Author Topic: [SOLVED] General Failure  (Read 7345 times)

dronx

[SOLVED] General Failure
« on: January 18, 2011, 09:48:08 AM »
I'm not sure if this issue is connected with new update since I can't tell when it started to behave like this.
The problem is that all modules of Avast are not working. The only thing that still works is Avast interface BUT it acts like a 'dummy' user interface. Avast doesn't save any settings under settings, doesn't launch any scans, etc.
I managed to make it work by reinstalling and cleaning BUT it only works on first start. E.g. it doesn't work on second boot.
I can schedule boot scan but upon booting it shows 'Scan 100% Complete' almost instantly which is unlikely given the scan setting was set to scan all hard drives.

Now with some info on my 'rig':
RAM: 4 GB

Also here are some pics to illustrate what I'm talking about here:

« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 05:17:16 PM by dronx »

SafeSurf

Re: General Failure
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 09:58:46 AM »
Hello dronx and welcome to the forum.

Try an Avast Repair to see if this fixes the problem:
- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.

Let us know how this works for you and report back.  Thank you.

dronx

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 10:09:54 AM »
I already tried that and it didn't work.

Basically what I tried so far is:
  • Uninstall via Add/Remove programs, reboot, install.
  • Uninstall via Add/Remove programs, reboot in safe mode, run aswclear5.exe, reboot, install.
  • Same as previous but with aswClear.exe.
  • On first start (when it still works) set 'Load Avast services after loading...' option.
  • Boot scan.
  • Unplug peripheral devices and internet connection.
  • Running in unregistered mode (as seen on screenshots).

Sparxx

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 10:21:50 AM »
Hi.
What security software do you have beside avast, or maybe you had something until you installed avast ?
Also you can post a screenshot of the task manager, with "show all users processes" checked.

dronx

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 10:35:32 AM »
Currently Avast is the only security software installed. I had Microsoft Security Essentials before Avast. I noticed malfunction when 'Virus definition update' popup didn't show up like it usually does after windows starts. It might be worth mentioning that 'Scan ...' option from explorer doesn't work as well.

Here are task manager and explorer scan window screenshots:

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 10:43:20 AM »
Did you uninstall MSE via the uninstaller tool http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2435760/, then reboot?  Remnants of security software can create problems.

Did the Avast Repair work for you?

dronx

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 10:56:16 AM »
I believe MSE was fully uninstalled. Besides I had avast working for quite some time after MSE uninstallation.
And no, Avast Repair didn't work for me.

Sparxx

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 11:06:30 AM »
Well, in the screenshot i see that the AvastSVC.exe process has an unusual size, it's too small, only 1Mb, check please if it is possible to enable avast's service manually.
Right click My Computer->Manage->Services and aplications->Services   and sort all by Name and find something related to avast service and try to start it (if it's stopped).

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 11:07:23 AM »
At this point, I would wait for pk to review your mini-dump.  Let us know if you have any further questions, and please report back in this thread on the results of what pk has to say to you regarding your dump file.  Thank you.

dronx

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 11:22:31 AM »
AvastUI.exe have just crashed.
Faulting application name: AvastUI.exe, version: 5.1.889.0, time stamp: 0x4d2ebb9b
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16559, time stamp: 0x4ba9b29c
Exception code: 0xc0000005

Avast service was running. I restarted it but AvastSvc.exe size is still 1Mb.
But I noticed that if I scan something from explorer it's size goes up to 4Mb and more and Task Manager indicates some activity.
However I don't get any scan results from avast.

SafeSurf

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 11:25:34 AM »
Please create a mini-dump file.

Here is additional information on how to invoke a memory dump file:  http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71.

Please, zip and upload the C:\Windows\Memory.dmp file to this anonymous ftp server and name it uniquely: ftp.avast.com/incoming.  Avast will analyze it and respond back to you in this thread or to your email.  Thank you.

dronx

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 12:16:34 PM »
Do you want me to create Small, Kernel or Complete dump? Complete or Kernel will take a long time to upload.
Correct me if I'm wrong but complete will be 4GB and kernel will take current occupied memory, that is over 1GB.

I also found 'Create Dump File' option under process tab in Task Manager which creates .DMP files. Should I use it instead of manually evoking BSOD?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 12:25:33 PM by dronx »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 12:28:34 PM »
You can use 7-zip to ultra compact it and you can also split it into parts.
The best things in life are free.

dronx

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 12:37:19 PM »
AvastSvc.exe dump generated by task manager is 118Mb. That is much more reasonable than gigs of data generated by crash. Should I send this dump file or should I create small/kernel/complete dump file?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 02:40:19 PM »
Try this one. Zip it before :)
The best things in life are free.