Author Topic: Unable to start avast  (Read 2582 times)

truckersmom

Unable to start avast
« on: January 20, 2011, 05:12:26 AM »
OK! So I find I can not start Anything i=on the Avast. I come here through a link that Shelty sent me and find I am not the only one with issues. It's like DeSouvoe with AVG2011 all over again. I did what Safesurf mentioned http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=69702.0which was to uninstall and then reinstall. Well that worked for the Avast but now I can't access my FireFox. I click on the Icon but nothing happens.The Avast did a scan on my hard drive and came up with a message saying that {CAB archive is corrupted.} and gave 2 errors: >msoe.hhk error42136 & >msoe.chm error 421127.It had to do with the REDIST IE6. I have IE7 not 6(Yes I double checked it).
So if some one could shed some light I would appreciate it/
Regards
TM
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 05:51:28 AM by truckersmom »

Shelty

Re: Unable to start avast
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 05:55:10 AM »
Hi TM,  glad you found it  and I sure do hope you get some help.    :o  I am having  issues too, and  they are getting no better on my end.  Do  keep in touch,  will  keep fingers crossed for you!! ::)

After reading some  of the topics here, it is beginning to look pretty darn scary to me.  LOTS of  ISSUES!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 06:00:22 AM by Shelty »

truckersmom

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 06:03:01 AM »
OK! I just got done with the Check scan and tried the FF, received an error message saying that FF was already running to close it down. I went into task and there was nothing running as far as FF. I tried to restart the computer but now it is stuck in shut down mode which is another problem that started when the older version froze. Man, I'm about to clear this shite stuff out and go else where. I have never had this much hassle with avg the whole 10 years I was with them and the only reason I'm not with them is they are not compatible with XP any more. Still have them on my Vista and going good. Geez! What a headache! :-\ :'( 
Regards
TM

truckersmom

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 06:05:42 AM »
Hi TM,  glad you found it  and I sure do hope you get some help.    :o  I am having  issues too, and  they are getting no better on my end.  Do  keep in touch,  will  keep fingers crossed for you!! ::)

After reading some  of the topics here, it is beginning to look pretty darn scary to me.  LOTS of  ISSUES!
Yeah I see them. and also on mine as well. I'm headed down the hall.This is giving me an AVG headache.I'm not messing with it anymore tonight. See ya in WLM tomorrow. Will let you know what's up.
TM

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 06:11:47 AM »
Sorry to hear it's giving you so many issues.

The newer beta versions had some problems, but the newest seems to be quite good.

You said that you uninstalled/re-installed avast, which got that back into working order.  FF is your only issue now?

Since FF is just a browser, it's not too difficult to remove and re-install as well.  I know you probably don't want to hear that, being an network administrator, but sometimes things take a bit of work to fix.

You could start with diagnosing your firefox profile http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_(Firefox)

If that doesn't work, just nuke it and re-install.  Backup your favorites if you need to, or use the sync function.

Personally, I like chrome, but that's just me.

Anyway, let us know what happens as you go along and I'm sure that we can get you going again.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum