Author Topic: Cant get on aol since update  (Read 5490 times)

hobgoblinn

Cant get on aol since update
« on: January 18, 2011, 01:59:46 PM »
Hello, I seem to be having  trouble getting on AOL since last update a few days ago. I have tried uninstalling  reinstalling aol, I tried turning off avast,I tried turning off windows 7 firewalls and still nothing.I am able to access firefox and IE. Ever since last update a few days ago,AOL just gets stuck on trying to connect, It does'nt seem to be able to find any way to connect, I even tried restarting my cable modem. can anyone help or know who I should contact for help.
Thanks  sincerely
Hob

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Cant get on aol since update
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 02:05:52 PM »
Its in the works(or is it fixed already?), according to a post by one of the avast team members on facebook(see pic). So wait for an update.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 02:10:01 PM by nmb »

hobgoblinn

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 02:13:35 PM »
Thanks alot for the info I'm glad to see its not just me.So I'll wait till they get a fix for it , cause thats exactly what my system is its wins 7 64 bit,

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 02:14:28 PM »
You're welcome.

fire

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 05:42:33 PM »
Heres what happened to me this morning,,I was able to access aol thru aol,,after signing off I happened to look for a program update and sure enough there was one,,,btw I have windows 7,,use the latest edition of free avast. I updated the program and then tried to log onto aol again and it said there was a connectivity problem. I then using either IE or firefox  was able to sign onto aol normally. Thinking it was AOL I uninstalled and then re-installed AOL but still had the same problem. I turned off the avast and was able to access AOL as I normally do. I unistalled avast and then re-installed it but didn't shut down my computer after the re-install. I was able to log onto AOL like I always do,,but,,I shut down the computer and re-booted and the same thing happened again. I can't log onto AOL I hope someone can tell me if there's going to be a fix for this as I love advast but need the protection of an anti-virus,,I see by these posts that this started several days ago (its Tuesday now). Anyone know anything,,,many thanks all.

Have another question,,if I don't shut down the computer because right now I can log onto AOL normally,,,is my virus protection OK,,like I said I didn't reboot after I re-installed avast,,I'm a computer novice so if someone can at least answer that I'd appreciate it greatly,,once again thanks all.

One more thing is there anyway to go back to an older version of advast to see if everything works OK,,anyone know of a web site that might have that d/l
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 05:49:22 PM by fire »

fire

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 08:40:24 PM »
I've had to uninstall avast and try another anti-virus program til this gets worked out. I hope it gets fixed because I really do like avast more than any other program.

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 09:10:28 PM »

fire

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 09:30:47 PM »
I'll try to re-install either later tonight or tomm and let you know how i make out,,thanks for being patient with me.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 09:44:06 PM »
Did you try this ?

While avast are investigating this, the recommended action is to uninstall the Behaviour Shield.

From windows Add Remove Programs, Change/Remove, select Change and uncheck the Behaviour Shield option, click Next and OK your way out, reboot and that should allow you to use the AOL software. See image, whilst this is for XP the process is the same for other OSes.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

fire

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 12:19:18 AM »
It worked!!! thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 12:30:40 AM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security