Author Topic: Not Fully Protected Msg  (Read 14581 times)

LadyLinda

Not Fully Protected Msg
« on: January 18, 2011, 04:16:45 PM »
I upgraded to version 5.1.889 over the weekend.

The Avast icon in my system tray shows the text tag w/"your system is not fully protected".

Starting the software, shows that everything is green and running "Your system is ship shape". 

I had this problem last time I upgraded and after a few reboots, the two finally got in sync but that is not happening this time around. 

I know this is just cosmetic and you have bigger problems, but any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thanks. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Not Fully Protected Msg
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 05:38:30 PM »
It's normal some seconds after logon (specially if you have auto-logon or make logon very quickly after the Windows logon screen appears).
The best things in life are free.

LadyLinda

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 06:03:48 PM »
Sorry, but what does that mean?

I suppose I'm the only one having this particular problem. 

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 06:08:40 PM »
so the program gui say you are protected but the orange icon say different ?

have you tried avast repair ?

For a repair of avast. Windows, Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button from the pop-up window, scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

LadyLinda

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 09:47:39 PM »
Did the repair, it ended with "update successful" - no change to icon tag.

Did a reboot - no change to icon tag. 

LadyLinda

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 08:30:50 PM »
Just an update to this, as it has not been resolved.   ::)

I have rebooted several times and it keeps going back and forth between secured and not protected.   :(

wtfwtfwtf

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 10:16:57 PM »
This is an extremely annoying problem, if you turn auto updates off which I do.
Have been using 4.8 for years manually updating with no problems.
Then it leave a big exclamation mark on the avast icon.
Please remove this feature the previous one didn't do this.

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 10:03:50 AM »
@ LadyLinda,

Since you upgraded and we don't know what version you used prior to this, and the Avast Repair did not work for you, if you feel that this is an annoyance, then I would suggest an Avast uninstall and do a clean install using the Avast uninstall utility tool:

1. Save a copy of Avast 5.1.889 for the product you need and save it to your HDD:
Freehttp://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe
Pro:    http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_pro.exe
AIS:    http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for all Avast versions and products).
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Go to Control Panel and uninstall Avast through Add/Remove Programs if possible and reboot.
5. If Step 4 fails, boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.  Uninstall all previous versions/products of Avast at this time.
6. Reboot.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
8. Get Internet access and register your copy or add the license key for Free, Pro, or AIS.
9. Update the Avast definitions.

Let us know if this fixes your problems.  Thank you.

wtfwtfwtf

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 11:46:12 PM »
I fixed my problem by turning off the monitoring of things I have switched off like auto updates etc.
This got rid of the exclamation mark in the system tray.
But then every time I booted up it got the X in the tray icon and said the shields are not running.
And if I tried to start them through Avast it hung the system badly.
And I found out what that was, its the BITS, Background Intelligent Transfer Service in XP Pro I had it set to manual and not running because I tweak XP services to increase system performance.
It seems Avast 5 needs that service to know if its shields are running.
Ever since setting that to automatic, on boot it takes a few minutes then avast tray icon turns normal and avast UI says all things I have on are running.
The reason why when I tried to start the shields it hung the PC is because they were already running and it was probably trying to start them twice.
Now with avast 5 after removing all shields except the File Shield and Mail Scanner, which is all I ever used in 4.8 anyway.
It all seems to be running and booting ok like it was with 4.8.
It seems the new Comodo Firewall 5.3 with sandbox in it conflicts a bit with Avast 5 but since turning off the sandboxing in Comodo the problems seem to be resolved.

YoKenny

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 03:04:07 PM »
@ wtfwtfwtf

You have no clue about what advice you are offering.  ::)

SafeSurf knows way more than you and LadyLinda need to follow SafeSurf's advice.

wtfwtfwtf

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 09:49:06 AM »
@ wtfwtfwtf

You have no clue about what advice you are offering.  ::)

SafeSurf knows way more than you and LadyLinda need to follow SafeSurf's advice.
Awwww derrrr don't be nasty to me will you derrrrrr I might get upset derrrrrr.
I was simply outlining to another user who has a problem, that I had the same problem, and how I fixed it.
I couldn't give a damn what rubbish you dribble.......

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 04:41:32 PM »
The problem being you haven't a clue the cause of the problem which you don't know if the OP has set updates to manual. Never was that stated, so your advice was inappropriate, not to mention BITS has nothing to do with this as I'm sure the OP hasn't shot themselves in the foot by tweaking it.

So I don't think you had the same problem at all.

I have XP Pro and the BITS service is set to Automatic (by default) as it is a required service for windows updates to work. On my Win7 system it is set to Manual, but it is running, so you had other issues going on.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 04:56:57 PM »
The problem being you haven't a clue the cause of the problem which you don't know if the OP has set updates to manual. Never was that stated, so your advice was inappropriate, not to mention BITS has nothing to do with this as I'm sure the OP hasn't shot themselves in the foot by tweaking it.

So I don't think you had the same problem at all.

I have XP Pro and the BITS service is set to Automatic (by default) as it is a required service for windows updates to work. On my Win7 system it is set to Manual, but it is running, so you had other issues going on.
Not to metion that he is a Newbie! ::)
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wtf

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 06:05:56 PM »
Newbie forum status as far as I'm concerned has nothing to do with it, there are many knowledgeable newbies. So any judgement would be based on the advice offered and its relevancy.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

LadyLinda

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 04:35:29 PM »
I'm back w/the same problem.  ::)  ------  03/08/2011

With all the buzz regarding version 6.0, I chose to wait and see if that resolves this minor bug.
And it did until recently.
I upgraded to 6.0 from 5.1 on 02/25/2011 and everything was great. 
Then the other day, I upgraded to Adobe Flash Player 10 and rebooted.

Now, I'm back to "your system is not fully protected" on the icon text tag. 
Rereading this post, I also did the repair and also rebooted - no change. 

Just curious, would the text tag change w/o rebooting?

I'm running windows x/p w/sp3.