Author Topic: Daily scan is running, but I cannot see it scheduled.  (Read 12365 times)

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: Daily scan is running, but I cannot see it scheduled.
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 10:00:30 PM »
I don't know what you mean by there is no scan to delete when your image shows there is an Unnamed scan ???

If your image is just as an example, which other than for the example doesn't exist -
I would go back to them, reply to the email and give them the URL for this topic if you haven't already done that.

What the OP is saying (if I'm not mistaken) is that yes, the image shows that there is an unnamed scan running every day at 4AM, but it's in the LOGS.  There is no actual scan setup though.

Hence, he cannot delete the scan.

*edit*
I guess I missed the second image that he posted.  Unless that scan is one that he created afterwards just to test.  I think I'm confusing myself.

I'll go away now.  :-[
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 10:02:23 PM by scythe944 »
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 10:33:02 PM »
No problem you can now join the ranks of the confused in this topic ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gtc

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 12:57:09 AM »
I don't know what you mean by there is no scan to delete when your image shows there is an Unnamed scan ???

If your image is just as an example, which other than for the example doesn't exist -
I would go back to them, reply to the email and give them the URL for this topic if you haven't already done that.

No, as I said in my post Tech Support emailed me that image as a general example of how to delete a scan.

In my case, as per the topic, I have no such view showing a scheduled daily scan.

My version of that screen shows this:

gtc

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 01:00:01 AM »
What the OP is saying (if I'm not mistaken) is that yes, the image shows that there is an unnamed scan running every day at 4AM, but it's in the LOGS.  There is no actual scan setup though.

Hence, he cannot delete the scan.

That's correct.

*edit*
I guess I missed the second image that he posted.  Unless that scan is one that he created afterwards just to test.  

Nope, that's part of the reply I got from Avast Tech Support.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 01:28:42 AM »

No, as I said in my post Tech Support emailed me that image as a general example of how to delete a scan.

In my case, as per the topic, I have no such view showing a scheduled daily scan.

Sorry missed that, in which case you need to get back to them and give them the link to this topic so they really can get a handle on what your problem is what we have said to date.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Quatrix

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2011, 07:27:16 AM »
Did you ever figure this out?  I'm having a similar issue with the free version 6.0.1000.  It scans between 2,500 and 4,000 files around 1 AM every day, or later in the morning if I shut down before 1 AM.  The quick and full scans are not marked as scheduled.  There's nothing in the Windows Task Scheduler either.  Unlike the poster, nothing appears in the scan logs.  I only see the activity in the traffic history when it spikes.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2011, 03:28:14 PM »
Similar, I'm not certain about that.

There may be some other scheduled task run at 1AM and that because of its activity would cause the avast File System Shield to scan files.

I presume that this is file system shield related otherwise how would you know the figures ?

What other security software do you have installed (perhaps this could be being updated) ?

Quatrix

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2011, 06:27:50 PM »
It's the File System Shield.  All of the other shields are disabled, and there's no other security software.

Thanks for the suggestion about other tasks.  In the Task Scheduler logs I found something called ProgramDataUpdater running around the same time as the spikes in avast! activity.  The description is "Collects program telemetry information if opted-in to the Microsoft Customer Experience Improvement Program".  I'll do some more research and see if disabling that task eliminates the avast! activity.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2011, 06:53:56 PM »
Well the FSS doesn't imitate scans it responds to activity as it is an on-access scanner.

So it certainly looks like that ProgramDataUpdater task has something to do with that activity. Personally I would opt-out of the Microsoft Customer Experience Improvement Program, as I can't see it being as much use to you as it might be to MS. http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Microsoft+Customer+Experience+Improvement+Program
http://www.microsoft.com/products/ceip/EN-US/default.mspx

I would have to wonder what it is doing if it is accessing that many files, avast won't normally do anything if it is just read activity, but if those files are opened with write permissions then avast would first scan the content.

Quatrix

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2011, 08:27:49 PM »
I checked Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program via the Control Panel, and I was already opted out.  Apparently the ProgramDataUpdater task ignores that setting and scans (or whatever) a few thousand executables anyway.  I've disabled a few related tasks manually and will see if that works.  Thanks again.

Quatrix

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2011, 03:34:45 PM »
The spikes in activity have stopped after disabling the WCEIP tasks.  Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2011, 04:26:36 PM »
You're welcome, thanks for the update.

Nice that MS take no notice of your choice on the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program, which for me kind of confirms it has nothing to with a users view of a better Windows Customer Experience Improvement.