Author Topic: PS/2 to USB  (Read 15192 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: PS/2 to USB
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 04:53:49 PM »
Well have you not tried the google searches suggested.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2011, 05:44:54 PM »
Bellzemos, I can not find anything on this. I searched the Cherry website and could not find any driver downloads or anything in the knowledgebase that would answer this. Maybe you could open a ticket at the Cherry website. I have found ps/2 to usb adapters everywhere (passive). Also have found an adapter that has an integrated circuit built into it. Was about $20 and I don't know if it would solve your problem anyway. To me, it wouldn't be worth the cost especially not knowing if it would actually work.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2011, 07:28:31 PM »
The cheaper option would be to get a cheap usb keyboard (borrow one from a friend) and see if that works, if not then it is more than just the ps2 to usb connector.

You may have to disable the notebook keyboard, something I have seen mentioned in a number of those google search hits. The only problem with this being if you disable the keyboard and the external keyboard (whichever one or connection you use) doesn't work, how do you re-enable it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 01:54:28 AM »
I've searched all over the net for info in this but found nothing useful. Some guy sugested that for PS/2 connection I have to shutdown the laptop, connect the keyboard and then start up the laptop. That didn't help either. When I connect the keyboard the lights on it light for a sec and if I press a key windows notifies me about an error, so that means that there is a signal. I don't know, I can't find any drivers for this, I'm afraid I'll have to discard my good old keyboard. I will probably buy a USB external keyboard but it can't find any that would suit me like the old one. :( Plus I'll have to spend extra money... Well, thank you all anyway. I'm sorry I even bought the PS/2 to USB adapter.
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 02:10:27 AM »
Yes, PS2 connections aren't hot swappable you have to connect then reboot. I permanently have a second mouse (ps2) connected as one of the tools I use before windows boots won't accept my wireless usb mouse.

Tons of cherry usb keyboards out there, http://www.google.com/search?q=cherry+usb+keyboard, click on the Shopping link at the top of the page and you will see lots order by price and you will find some cheap ones.

DukeNukem

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2011, 10:06:38 PM »
If the picture is of the actual item, I don't think it's a PS/2 to USB adapter. It looks like a plug extension which allows a device with both PS/2 and USB (aka "combo") circuitry to connect to a PS/2 port.

Does the keyboard actually say that it supports PS/2 interface?
If it doesn't have a "combo" chip, it won't work.

Spot on.

This is simply a dum converter, ie it simply changes the pin output and does not change the signal. It assumes the keyboard has the intelligence ie the circuitry to change the signal and switch between usb and PS/2 mode.

This is why not all PS/2 keyboards support these PS/2 to USB adapters and likewise why not all USB keyboards support USB to PS/2 adapters.

You can however buy more expensive PS/2 to USB converters that have the circuitry to convert the signal but for the price you may as well buy a usb keyboard.