Author Topic: Don't want popups during scheduled scans  (Read 8829 times)

VanguardLH

Re: Don't want popups during scheduled scans
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 04:20:12 AM »
Not sure if I am following what you guys are talking about, but to make sure... Is this the stupid popup?

That just started showing up within the past day or so for me; its hella annoying... :/

Yep, that is the annoyance of which I queried.  It interferes with my use of my computer in that its display will show up when I'm recording the screen as in when creating a tutorial or recording how to replicate a problem.  This popup is brand new as of the last program update.  I had 5.1 some lesser build before and there were no popups for scheduled scans.  This is a new annoyance.  There is no user-configurable option in defining a scheduled scan to choose if this dialog appears or not.  It does not appear affected by the Popups settings under Preferences.

Tech's response is to completely kill off the scheduled scans to eliminate the popups.  Well, that is what I was forced to do.  Is it an elegant solution or preferred behavior?  Definitely not!  I didn't waste my time defining the scheduled task and determining when it can be best executed to avoid conflicts with other scheduled tasks only to get annoyed by a worthless popup.  After all, why would the popup be of value?  I suspect most users scheduled the scan for when they are NOT at their computer so this popup is worthless.  If the user is at their computer and using it, they should have a choice of whether or not this popup will appear. 

This popup smacks of adware where they desparately want to shove something in your face to advertise "Hey, lookie, you're using our product and isn't it so grand that we have to announce to you at any possible opportunity."  Somehow I suspect the developers are reeling from a stupid decision forced on them by the marketing folks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 05:02:21 AM »
There is nothing to stop you putting avast into silent/gaming mode temporarily before starting that you don't want your scheduled scan or other avast notifications, to be displayed (auto updates, etc.) and re-enable it after you are done.

Elegant, desirable, preferred behaviour, perhaps not all we are trying to do is suggest a workaround. This one is possibly less onerous to your killing the scheduled scans.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

VanguardLH

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 07:36:38 AM »
My understanding is that silent/gaming mode won't show the alert popups.  You know, the ones that show you've visited a site with malicious code, a download that is infected, a program making a change that gets caught by Defense+, etc.

I don't understand why it is so hard for users to see that plastering useless dialogs on the screen is rude.  Do you really appreciate someone throwing a semi-transparanet cloth tarp out their back car window while you're driving on the highway to have it land on your windshield even if it only partially covered the windshield and it was a bright day so you could see through it?  Would you like anyone to slap a sticker on your car even if was removable after some amount of time?  Users have been so drilled into seeing crap plastered on their screen that they've begun to forget that it is their property.

Yeah, it's free.  That's not an excuse to be rude.  Yeah, I can look elsewhere.  Guess what I'm doing now?

SafeSurf

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 07:45:50 AM »
VanguardLH,

Since this forum is monitored, perhaps Avast will listen to your feedback and for the next release they may put something on the pop-up as to how to disable or minimize the pop-up for situations like your (and others).  I thank you for your feedback.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2011, 03:48:14 PM »
My understanding is that silent/gaming mode won't show the alert popups.  You know, the ones that show you've visited a site with malicious code, a download that is infected, a program making a change that gets caught by Defense+, etc.

I don't understand why it is so hard for users to see that plastering useless dialogs on the screen is rude.  Do you really appreciate someone throwing a semi-transparanet cloth tarp out their back car window while you're driving on the highway to have it land on your windshield even if it only partially covered the windshield and it was a bright day so you could see through it?  Would you like anyone to slap a sticker on your car even if was removable after some amount of time?  Users have been so drilled into seeing crap plastered on their screen that they've begun to forget that it is their property.

Yeah, it's free.  That's not an excuse to be rude.  Yeah, I can look elsewhere.  Guess what I'm doing now?

Yes it does, but I'm not saying to set it permanently but temporarily when you don't want interruptions. As you may already have noticed the shields have pre-set and customisable actions upon detection so you can still have avast take action behind the scenes. Defence+ has nothing to do with avast and as such won't be constrained by the 'avast' silent/gaming mode, strange that.

I guess you didn't read or ignored this in my last post:
Elegant, desirable, preferred behaviour, perhaps not all we are trying to do is suggest a workaround. This one is possibly less onerous to your killing the scheduled scans.

We are trying to help you do what you want within the constraints of the existing program settings, we are avast users trying to help other avast users.

We have given alternatives and it is up to you to choose what to do, as it seems no matter what we say you won't be happy you keep going back to the same thing that single pop-up notification of scheduled scan in progress.

So I'm done.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

VanguardLH

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 06:31:05 AM »
Sorry if I came off as attacking or berating the users here.  While Avast might monitor these forums, I don't consider here as a free venue for support from Avast.  Mostly I'm looking for something other than the response expected from Avast (yeah, it works that way now and you'll have to endure it).  That workarounds were suggested doesn't mean they exhibited less unwanted behavior than the problem that I was trying to correct.  So, yes, suggestions were made but they were unacceptable as the behaviors in using those workarounds were just as intolerable (by me), or more, than the problem that I was trying to resolve.

Sometimes users will tell you how to accomplish a good workaround when the company will keep it secret.  For example, when trialing Avira, I wouldn't have that adware on any of my hosts if it weren't for users that informed me how to remove the parameter in the registry Run key that plasters their adware banner when it loads when I log into my Windows account.  These same users told me about the avnotify.exe which is the adware popup that appears during an update, and while many had several suggestions on how to prevent avnotify.exe from executing I came up with something a bit different by using SRPs (software restrictions policies) to block that executable from ever loading (so an update that replaced the renamed file or overwrote a zero-byte file would still have that same file get blocked from loading). 

From the responses so far, there is no good workaround to get rid of the unwanted popup that appears during a scheduled scan.  Not doing scheduled scans is one suggestion.  That means sacrificing a wanted function of the security program.  Another is to manually switch in and out of game mode.  That means having to remember to do so and then remembering later to undo the change.  I really prefer the software to work automatically, one of the strong points of computers, rather than have me do anything manually.  The other suggestions were doable but not without their defects or unwanted behaviors.  I was hoping someone came up with something that un-did the new change in behavior that appeared in this minor version update.  So the final solution is to decide if I suffer with the popups or move to something else.  I chose the latter.

I'll watch Avast to see if a later version adds the option for users to hide the progress dialog for scheduled scans.  I like Avast and perhaps later I can resume using it.  Since I see no changelog where users can see what changes were made in each version, I'll have to trial a later version (in a virtual machine) and check if the behavior got changed or the user was given an option to hide this popup but such trials are on a random schedule.