Author Topic: Avast Will Not Update Virus Definitions,Package Is Broken???  (Read 10783 times)

urlnts

Avast Will Not Update Virus Definitions,Package Is Broken???
« on: January 20, 2011, 06:21:27 PM »
Tried repair and update from add/remove ,got errors for both?What now?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast Will Not Update Virus Definitions,Package Is Broken???
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 06:27:19 PM »
Which version are you using?
The best things in life are free.

urlnts

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 06:38:34 PM »
Avast 5.1.889!!Vista,Dell Inspiron 1720!I had trouble when the program update came through and had to uninstall ,I tried a couple of versions until  finally 5.1.889 seemed to fix it,now today I keep getting, last encountered error,Package is Broken???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 08:03:26 PM »
I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.

Major chaos

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 02:19:21 AM »
I have had the same problem. I fixed it by doing an uninstall then a reinstall.
Why do we have this problem with Avast? I've had to do this 3 times since Dec 2010 for program updates also.
You would think Avast could fix this problem. I dumped AVG in Dec cause I got tired of all it's problems but I really like Avast and hope I don't have to look for something else again.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 11:36:36 AM »
Why do we have this problem with Avast? I've had to do this 3 times since Dec 2010 for program updates also.
You would think Avast could fix this problem. I dumped AVG in Dec cause I got tired of all it's problems but I really like Avast and hope I don't have to look for something else again.
There are millions of users with 5.1 version. Better is write down the exactly problem you're facing and help us troubleshoot it.

swarnava

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 12:48:55 PM »

make a new topic please

urlnts

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 04:24:05 PM »
Major chaos,
 I also had to do total  reinstall a few times since the Dec. program update!My Dell 1720 Laptop had a problem with the Dell WLAN and the new programs.I realize now that this last virus def. problem happened as I started the computer  and Avast immediately tried to update,that's when the crash,  blue screen occurred and after restarting the virus defs pop up would continually read "error,package broken"!Tried reboots,repair option,total reinstall was the only thing that fixed it!The only thing that scares me now is that I have gotten a couple of blue screens at start up since the reinstall!I love Avast but wish that I could choose  to update manually after other programs have  started, the way it used to be!Now if you choose that option the yellow caution covers the Avast logo in Notification area and if I remember correctly says  you are not fully protected?Thanks to all for the help!!!

swarnava

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 04:50:55 PM »
Major chaos,
 I also had to do total  reinstall a few times since the Dec. program update!My Dell 1720 Laptop had a problem with the Dell WLAN and the new programs.I realize now that this last virus def. problem happened as I started the computer  and Avast immediately tried to update,that's when the crash,  blue screen occurred and after restarting the virus defs pop up would continually read "error,package broken"!Tried reboots,repair option,total reinstall was the only thing that fixed it!The only thing that scares me now is that I have gotten a couple of blue screens at start up since the reinstall!I love Avast but wish that I could choose  to update manually after other programs have  started, the way it used to be!Now if you choose that option the yellow caution covers the Avast logo in Notification area and if I remember correctly says  you are not fully protected?Thanks to all for the help!!!

do you try tech instruction?

urlnts

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 07:01:54 PM »
do you try tech instruction?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Swarnava/Heaven GOD,
Where can I find this tech instruction?And do you know if there is a way to choose the option to manually update the  virus definitions  without the caution warning over the Notification  logo saying you are not protected?If not,could someone please look into making this an option again as it was in the older versions?My problem seems to be that Avast   on start up is immediately  trying to update as other things are loading?
Thanks for all of the help,
Avast is still the best choice as it has saved me and  also many people that I have recommended it to!
Steven

swarnava

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 07:18:47 PM »
You will find tech's instruction which is located 3rd reply of this topic.
Are you telling about offline update? This is the only process where you can update.download  update from here

http://www.avast.com/download-update

YoKenny

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 07:41:08 PM »
My problem seems to be that Avast   on start up is immediately  trying to update as other things are loading?
Open avast! user interface by right clicking on the icon in the Taskbar then select it then go to SETTINGS then Troubleshooting then select Load avast! services after other system services

urlnts

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 04:51:59 PM »
YoKenny,
 Thanks so much for that tip,everyone at Avast is very helpful!I would still like to be able to check for updates myself,I just wonder why they don't allow that option anymore?
  Now I have another   problem, suddenly after this new reinstall my Vista Superfetch keeps going out ,this has not been a problem before!This problem  seems to happen most when watching a video?Are they going to have another program update or maybe  I should try another complete reinstall?
Thanks Again,
Steve

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 05:00:46 PM »
There is nothing to stop you checking for updates yourself, the manual update checks are still there. From the avastUI, Maintenance, Update.

I don't use Vista, so I can't help on that.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

urlnts

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 05:29:44 PM »
David,
But if  you  turn off the manual update option you get the yellow caution over the logo that says you are not  fully protected and others   using the computer get worried!I just wonder why they don't allow it as they used to?And this is minor compared to the Vista Superfetch problem now happening!
I do appreciate the quick responses and help,
Thanks,
Steve