Author Topic: EXCLUSIONS ADVICE?-SCAN PREFERENCES?  (Read 3059 times)

deep purple

EXCLUSIONS ADVICE?-SCAN PREFERENCES?
« on: August 29, 2004, 10:24:47 PM »
I have a question relating to EXCLUSIONS in the SETTINGS?,i have added all the programs that i do not want  AVAST to scan(SAVES LOT TIME SCANNING) by typing in MANUALLY in the ADD section  e.g SPYBOT,ADAWARE ect and entered their names as listed exactly and as spelt  in the list under BROWSE,have i done this correctly?,also whats the best setting for scan QUICK/NORMAL/THOROUGH?,your advice much appreciated -to a newbie of this forum and AVAST.

best regards

deep purple ::)

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re:EXCLUSIONS ADVICE?-SCAN PREFERENCES?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2004, 10:56:46 PM »
Hi,

Taking your second question first, essentially it's a question of balancing security versus scanning time.  I personally always use thorough scans (with archive-scanning enabled), but then I'm only using about 3.5 gigs of my HD of which about 2.5 to 3 gigs gets scanned (the rest falls into the "in use by another process" category).

As for exclusions, I find it handier to exclude folders rather than specific files.  And that's easy enough, since there's a browse-and-select provision in the exclusions setup.  The security programs you mentioned always put their files in a specific location, so you might just as well exclude them that way -- and all you really need to exclude is the sub-folders with those password-protected encryptions.

And if for some reason you're ever suspicious of those folders, you can always run a boot-time scan (assuming you're on a system which supports that), which ignores your exclusions setup.  You still can't scan those encrypted files, of course, but at least you'll catch anything else that might have snuck into one of those folders.

Best,
Mike
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

deep purple

Re:EXCLUSIONS ADVICE?-SCAN PREFERENCES?
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2004, 11:01:17 PM »
 :D Thanks again mike FOR YOU HELPFUL ADVICE! :D

best regards

deep purple