Author Topic: Update on downloaded file corruption problem  (Read 3946 times)

hake

Update on downloaded file corruption problem
« on: January 20, 2011, 12:22:10 PM »
Ref: post on http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=69484.0

I am closing in on a possible cause.  I use Outpost Firewall Pro 7, Avast free and Threatfire.  I uninstalled Threatfire a few days prior to updating to Avast free 5.1.889.  It seems that Outpost Firewall might have been affected by the removal of Threatfire.  I am about to rewind history and uninstall Outpost then uninstall Threatfire and then reinstall Outpost Firewall.  All four of my systems used Avast, Outpost and Threatfire.

I am pretty sure that Avast is not responsible for the problem.  I have done a system installation just to test Avast 5.1.889 in a clean situation and the problems I described do not occur.  I wanted to let you guys know as soon as possible because I don't want you wasting time on a wild goose chase because I hadn't kept you informed.

The advent of Avast 5.1.889 seems to have coincided with other problems.  This is always a confusing situation.

I will post the outcome of my investigations.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 01:16:05 PM by hake »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Update on downloaded file corruption problem
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 02:11:23 PM »
As you can see from my signature I also use Outpost Firewall Pro, but I don't use threatfire (I have never felt the need) and I have no problems.

The new avast 5.1 has a greater Behaviour Shield, though it is currently running in passive mode gathering data, what it finds is used to fine tune this shield to prevent it being to sensitive and have false positives and not too weak not to catch suspicious behaviour. To me that possibly raises the likelihood of conflict between threatfire and avast's behaviour shield.

However, since you removed threatfire first, that potential for conflict shouldn't exist, so I don't know why it would effect Outpost in this way.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 02:13:08 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hake

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 04:28:26 PM »
Thanks for that DavidR.  I have resolved the problem.  I reinstalled Outpost Firewall Pro and allowed it to disable the Web Control stuff.  Outpost's 'Web Control' rubbed along without protest form either side with Avast 5.0.677 but not with 5.1.889.

I can once again download without problems.

:)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 05:06:29 PM »
You're welcome.

That's strange as essentially the web shield is the same. The only change that I know of is that it can monitor other HTTP connections to ports other than just HTTP port 80.

I have always obeyed the compatibility question Outpost throws up as I have the anti-spyware and web control functions covered by the avast shields. So for the most part I have never seen the need to duplicate these type of things. I have always wanted my firewall to be just that a good firewall which Outpost Firewall Pro is.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hake

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 07:40:22 PM »
The Avast/Outpost combination is working really well.  I think I'll celebrate with my 17th cup of tea today.  Ah, her indoors has already put the kettle on (the wife has brilliant anticipation).
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 08:25:44 PM by hake »