Author Topic: After Vista Premium 32 crash Avast "package is broken"  (Read 5382 times)

dford3772

After Vista Premium 32 crash Avast "package is broken"
« on: January 19, 2011, 11:43:33 PM »
I finally stumbled through getting my Acer desktop rebooted fully.  During the crash Avast had tried to update and now it
says Package is Broken.  I really think that 5.1.889 update put my machine into a loop and caused all the havoc I've been through
this afternoon. I've used Avast for a long time and I'm keeping the faith!

I searched in the archives and found the directions for Avast repair but it wasn't clear to me where the pop-up came from
for repair and I almost started uninstall I guess.  It is just all too much.

LOL  the Avast icon says my system is secure but on the UI it tells me to update.  Oh well I can just hope that when I try to shutdown this machine tonight that it doesn't go into another loop.

I suppose uninstall and clean install are what I need to do.
Donna

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: After Vista Premium 32 crash Avast "package is broken"
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 12:51:36 AM »
I finally stumbled through getting my Acer desktop rebooted fully.  During the crash Avast had tried to update and now it
says Package is Broken.  I really think that 5.1.889 update put my machine into a loop and caused all the havoc I've been through
this afternoon. I've used Avast for a long time and I'm keeping the faith!

I searched in the archives and found the directions for Avast repair but it wasn't clear to me where the pop-up came from
for repair and I almost started uninstall I guess.  It is just all too much.

LOL  the Avast icon says my system is secure but on the UI it tells me to update.  Oh well I can just hope that when I try to shutdown this machine tonight that it doesn't go into another loop.

I suppose uninstall and clean install are what I need to do.
Donna

Hello dford3772: For a repair of Avast go to Control Panel, then Add and Remove Programs. Choose Avast and click Change/Remove. A window will appear, if you scroll down you will see the option "Repair". Choose that option and let it proceed. Reboot computer.
See if that helps.
If not we can proceed with a Clean Install of v.5.1.889  :)

dford3772

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 01:09:25 AM »
I guess the package really is broken. When I try to get to repair a message pops up that
says a setiface error has occurred---uninstall.

If I can get the machine shutdown I'll try the clean install tomorrow.  I've done all
I can do today.
Donna

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 01:32:38 AM »
I guess the package really is broken. When I try to get to repair a message pops up that
says a setiface error has occurred---uninstall.

If I can get the machine shutdown I'll try the clean install tomorrow.  I've done all
I can do today.
Donna

When you feel you have the time, the following instructions may solve your issue.

If you have had v.4.8 installed or v.5.0 or 5.1(beta) and had issues with the functioning of the version or an install of a newer version over top did not work properly, there is a possibility of File corruption. I have found this process to be extremely effective in many situations. Consider executing a ‘Clean Install’ using this format.
 I recommend you follow these instruction in the order they are presented

Please download the latest official version of Avast (5.1.889) for the product you need and save it to your HDD:   

Free AV: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe       
        Pro AV: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_pro.exe       
        Internet Security: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe

Then please download aswClear5.exe (Clean up Utility) http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your hard drive where you can access it easily.

1. IN NORMAL MODE, Please go to Start/Control Panel/Add and Remove Programs and choose Avast and click Change/Remove, and then Uninstall from the options listed. Once the uninstall process is completed, Reboot your computer
2. When up and running, Reboot again, this time into 'SAFE MODE' and find the (aswClear5.exe) download you saved to your hard drive and run the Clean up tool. Make sure you first choose the version from the list supplied in the tool that you want to cleanup and then run the tool by choosing Uninstall; your computer will automatically reboot.
3. Once up and running in Normal Mode, if you choose too, follow the NOTE BELOW, before finally installing the latest version of Avast you saved to your hard drive.
Remember, if you have had more then one version of Avast installed on your computer, you need to choose the version in the Clean up tool that you have had installed on your system one at a time. If you have had both v.4 and v.5.0 installed, then you need to follow the ‘safe mode’ process twice; once for each version separately.
Please let us know how this works out for you. :)

dford3772

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 02:28:59 PM »
I let my machine stay off over night. When I booted up no problem of any kind! Virus data base updated as usual to the latest
version and the UI looks as normal as can be. Yesterday I did run chekdisk, disk cleanup, and defragged.  All the package is broken
stuff has disappeared.

Should I go through the uninstall-cleanup-reinstall process.  I'm just not sure I understand how all this happened.
Donna in AR

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 02:55:36 PM »
No if it is running as it should I would leave it as is, no point in pre-empting a problem that has resolved itself.

Just monitor it, if something becomes a regular occurrence then yes you would need to take more measures such as a clean reinstall. Computers are fickle things.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 05:13:16 PM »
No if it is running as it should I would leave it as is, no point in pre-empting a problem that has resolved itself.

Just monitor it, if something becomes a regular occurrence then yes you would need to take more measures such as a clean reinstall. Computers are fickle things.

Agreed, Its not wise to mess with things that work. ;)

dford3772

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 02:42:28 AM »
Amen to the advice.  I loaded 5.1.889 on my ancient XP box today and it runs smooth as silk.  I think one of the reasons
that machine has lasted so long it is free of Windows Updates.  LOL

Thanks for your help,
Donna

dford3772

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 05:56:40 PM »
I need a wise opinion from this group.  Everything worked fine until Saturday morning when I opened iTunes and AppleMobileDevice Helper hung and caused the machine to fail. Then I rebooted and all is well but iTunes is unusable.  I think my PC is on its way out
as I have had too many red flags lately.  How does one know if a PC is gone?  The drivers have to be outdated as it is almost 3 years old.  My question is when do I quit trying with it.  Crash and burn every two or three days is probably sending a message wouldn't you say?
Donna