Author Topic: Helping a friend with serial #  (Read 3774 times)

Calusa

Helping a friend with serial #
« on: January 17, 2011, 06:07:22 PM »
My friend has a paid version of Avast and he has a serial number written down on a notepad. His main PC went on the bum and he got a new laptop. As an avast user myself, I went over and downloaded the free version 5 thinking that I could enter his serial number somewhere and he would be back to his paid version. I cant find anyway to do this. It is asking for a license in a folder on his hard drive, which isn't there as the laptop is new

Hope I explained it properly. Would appreciate any help in getting this sorted out him

Thanks

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Helping a friend with serial #
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 06:14:00 PM »
He can get the license to his email, back, if he remembers the email id which he used to purchase. Just use this form(for version 5) : http://www.avast.com/resend-license.v2.php

If he had purchased it for version 4, then use this form to convert the license to version 5 professional edition : http://www.avast.com/resend-license.php
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 06:16:07 PM by nmb »

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 06:16:56 PM »
@the OP: there's also an "insert code" option below the register now button. Otherwise try the upper "upgrade" button, there may be a way to insert the code there too in the popup dialog. I don't have any "free version" available now so I'm just guessing.

But anyway, you'd be better off downloading an AIS trial version and insert the code there... as I have no idea what happens when you do that with an AIS code entered in the "free version", if additional components get automatically unlocked/downloaded or not...

Calusa

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 06:17:46 PM »
Many thanks for both replies . I have submitted the request and also double check which version he had originally.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 06:20:36 PM by Calusa »

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 06:19:18 PM »
Yeah , forgot to add that link(thanks logos). See here to enter the key into avast for offline computers : http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=459#idt_02

Calusa

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 07:13:43 PM »
Thanks again for all the help. He got his license sent to him but as my luck would have it he uses AOL web mail and cant find the attachment to save so I have to go figure that out. I am also trying to ween him off AOL pop software. May have to get him to reinstall it :(

I think he had V5 as he remembers the orange ball in the task bar

Calusa

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 01:25:12 PM »
Just to give an update and advise problem solved. Had to call tech support and they did a remote connection with his laptop and inserted the registration. For some reason the attachment wasnt going through to his AOL web mail

thanks again for the help