Author Topic: Avast 5  (Read 11321 times)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast 5
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 12:05:38 PM »
So one can assume that Avast spyware protection is as good as its renowned virus protection and that a PC would be safe with just free Avast 5 and Windows Defender installed?

You can use free Mbam for a second opinion, if needed.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 12:17:07 PM »
You also cant use the realtime protection of spybot, which is teatimer with avast either, as stated earlyer malwarebytes is probably the best program of it kind out there and runs alongside of avast very well and the pro version is $25 for lifetime license.
Use the search tab at the top of forum page to search for issues with iobit and why it should not be used.

avastpc

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 11:12:39 PM »
Just out of interest, what is the general opinion on Threatfire?

Threatfire apparently enhances any antivirus software!

YoKenny

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 12:44:49 AM »
Just out of interest, what is the general opinion on Threatfire?

Threatfire apparently enhances any antivirus software!
Threatfire interferes with Behavior Shield.

Stick with Malwarebytes.

Offline greyowl

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 01:23:12 AM »
I am interested in this discussion.  Hope you don't mind if I ask some related questions:

I see from your signatures that you use WinPatrol Plus and MBAM Pro which run in real time with Avast Free.

What is Windows Defender?  Is this the windows firewall for Windows 7?

I am running XP sp3 and wondering if I should have a firewall too.  If so, which would you recommend to run with Avast Free, MBAM Pro, and WinPatrol Plus.  Is the Windows Firewall in XP good enough (I heard that it does not cover outbound traffic).  I also have dialup internet so I need something lite.

Also, should I have a HIPS program.  If so, which one?
Dell Laptop, 1.6Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, XPsp3, Avast Free, Windows Firewall

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2011, 05:25:51 AM »
Windows defender is antispyware and it comes inbuilt into vista and windows 7 and can be down loaded from microsoft for xp but it is not very good on xp and if you have a good spyware program you will normally disable defender because it is inferior.
If your planning on running  Avast Free, MBAM Pro, and WinPatrol Plus then some good firewalls are online armor free or paid, outpost firewall, privatefirewall free and extreemly light and i also tried the new pctools firewall the other day and was very impressed, small download and light on the system, set itself up very well and i only recieved one popup about avast, passed all the shield test's and when uninstalled it left behind nothing, but if you dont understand firewalls they can become a hinderance and it is sometime's better to stick with the windows firewall.
 All these firewalls have a hips componant and Winpatrol will monitor hips too.

Offline greyowl

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2011, 02:28:53 PM »
craig,

Thank you for the information.

Is the XP Windows firewall considered adequate?

If not, which would be lighter on my system and dialup internet:  Private Firewall or PC Tools Firewall.

Thanks

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2011, 02:36:25 PM »
Is the XP Windows firewall considered adequate?

No. ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline greyowl

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2011, 02:53:11 PM »
Thanks for the response.

Which would be lighter on my system and dialup internet:  Private Firewall or PC Tools Firewall.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2011, 02:57:17 PM »
It's not great but is adequate if your browsing always consists of familiar sites but if you do online banking and purchasing it is better to have a decent firewall.
My favourite has always been privatefirewall and then online armour but after using the pctools firewall plus i think i have a new favourite,it was just as light as private and has now become easyer and smarter to use than any of the firewalls imo,like i said before i only got one popup which was about avast seems to be acting as a proxy should i allow this, i was really surprised because when i tried pctools a year ago it was a mess and sluggish and when deleted it took my windows validation with it to but they have really cleaned up there act now and i would rank it as a serious contender for the top firewalls.

Offline greyowl

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2011, 03:56:07 PM »
Craig,

Thank you--This is very helpful to know.

avastpc

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2011, 11:57:40 AM »
On the subject of firewalls, if one has an ADSL router with built in firewall technology, is the installation of firewall software on a PC a concern for a Windows installation?

When I test my router firewall at grc.com, it always reports as the PC being fully stealthed.