Author Topic: Latest program update crashed my Vista  (Read 6778 times)

deains

Latest program update crashed my Vista
« on: January 15, 2011, 10:25:24 PM »
I tried to update my Avast program & caused my Win Vista to crash on restart. The only way I could get restarted was to Start with last Known Good Config. Now my Live Shield is not active & won't start. Anyone else having problems? Don

SafeSurf

Re: Latest program update crashed my Vista
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 01:53:35 PM »
Hello deains and welcome to the forum,

Since you recently did an upgrade and I don't know what version or product you had or wish to install, then I suggest you uninstall and do a clean install.

1. Save a copy of newest version of Avast for the product you need and save it to your HDD:
Beta build 5.1.889 download files:
Free: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe
Pro:   http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_pro.exe
AIS:   http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for all Avast versions and products).  Uninstall all prior versions and products of Avast at this time.
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Go to Control Panel and uninstall Avast through Add/Remove Programs if possible and reboot.
5. If Step 4 fails, boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.
6. Reboot.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
8. Get Internet access and register your copy or add the license key for Free, Pro, or AIS.
9. Update the Avast definitions.

Let us know if this fixes your problems.  Thank you.

bob9927

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 04:45:23 PM »
I just performed the upgrade also for my Windows 7.  It come up ok but no program that accesses the internet would start. IE,Mozilla,Chrome, RSSOWL, all failed to start.  Removed Avast and now everything works. 

:( :( :( ???

deains

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 06:18:48 PM »
Thanks safesurf, I was trying to upgrade to ver 5.1.889. I had forgotten about the uninstall. After I got my windows back up I could not get the real time shield to turn on. I finally called the Avast help # & was surprised it was iyogi, & had someone on from India I could hardly understand. I reluctantly let him have control, was on the phone for about an hour talking while he checked out my PC, he was trying to sell me their optimize service for $169 a year, I said no & said my avast is still not fixed, he said I'll turn it over to another tech & he will fix it. Took about 5 min. I got to thinking about it & looked up reviews on iyogi,there are a lot of bad reports on them & they are doing support for a lot of diff, reputable co.'s Their $169 for a yr of optimize is a scam when you can get it from PC Pit Stop for $29 a year. I ran free avast for a long time then started paying & have always been satisfied. My subscription is up in Feb & don't think I will renew based on their connection with iyogi. Don

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 07:28:40 PM »
@ bob9927

I would do as  SafeSurf recommends.

@ deans

Which version of avast! are you using ???

I use PC Pit Stop and it is OK but does not set up avast! at all.

It is best to stick around this forum as there are many avast! experts here.   

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 08:57:00 AM »
Hi Don / deains,

Were you able to get your machine back up and running now with the instructions I gave you?

Regarding iYogi, you are better off coming here to the forum for several reasons --  We are very quick to respond to user's needs, we are are available 24/7, we are free, we are knowledgeable and friendly.  :) 

Please let me know if you have any additional questions and I'd be more than happy to assist.  Thank you.

bob9927

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 06:31:45 PM »
I had already uninstalled avast. After doing so, my browser applications all worked fine.  So I downloaded the lastest version and installed it.  Again I was unable to access the internet.  I then uninstalled it and I can access the internet again.  I have to assume since no one else is reporting similar problems, it is something in my hardware/software so I will just move along.

Bob9927
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 06:57:35 PM by bob9927 »

Meghann

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 04:41:03 AM »
I had already uninstalled avast. After doing so, my browser applications all worked fine.  So I downloaded the lastest version and installed it.  Again I was unable to access the internet.  I then uninstalled it and I can access the internet again.  I have to assume since no one else is reporting similar problems, it is something in my hardware/software so I will just move along.

Bob9927

Bob,
You're not alone.  I had the same issue with my laptop, which had been running Vista.  I thought I had an issue with compatibility, so I uninstalled Avast, updated my O/S to Win 7 (I was going to do that anyway) and reinstalled Avast Internet Security.  I had the same issues with apps--my Win Patrol, Arc Soft Connect, Lightscribe, Wireless Console all quit responding.  Once I deleted Avast and reinstalled, without the upgrade, it worked.  I'm being prompted to upgrade from 5.0.462 to 5.0.889 but I hesitate to because of previous experiences.

Meghann

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 04:46:55 AM »
At the very least if you are going to go back to avast 5.0 then you should get the latest version of it, 5.0.677, check out majorgeeks.com of filehippo.com as they retain copies of old builds and they should have 5.0.677.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Meghann

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 04:57:54 AM »
At the very least if you are going to go back to avast 5.0 then you should get the latest version of it, 5.0.677, check out majorgeeks.com of filehippo.com as they retain copies of old builds and they should have 5.0.677.
David,
I run Avast Internet Security.  It's been at 5.0 for about 6 months now.  The program update I'm being offered is 5.0.889.  Is there a different update for AIS 5.0?  I run Win 7, 64B and would really like to update my a/v program, but I'd also like to have my programs (including browser) operating properly on my laptop.

Meghann

SafeSurf

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
@ Meghann

Here is the download file for AIS 5.0.677 you requested: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe.  This was the latest 5.0 version available prior to the 5.1 release.  You may get pop-ups asking you to update to the newest version of 5.1.889, but you can ignore them for now if you like. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 04:39:39 PM »
David,
I run Avast Internet Security.  It's been at 5.0 for about 6 months now.  The program update I'm being offered is 5.0.889.  Is there a different update for AIS 5.0?  I run Win 7, 64B and would really like to update my a/v program, but I'd also like to have my programs (including browser) operating properly on my laptop.

Meghann

There isn't a different update numbering scheme in place for AIS, what you are being offered is I believe a typo as there never was a 5.0.889, that should be 5.1.889, the last part being the build number, which is pretty much independent of the version number. So by looking at the build number you can effectively guess what the version number is as they aren't generally reused in the new version number but are incremental.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 04:42:46 PM »
@ Meghann

Here is the download file for AIS 5.0.677 you requested: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe.  This was the latest 5.0 version available prior to the 5.1 release.  You may get pop-ups asking you to update to the newest version of 5.1.889, but you can ignore them for now if you like. 

This link isn't for a specific version, but the most current version, downloading this would give you AIS 5.1.889, see image.

fire

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 05:58:23 PM »
I'm in another thread about aol problems using avast,,run windows 7 and having the exact same problems as vista users after getting a program update this morning,,apparently many others with aol are having the same problems,,,can someone tell me if you can go back to an earlier version of avast,,and if anyone running vista has tried it,,did it work?,,,many thanks from a computer novice. BTW my version is the most up to date,,5.1.889

I hope you don't mind me posting in the vista problem thread but heres what I posted about my problems,,can someone tell me if by un-installing,,shutting down,,then re-booting and re-installing avast,,but NOT re-booting,,if my anti virus is working OK,,if I do that then I can access my aol normally as you can read in my post,,thanks.

Heres what happened to me this morning,,I was able to access aol thru aol,,after signing off I happened to look for a program update and sure enough there was one,,,btw I have windows 7,,use the latest edition of free avast. I updated the program and then tried to log onto aol again and it said there was a connectivity problem. I then using either IE or firefox  was able to sign onto aol normally. Thinking it was AOL I uninstalled and then re-installed AOL but still had the same problem. I turned off the avast and was able to access AOL as I normally do. I unistalled avast and then re-installed it but didn't shut down my computer after the re-install. I was able to log onto AOL like I always do,,but,,I shut down the computer and re-booted and the same thing happened again. I can't log onto AOL I hope someone can tell me if there's going to be a fix for this as I love advast but need the protection of an anti-virus,,I see by these posts that this started several days ago (its Tuesday now). Anyone know anything,,,many thanks all.

Have another question,,if I don't shut down the computer because right now I can log onto AOL normally,,,is my virus protection OK,,like I said I didn't reboot after I re-installed avast,,I'm a computer novice so if someone can at least answer that I'd appreciate it greatly,,once again thanks all.

One more thing is there anyway to go back to an older version of advast to see if everything works OK,,anyone know of a web site that might have that d/l
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 06:05:28 PM by fire »

fire

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 12:20:58 AM »
I uninstalled the behavior shield as suggested and aol works fine now,,thanks to all for your help