Author Topic: Script Shield  (Read 17233 times)

privateofcourse

Re: Script Shield
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2011, 09:11:31 PM »
So basically, if you use Firefox, and don't use other Microsoft apps Script Shield would seem a bit pointless. In which case I may as well disable it permanently. I didn't realise it wasn't actually doing anything useful.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2011, 09:13:26 PM »
As far as I know there is no overhead in leaving it on.  I do not use P2P or IM yet I still have them running albeit in the standby (asleep) mode 

privateofcourse

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2011, 09:20:00 PM »
Yeah, perhaps that's a better way to deal with it.

Just checked the Script Shield stats/log and it shows as scanning 3958 scripts in total, which must all me local because I don't use IE. Contrary to what I thought, perhaps it is doing something useful. I'll just leave it active then.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2011, 09:22:27 PM »
So basically, if you use Firefox, and don't use other Microsoft apps Script Shield would seem a bit pointless. In which case I may as well disable it permanently. I didn't realise it wasn't actually doing anything useful.

No it isn't pointless, because the script shield doesn't only scan web based scripts. I avoid IE like the plague and use firefox as my primary browser and the script shield is scanning see the traffic over the last week.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Techtronic

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2011, 09:35:47 PM »
Just to add my 2 cents, using Win 7 64bit and running IE9RC 32bit and avast!IS 6. Script shield has not scanned any (0) scripts while using IE9RC for over 2 weeks. By the numbers, IE is still the leading browser and IE9 is scheduled to be officialy released very soon. I would expect the script shield in avast! 6 to work with IE9 by then :P  PS. the script shield works with media player, just not with IE9RC.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 09:37:46 PM by Techtronic »

Nesivos

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2011, 09:38:18 PM »

I don't agree with that.

You may not get as much benefit from Script Shield if you use Firefox 4.0 Beta X with NoSript but Script Shield does more than check Internet scripts

Avast Script Shield also checks the Windows Scripting Hosting Scripts that are being executed in the operating system.

MAG

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2011, 09:46:37 PM »
By the numbers, IE is still the leading browser and IE9 is scheduled to be officialy released very soon. I would expect the script shield in avast! 6 to work with IE9 by then :P  PS. the script shield works with media player, just not with IE9RC.

Three posters (including two evangelists) have stated earlier in this thread that it does work with IE9 on their w7 64 bit systems.

Some of us aren't so lucky.

privateofcourse

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2011, 09:52:27 PM »
@ DavidR  and Nesivos

Yes, and, on checking the script shield stats, I discovered that what you say is about right...and I already conceded before your responses ...if you look above your posts, you'll see my post conceding this and complete with attached image. ;D

Hermite15

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2011, 12:02:40 AM »
had 143 scripts scanned today on IE9...probably on IE9... too bad I didn't look as it happened as I don't have any track of what was scanned precisely.

privateofcourse

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2011, 12:58:33 AM »
Yeah, that had me bamboozled. Tried to find a way but concluded that there isn't a way to view historic Script Shield logs. Well, I'm only able to click the Shield log link which shows the current activity log, but nothing going on at present.

Hermite15

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2011, 01:21:27 AM »
Yeah, that had me bamboozled. Tried to find a way but concluded that there isn't a way to view historic Script Shield logs. Well, I'm only able to click the Shield log link which shows the current activity log, but nothing going on at present.

there's no log but there's a report file for the script shield. Problem is that it can't be tweaked like for other shields as there's no settings for the scriptshield in the UI. This may be reached from an ini file probably but I haven't checked yet.

So what you got is just a report file located here:
C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\report
 with not much inside except that the module runs and scans got started. If you could change the report settings which I think is somehow possible, you'd have the details of scanned files.

Techtronic

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2011, 04:18:49 AM »
@ MAG, I think you are right in that some of us are not lucky! I have avast1 IS 6 on 2 computers a laptop running Win 7 Pro 64 and a desktop running Win 7 HP 64. I installed IE9RC on both pc's for over 2 weeks and the script count has stayed at zero (0) all the time. Maybe I am double unlucky.  ::)

privateofcourse

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2011, 11:28:41 AM »
So what you got is just a report file located here:
C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\report
 with not much inside except that the module runs and scans got started. If you could change the report settings which I think is somehow possible, you'd have the details of scanned files.

Yes, I see, and of very limited use with only start information being recorded. If there was a 'verbose' setting to have detailed logging or something that would be much better, and more useful. And (I mentioned this in another post) I'd still like to be able to configure custom paths to log files. I can't see how that would be a major problem. It really bugs me that some software still makes you have to go rummaging around to view its log files.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 12:18:16 PM by Privateofcourse »