Author Topic: Want "Show detailed info on performed action" option back  (Read 2011 times)

Gharlane

Want "Show detailed info on performed action" option back
« on: January 17, 2011, 12:55:26 AM »
I get the impression I'm very much in the minority here, but I really want the "Show detailed info on performed action" option back in v5. I tried moving from v4 to v5 a year ago, but switched back when I couldn't find the popups. Now it seems 4.8 is going away and I have no choice.

I find it useful as a way to keep track of what's being accessed on my machines. Observe where an installer is dumping stuff.  And a simple way to find where a file is - cause it to be accessed, and watch the popup.

I see that people were complaining about the length of time the remaining popups stay up, with no way to adjust it, and it seems that was finally added as an option. So I know the Powers That Be are not totally oblivious.  I'd even  be happy if the "Show detailed info on performed action" popup was turned on by no more than an INI edit.

Please?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Want "Show detailed info on performed action" option back
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 01:28:36 AM »
Even when this was an option in avast 4.8, when the default setting was not to show; there were many people that were complaining about the screen being taken up with these details. These people didn't know the effect that they were going to have when they tweaked their avast settings to show it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Gharlane

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 08:38:55 PM »
In other words,
Screw You.

Disappointed, but not surprised.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »
Honestly in almost 6 years of using avast 4.x I never felt the need to use this and as I said there were more irate posts in the forums during that time in how do I bl**dy switch it off even though it was disabled by default.

So rather than sc**w anybody they have acted pro-actively and removed the option as part of the avast 5.x updates. There are also cases of suggestions for additions/improvements which have been acted on.

So they do listen and it is a bit of a two way street and not everyone will be pleased with certain aspects of a new version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 02:39:04 AM »
I hadn't noticed this was gone in 5, mainly because I left it disabled in 4.x.  And good riddance, IMHO, the File and Web Shields in particular made using the computer a pain if the detailed info option was active.

Essentially this falls into the same category as using some thought when setting up what gets reported in scan logs.  If I'm doing a full scan, I definitely don't want a massive list of good files included in the log.  Slightly O/T, admittedly, but that's one option in SAS I love, being able to totally disable generating a log if the scan's clean.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent