Author Topic: Avast Will Not Update Virus Definitions,Package Is Broken???  (Read 10745 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast Will Not Update Virus Definitions,Package Is Broken???
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 05:40:33 PM »
But if  you  turn off the manual update option you get the yellow caution over the logo that says you are not  fully protected
You can configure that (Settings > Status bar)
But I really recommend to stay with automatic updates and try to solve the issues.
Please, upload (attach) the avast log: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\Setup\setup.log
(or the shorter C:\Users\All Users\Alwil Software\Avast5\log\Setup.log).

If the file is too big for the forum, post the last 400-500 lines of it.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2011, 07:06:42 PM »
David,
But if  you  turn off the manual update option you get the yellow caution over the logo that says you are not  fully protected and others   using the computer get worried!I just wonder why they don't allow it as they used to?And this is minor compared to the Vista Superfetch problem now happening!
I do appreciate the quick responses and help,
Thanks,
Steve

As Tech said you can change the settings not to monitor that, avast is still one of the most configurable AVs. But it really would be best to resolve the problem rather treat the symptom.

You haven't confirmed that you did do a clean reinstall exactly as per Tech's instructions in Reply #3 of this topic. If not that really should be your first step.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 07:09:31 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

urlnts

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 05:07:57 PM »
As Tech said you can change the settings not to monitor that, avast is still one of the most configurable AVs. But it really would be best to resolve the problem rather treat the symptom.

You haven't confirmed that you did do a clean reinstall exactly as per Tech's instructions in Reply #3 of this topic. If not that really should be your first step.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
David,
  I really like Avast and have recommended it highly and yes it is configurable,but  why can't they just allow the  manual update as they used to without the logo caution and all of the hassle ?I still have a few problems and one  is  Avast still trying to update virus definitions immediately upon start even though I have checked the option to load Avast after other services!
  Also,I did confirm that I had to do  about 3 or 4 total reinstalls in my reply to Major Chaos who was also having  problems!
    There have been numerous  problems ever since the big program update a couple of weeks ago,I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled a few new versions  and things now are still bad or worse with 5.1.889.Presently  it is not only the start up problem  but now I am getting random crashes when just surfing ,mostly when using Firefox and watching videos or posting on message boards!
   **I did not have these problems before all of the recent   program updates!
 Thanks for the help and patience, just trying to get this worked out,especially since I have recommended or  put Avast  on so many other peoples computers!
 Steven

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 06:32:56 PM »
A lot of things have changed in avast 5.x from avast 4.8 some of which simple weren't possible in avast 4.8 whilst retaining compatibility with older OSes.

To start with these extra features are there to ensure that your system is protected and if any element of the protection is disabled you are informed. Personally I don't see this as a lot of hassle when it takes about 15 seconds to override the option on that updates.

The option to load Avast after other (system) services! has nothing to do with the avast update check, they are talking low level drivers, etc. Before that update check can be carried out those avast services must be running and delaying them we are talking a second or two not masses of time.

You should only use this option to load Avast after other (system) services! if you are getting avast errors (e.g. it can't start because a system service it requires hasn't loaded yet) and normally only on the advice of someone that has analysed any problem that you might have.

To help on those issues that you mention we would need detailed information.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

urlnts

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 07:18:36 PM »
David,
 Thanks for the fast replies,no other group would ever be so helpful!I wasn't talking about 4 to 5 ,that went well for all of my computers,it was the program update a few of weeks ago(I think Jan.1) that caused some problems and the continuing version changes!I tried to get the info that Tech talked about but am having trouble finding the correct  file and also how to send it!I am not a really  advanced computer user,as a matter of fact I have been so confused trying to get this fixed that  when Swarnava's post  asked me about Tech  instructions I was looking all over Avast for directions or a  manual and not his post?Shouldn't even have told that,it's  embarrassing?
I'm hoping for another program version update but while waiting  I will probably try another complete reinstall,
Thanks So Much Again,
Steven

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 07:56:14 PM »
There is nothing to be embarrassed about as if something isn't clear just ask, yes it was the Instructions given by 'Tech' in his post, Reply #3 of the first page this topic, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=69811.msg586066#msg586066.

Whilst they appear complex don't look at them as a whole but take things a step at a time in the order given and it should be easier, print the page if need by so you can follow it.