Author Topic: Avast 5.1.889 webshield blocks browser/traffic until its restarted  (Read 6906 times)

Prophet

So every time I boot I have to restart the web shield and then I can browse again. Until then it seems I can randomly reach about 5-10% of the sites I try to reach.

At first I thought this was a problem with outpost, since these dont always play nice togheter but I have enabled 'All traffic' for all avast programs/services (ie avastsvc.exe, avastui.exe).

I checked outpost logs and there is nothing blocked there. Also, the same thing happens when I shut outpost down.

I saw some people had problems in XP. This is win7 64x with all the latest patches.

Ps. This has only started happening after I installed the latest version.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 06:04:46 PM by Prophet »

mangudix

Re: Avast 5.1.889 webshield blocks browser/traffic until its restarted
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 03:50:16 PM »
me also still have the problem at ths new fixed update,,... :( ??? ??? :( :(

Prophet

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 09:31:59 AM »
I first did a repair and then a complete uninstall/reinstall, to no avail.

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 03:05:39 PM »
I have no problems on my Windows 7 system but I do not use outpost though.

Even with outpost shut down its drivers are still active.

Have you tried without outpost being installed ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 05:11:07 PM »
@ Prophet
As you can see from my signature I use Outpost Firewall Pro 7.0.4 no problems with it and avast. You don't say what version of Outpost you are using and this is essential ?

However, when you install Outpost (depends on which version) it should detect that you have avast installed and it will ask you about a compatibility install, e.g. not installing its web control or anti-spyware as avast has both of those functions covered (and much better too). So did this happen and what did you answer ?

So which was installed first ?
If you already had Outpost installed, I don't know if it throws up the compatibility question, so I would suggest that you export your configuration settings so you have a copy that can be imported later.

Uninstall Outpost, reboot, install avast if not still installed. Reinstall Outpost and answer yes to the compatibility question so it doesn't install the web control or anti-spyware modules (you could of course do a custom install excluding those modules). Import your saved configuration file settings and reboot.

@ mangudix
You can answer the same questions too please.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Prophet

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 03:11:30 PM »
Yea on 64x 7.0.4.

I just reinstalled it and made a new ruleset (train for a week) It worked as it should with outpost deinstalled.

Btw, I have previously enabled (not this time) the disabled modules without any hitch. Unless a tool is 100% I like to use several.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 04:17:32 PM »
Yes, but there are several stand alone products as you can see from my signature. I really do like my firewall to be just that a firewall and isolated from other security modules (not integrated).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Prophet

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 10:18:07 AM »
So noone has any idea what could be wrong or how to fix this? I reinstalled both outpost and avast now, to no avail.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 11:19:02 AM »
Prophet, WebShield only scans and does not block clean traffic.
These issues are generally related to the firewall.
Hope David could share his experience with OA and you got solve this.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 04:17:32 PM »
I can't share my experience with OA as I have never used it, I use Outpost ;D

@ Prophet
I asked many question in Reply #4 and without answers I can't help.

Personally I think your many tools is biting you in the rear, that is why Outpost asks the compatibility question to avoid conflict.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 06:13:48 PM »
Sorry, my fault.
The best things in life are free.

Prophet

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 09:11:43 AM »

@ Prophet
I asked many question in Reply #4 and without answers I can't help.

Personally I think your many tools is biting you in the rear, that is why Outpost asks the compatibility question to avoid conflict.

Been upgrading to sandy bridge, hence the lag :)

I usually install Outpost first, right after gfx drivers on any system. Well, it seems I dont have this problem when outpost is installed. I dont understand how this could be if I give all avast processes the right to all traffic.

@Tech. This isnt the first time I have experienced problems with web shield (with our without outpost). Dont get me wrong, I really like avast. It´s free, it´s got incorporated web scanning (unlike the other free av´s) and it performs great (low dpc, important for me since I game some).
I do wish the default settings of reacting (ask instead of quarantine) and that there were less issues with the web module :/

Offline dan323

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 03:15:55 AM »
I know loading web pages is really slow for me. But today after Avast ran a scan it removed my wireless connection to my router. I purchased it 2 weeks ago and am getting very frustrated with slow loading web pages and now the removal of my wireless connections. I am not using outpost,just AIS.

YoKenny

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 02:10:43 PM »
I know loading web pages is really slow for me. But today after Avast ran a scan it removed my wireless connection to my router. I purchased it 2 weeks ago and am getting very frustrated with slow loading web pages and now the removal of my wireless connections. I am not using outpost,just AIS.
Please start your own topic by using NEW TOPIC in:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2.0

That way the helpers can help you with your situation.

Offline jason7619

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 06:54:06 PM »
Using Outpost Pro ver7 and AvastPro in another pc(Windows 7 x32). I installed Avast first before the firewall(usually install the firewall last). As DavidR put it, Outpost detected the avast installation and it asked to if avast was installed and corrected it by not installing WebControl. I experimented on this when I was with Avira Premium(which has WebGuard)/Outpost Pro(and lately on AvastPro/OutpostPto) ...

a)I re-enabled WebControl through the machine.ini file of Outpost and then turned Avira WebGuard off --much faster browsing
b)I re-enabled WebControl through the machine.ini file of Outpost and/with Avira WebGuard on -- slow browsing but can co-exist(though redundant)

c)I re-enabled WebControl through the machine.ini file of Outpost and then turned AvastPro WebShield off --much faster browsing
d)I re-enabled WebControl through the machine.ini file of Outpost and/with AvastPro WebShield on -- slow browsing but can co-exist(though redundant)

Same behavior on two AV's with Outpost Pro ver7 as firewall. I think you just have to correct the compatibility issue with Outpost WebControl as DavidR said or if you are in preference to a number of sites you visit you ca exclude them but Webshield will not protect you( and so as Outpost if you have no WebControl.

Just sharing:)

Avast IS 19.8  /  Malwarebytes Premium / Windows 10 x64 Build 1903 / AMD A10 Processor desktop with R9 Graphics 32GB Ram.