Author Topic: Nag Screen for V5 issue  (Read 6844 times)

terbor

Nag Screen for V5 issue
« on: January 19, 2011, 08:34:40 AM »
I keep getting a Nag screen telling me I have to update as my license is about to expire.
I went to your site and got a new license number and installed it for the next period.
I am still getting the naggin screen even though I have installed the new license.
I am not interested in up installing Ver 5 at this time. I just want your program to
stop sending me a Nag screeen every few hours. What is the procedure to stop this Nagging
annoyance.
thanks

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Nag Screen for V5 issue
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 08:44:05 AM »
What is the procedure to stop this Nagging annoyance.
That would be installing latest version....

I guess you have avast 4.8 pro ?   the plan was to end the support for it at the end of 2010 so it is running on overtime...

and uppgrade from 4.8 pro to 5.1 pro is free

« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 08:49:42 AM by Pondus »

terbor

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 05:34:17 AM »
THanks for replying to my question,

I Dont want to upgrade at this time. I need my computer and after reading the
20-30 Horror stories of computers locking up or crashing due to V5, I do Not
want to upgrade at this time.
I just want a procedure for Avast to quit Nagging me.
This isnt a Music site or some other crappy site, its an AntiVirus site that
should not throw pop=ups onto my screen every hour or two. Not a great way to
inspire loyalty towards a business.
terbor

DeLuk

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 12:29:28 PM »
@ terbor: If somehow helpful concerning your question...

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=69383.msg585488#msg585488

swarnava

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 12:42:08 PM »
You will get this message untill you upgrade to our latest version.avast keep alerting you to pain of running a antivirus without vps.you should upgrade as soon as possible to ignore it.its need very low configuration like 128mb RAM

terbor

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 02:28:39 AM »
Thanks for the message on how to disable the nag screen.
I know that avast wants to move ahead with their software but it should not be
at the expense of causing so much grief and problems to/for their customers.
I just talked to the one person I know that is using Avast and he is having an issue with
his av quiting and giving a nonsense error message of "failed to start because its
side-by-side configuration is incorrect". That's such a useless message that it reminds me
of microsofts typical "your computer is broken, Goodbye!" messages.
I hope that the powers that are in control at avast can create a more stable upgrade before
they stop supporting the older version. If they don't I will not be using them. Its a shame too
because avast has had a pretty reliable reputation and I was about to change to one of their
paid versions as was wanting some additional protection but i cannot afford to lose my computer.
Thanks
terbor

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 02:46:41 AM »
Well avast 5.0 has been out a year and is very stable from early on, so I honestly can't understand why after a year some people were still on avast 4.8. I'm mean how long does it have to be before you consider something stable.

The 5.1.889 version is for the greatest majority a stable build, but you don't see them breaking down the doors to what is after all a support forum and most who come here because they have a problem, for most it gets solved or a work around found until is gets resolved.

If that person you speak of had done a simple forum search on side-by-side configuration in the forums (or probably just a general google search) he would have seen many such topics about a missing Microsoft C++ installation and when downloaded and installed, end of problem.

-- Side-By-Side Configuration is Incorrect Error - You need to install MS Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable.

You need 2008 SP1 - this is the correct one:
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 09:20:46 AM »

Using a outdated version that is not getting vps updates is also a good way to loose your computer ... due to infections that can not be detected.

It will be very soon that above will happen ... no more updates.

Avast is trying to keep you safe yet you are resisting.

swarnava

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 09:43:13 AM »
Thanks for the message on how to disable the nag screen.
I know that avast wants to move ahead with their software but it should not be
at the expense of causing so much grief and problems to/for their customers.
I just talked to the one person I know that is using Avast and he is having an issue with
his av quiting and giving a nonsense error message of "failed to start because its
side-by-side configuration is incorrect". That's such a useless message that it reminds me
of microsofts typical "your computer is broken, Goodbye!" messages.
I hope that the powers that are in control at avast can create a more stable upgrade before
they stop supporting the older version. If they don't I will not be using them. Its a shame too
because avast has had a pretty reliable reputation and I was about to change to one of their
paid versions as was wanting some additional protection but i cannot afford to lose my computer.
Thanks
terbor

you cant stop popup until you upgrade.you should upgrade atleast 5.0.677.by the way 5.1.899 is enough stable.dont look others problem.try to install own and test how it was.i give 5 out of 5 of this version