Scanner] section, the first I see shows Weekly in the listing, but I can't see the scheduled time that I can decipher. The second shows a Monthly scan schedule, so it looks like the first two relate to my scheduled scans, the others I'm not too sure about.

So it may be possible to find one with a Daily schedule, but what to do about it is the next question. Whilst editing the avast5.ini is possible I with notepad, don't know if deleting the entry details for the Daily scan and the associated Task at the top would do it. That would then have a list of Tasks at the top that may be out of their numeric order, I don't know if that is important or not.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 03:22:25 AM »
I created an unnamed scan and this is what shows in configuration file. At the top of the file task number 8 was created and at the bottom the following. Just wonder if there is something like this in the OP's file. I don't know if it could be done either. Safe mode is the only way I can think of doing it (deleting these without self defence and GUI active.

[{A9A36730-EC45-4530-BD76-243D582DEF54}]
Label=Unnamed scan
Comment=
ScanAreas=AllHarddisks
ScanType=Content
ScanTypes=Default

What would you think about a clean install to wipe everything clean including this ghost scan?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 03:33:30 AM by Charyb »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 03:39:54 AM »
No the self-defence module will allow you to edit it with notepad (only exception) and when you come to save it it will ask for confirmation.

gtc

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
Well, Avast tech support emailed me this reply:

"please delete the Scan with pus on button Delete Scan"

and included the attached image.

Not much help given that there is no scan showing to delete, as I explained.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 08:19:18 PM »
I don't know what you mean by there is no scan to delete when your image shows there is an Unnamed scan ???

If your image is just as an example, which other than for the example doesn't exist -
I would go back to them, reply to the email and give them the URL for this topic if you haven't already done that.