Author Topic: Using Avast after a clean reinstall  (Read 3229 times)

sachin273

Using Avast after a clean reinstall
« on: January 19, 2011, 09:49:13 AM »
Hi all.
I am using Windows XP on my desktop and have avast internet security 5 installed on it.
My subscription is valid for approx. 2 years. I plan to make a clean reinstall on my machine.
The license is for 3 computers. Now if i format my computer, and reinstall avast, would that count as computer no. 2?
Help would be greatly appreciated.

SafeSurf

Re: Using Avast after a clean reinstall
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 09:56:39 AM »
Hello sachin273 and welcome to the forum.

If you reinstall and insert your license, I see no reason why it should be for 3 machines.  If you have any problems regarding this, you can contact Avast Sales: http://www.avast.com/contact-form.php?loadStyles - use the drop down menu.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.  Thank you.

YoKenny

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 01:39:09 PM »
Save your licence file on a Flash drive or CD so that you can install it after the clean install.

sachin273

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 04:43:27 PM »
Thank you both for your replies. Well my question is, after a reinstall, is there a possibility that avast would recognize it as a different machine altogether. I don't have a static IP address. And regards to as saving my license somewhere else, i can save it on a different drive (Not flash, on my machine itself) as well, is it not? I will contact avast sales too.
Thanks again.

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 09:41:15 PM »
Well my question is, after a reinstall, is there a possibility that avast would recognize it as a different machine altogether. I don't have a static IP address.

The software does not care what IP address it has.
And regards to as saving my license somewhere else, i can save it on a different drive (Not flash, on my machine itself) as well, is it not?
You can save it on a second hard drive if you have one.

CharleyO

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 08:40:07 AM »

Welcome to the forums, sachin273   :)

Also, the software does not count the number of computers the license is used on but rather the number of times the license is in use.

For example, you have used the 3 license one time and then stop using it for a short time. When you start using it again, and you are still only using it once, it will count as only one use. You still have a total of 3 license.

Another example, you have 3 license and you use each of them on 3 different computers. You stop using one license for a short time but continue using the other 2 license on the other 2 computers. When you start using again the license you stopped using, it is still a total of 3 license in use.

Of course, the license are valid only for a limited time regardless if they are in use or not. Time not in use is time lost.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 08:42:08 AM by CharleyO »