Author Topic: Once again direct upgrade bungles (for me)!  (Read 4563 times)

Nagan

Once again direct upgrade bungles (for me)!
« on: January 18, 2011, 06:08:18 AM »
Win 7 Home basic (ORIGINAL OEM) , Online Armor.I have been using 5.1.884.

I installed 5.1.889 by directly clicking the executable.After running thru and a suggested restart (by AVAST) , I was UNABLE to get all the sys icons including that of AVAST and the computer hanged. I had to force restart , go to safe mode, uninstall , come to Normal mode and install 5.1.889 after which it installed properly. I had reported it HERE earlier for another version.

I recd lot of annoyed responses on how it installs well thru GUI.
The fact remains there are issues on install thru a program executable atleast for some as they have written.
It is a big irritation to change settings often after every new install. >:(

dedza

Re: Once again direct upgrade bungles (for me)!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 12:15:44 PM »
I have failed twice to update the program this month by using the avast update procedure. On both occasions it caused the other software i run (within windows 7) to fail. are you saying that a direct download of the program as if it were a new program entirely would be more successful? thanks

Nagan

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 01:57:24 PM »
I have failed twice to update the program this month by using the avast update procedure. On both occasions it caused the other software i run (within windows 7) to fail. are you saying that a direct download of the program as if it were a new program entirely would be more successful? thanks
Well NO! ;)We seem to be sailing the same tide in different boats! So it seems the AVAST program update via GUI , and thru the executable have issues FOR SOME.It is not an exception any more. Let's hope the devolopers sort this out in the future versions. Uninstalling , restart , reinstalling , change the settings might always not seem interesting.... :D

swarnava

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 02:31:03 PM »
I think you upgrade with lot of version, 5.0.677.5.1.884 & more.
I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.

Nagan

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 09:53:33 AM »
ThankU for the kind reply.. but not very helpful I should say. We are frustrated over the method , and that is what the complaint is all about..

swarnava

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 09:59:07 AM »
ThankU for the kind reply.. but not very helpful I should say. We are frustrated over the method , and that is what the complaint is all about..

do you follow the method..?? you have still the problem?

Nagan

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 03:10:56 AM »
I am able to install properly. The method is laborius. Hope you understood!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 04:24:01 AM »
As laborious as it may seem, it is ensuring you are starting from a clean slate, if your installation was in anyway corrupt there may well be registry settings that are incorrect.

In knowing you have a clean start point for your installation we are eliminating that as a possible cause. Whilst this might be laborious it really could well be quicker in the long run, the choice is yours.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Nagan

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 07:53:07 AM »
As laborious as it may seem, it is ensuring you are starting from a clean slate, if your installation was in anyway corrupt there may well be registry settings that are incorrect.

In knowing you have a clean start point for your installation we are eliminating that as a possible cause. Whilst this might be laborious it really could well be quicker in the long run, the choice is yours.

Well, does this suggest that something is wrong from my end which prevents an upgrade install (from exe click and NOT THRU GUI) to work at all? In that case you could suggest a tool which will exactly tell where things are going wrong. As it seems the problem is encountered by many and I fairly believe my registry settings may not have corrupted so soon.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 03:27:10 PM »
It isn't directly suggesting anything other than ensuring that you have a clean start point. If it subsequently works then it could be assumed that there was a problem with the installation, whether was down to updating from the UI or not can't really be confirmed.

Since as you say you already had this problem with another version I don't know if that was then inherited, making a clean reinstall rather more necessary.

I as an avast user haven't got any such tool and I don't believe one exists or even so how it would determining if it was related to your earlier beta build problem.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security