Author Topic: File cannot be scanned  (Read 8316 times)

mistercee

File cannot be scanned
« on: January 20, 2011, 07:14:40 PM »
D:\i386\Apps\App000554\pss\J4SP8W2K.EXE
Error:reached the end of the file(38)

fernbomb

Re: File cannot be scanned
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 08:33:52 PM »
I got this today as well, with the same problem on J4SP8WXP.EXE too.

I also got "system cannot find the path specified" errors on several files in the avast folder (algo.dll, aswscan.dll, etc) , but a forum search says that it's normal. Not sure if these two errors are related?

fernbomb

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 02:22:54 AM »
I scanned again, the "system cannot find the path specified" errors are gone, but the "reached end of the file" errors the OP and myself have still persist. Any clue what's going on?

Offline cynderella28

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 03:42:26 PM »
I got the same thing yesterday and today also.
Windows 7 | IE9  | Firefox | avast! 2014.9.0.2021| CCleaner | Malwarebytes | Spywareblaster 5.0

CharleyO

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 06:16:19 AM »

This could be a possible sality infection from torrent downloads but I'm not sure.

fernbomb

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 07:19:32 AM »
If it's relevant at all, I don't download torrents.

Offline cynderella28

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 01:23:15 PM »
If it's relevant at all, I don't download torrents.

I don't either. 
Windows 7 | IE9  | Firefox | avast! 2014.9.0.2021| CCleaner | Malwarebytes | Spywareblaster 5.0

mistercee

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 01:26:34 PM »
I also don't download torrents. This problem is on my desktop. Laptop is fine. Both running Vista.
Once again the file is D:\i386\Apps\App000554\pss\J4SP8W2K.exe
Thanks for any help.

Silk0

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 02:06:45 PM »
Send J4SP8W2K.exe to VirusTotal: http://www.virustotal.com/ to find if that .exe is malware or not.

fernbomb

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 05:42:22 AM »
At risk of sounding like a total dummy, all I see in my D: drive is a single file named "System Restore" - which was put there by the computer manufacturer as a recovery partition. I suppose that's where all the files are kept, but I don't know how to extract them out and upload them to VirusTotal.

Wayrest

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 01:09:49 PM »
I have the same error: Reached the end of the file (38)

This is only the second time that Avast! has reported anything unusual, the first being when I first installed it and it apparently found a couple of viruses in a Windows backup file. Also, it is about 8 hours and the first full scan since I installed Internet Explorer 8; I've only been using Firefox before now. Coincidence?

The problem files are in:

D:\System Volume Information\_restore<very long string of numbers and letters>A0139736.EXE|>[EMUL]|>_sfx_manifest_
as above but file A0139737
(it would be very useful if we could copy/paste from the scan results page!)

I can't find this directory, let alone the files, on my D:\ drive but I guess it might be in a partition, as a post above pointed out.

The "apply" button in the scan results is greyed out, so I can't delete or do anything else to these 2 files.

All I really need to know is if this is actually a security problem. I'm undecided about uninstalling (or trying to) IE8.

mistercee

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 03:26:01 PM »
Avast does not let me take any action on this warning. I have reinstalled Avast and have even used an older version and the problem remains. I am unable to upload this file to VirusTotal. Older restore points also do not resolve this. Since I really don't understand if this is a FP and Avast cannot scan it or quarantine it I am using another AV which has no problem with it but I would really like to go back to Avast. My desktop is using Vista Basic, and my laptop which has no problems with Avast is using Vista Premium. Thanks for any help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 06:40:14 PM »
Can you copy the file to another folder and upload to virustotal from there?
The best things in life are free.

RMMACFRU

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 04:06:41 AM »
I've gotten the "some files could not be scanned" message and all the files listed are Avast! files. It states "Error: The system cannot find the path specified (3)"

I made a screen print of the results and it also is not allowing me to take any action other than just closing the results page.

I'm running XP pro on a desktop.

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l16/RavenMerc_MacFru/?action=view&current=avastfileresults.jpg

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 04:19:57 AM »
Nothing to worry about, those are old virus definitions folders and avast is doing some housecleaning to keep the size used on the hard disk to a minimum. This just happens to have occurred between the time you started the scan and it reaching that old defs folder.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security