Author Topic: Settings help needed please  (Read 2435 times)

Barr_y

Settings help needed please
« on: August 30, 2004, 10:54:02 AM »
When I open the settings from Avast main screen, most of the items I understand, untill I get to Alerts. Is it already set to send alerts automatically or do you need to put something in to the SMPT part of settings
1 Server Address   xxxxxxxxx ?
2 From Address     xxxxxxxxx ?

Could you explain what I need to put in xxxxxx please   ???

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Settings help needed please
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 11:15:04 AM »
Well, fill it if you want to receive alerts whenever a virus is found by avast (e.g. by email - this is what SMTP means)...

Normally, you don't have to fill in anything (i.e. no additional "alerts" will be sent if a virus is found, besides the window popup).

There should also be a section about this in the help file...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Barr_y

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 11:37:40 AM »
Thanks Vlk but I have read the Help files and I am sorry I still can't understand. I need to know what this means.

SMTP. The alert will be sent as an e-mail, using the SMTP protocol. It is necessary to define the SMTP Server, i.e. the mail server the messages will be sent through (e.g. smtp.company.com or 192.168.1.1). Additionally, you have to specify the port that will be used (the standard value is 25). Finally, enter the sender address ("From", i.e. the user address). ?????
MAPI. The alert will be sent as an e-mail, using the MAPI protocol. Enter the MAPI profile name, together with the corresponding password to use.

You should enter the following information:

Server address - the address of the outgoing e-mail server (e.g. smtp.server.com or 192.168.1.25).
Port - the port number (the default is 25).
From address - address of the sender ("From").

Barr_y

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 08:15:48 PM »
If you do look at this, the reason I asked is because I have a page on my web site where I could not explain what I was asking for advice on. It is on the link http://www.safety1stcomputing.co.uk
Avast Antivirus/Install Set-up/Avast Antivirus/Setting-up Avast, then the last page in that section. If there is anything you would like me to change please let me know. I do write my web sites by hand in notepad.