Author Topic: AVAST for DOS-Windows 3.1x Version 7.7  (Read 9619 times)

Ray

AVAST for DOS-Windows 3.1x Version 7.7
« on: August 30, 2004, 05:55:58 PM »
 ;D I don't know if this is the correct place to ask for help with AVAST for DOS-windows 3.1x version 7.7.
The fact is, that I own a PC that's still running on DOS 6.22 and Windows for Workgroups 3.11. I have downloaded the program from AVAST website and installed it as demo (Only option available to install without a key or license).

Is this product still being offered by AVAST ?
I need to know if I can get a key or license in order to obtain full activation of all features in the program.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Ray.-

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:AVAST for DOS-Windows 3.1x Version 7.7
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 06:19:08 PM »
Yes. There is somewhere on this board, a thread that explains some things about Avast for dos and also has the key. Use the search function. If I remember correctly it was Igor who posted it.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 06:22:51 PM by Eddy »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 12:55:40 AM »
The best things in life are free.

Ray

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 03:27:27 AM »
Thank you very much. It was right there. I will go back to my PC and try to enter the code. Will give you feedback tomorrow.
Greetings from the Caribbean!

PS: AVAST WebSite doesn't make very clear that the DOS version is a freeware, due that is not listed under free downloads.

Thanks again. ;D

whocares

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2004, 01:49:05 PM »
Hi,

can avast for DOS be installed on W2k without any guards or other tasks running in the background ?
would it's On-Demand-Scanner run at all on Win2k (NTFS or Fat32), normally, or only in a DOS-Box.. ?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2004, 08:44:01 PM »
Hi,

can avast for DOS be installed on W2k without any guards or other tasks running in the background ?
would it's On-Demand-Scanner run at all on Win2k (NTFS or Fat32), normally, or only in a DOS-Box.. ?

NTFS will be a restriction of course... You should have a NTFS read/write application.
It would be installed without any guards (residents).
It works with other tasks in background (will have access limitations: files in use). Other limitations from 16bit applications which need direct access to files.
A link will open the program and not a cmd windows, well, it changes a cmd window 'into' itself.
The best things in life are free.

Ray

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2004, 11:37:24 PM »
 ::) Just entered the authorization key and AVAST is now working fine anf fully functional.

Regarding, if AVAST for DOS 7.70 can run in windows 2000, have you considered  a free download of AVAST 4 Home wich is compatible with Windows 95/98/Me/NT4/2000/XP.

For download the english version follow this link:  http://www.avast.com/eng/down_home.html

whocares

AVAST for DOS on W2k-Fat32
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2004, 11:29:00 AM »
Well.. I do have of course avast4Home@home  ;D

Just wanted to know if I could use avast4DOS as a second check/backup-OD-Scanner at university, if it's free, as Technical stated in his above link:
"avast 7.7 for DOS. It's a freeware."

so I could tune my samples submissions to avast-detection and don't have to bother with carting all the stuff home to check whether avast detects it..

Anybody knows if the DOS-version has the same VirusDefinitions and OD-detection capabilities as avast4Win ? Or does it detect only DOS-/Win3x-viruses ???

P.S.: and my Malware-Scan/collect-area is a Fat32-partition under Win2k
« Last Edit: September 02, 2004, 11:31:02 AM by whocares »

whocares

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2004, 04:56:41 PM »
Oh well, seems like it's only free 4 Home use, too..

-> so less samples  for avast :P

Ray

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2004, 09:39:30 PM »
I don't know if I'm off limits by suggesting this, but it seems to me that you need to scan files at university before downloading them in your home PC.

If this is the case, and you can't have an AVAST free product for this, you may want to check the "on demand scanner" from F-PROT. It is for DOS, but I'm not sure if it works under windows 2000. It does work in Win98. Once again NTFS may become a problem. ???

whocares

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2004, 11:40:43 AM »
Hi Ray,

thx for the suggestion..  ;)

I don't really NEED another Virusscanner for protection.... ;D

I'd just like to have a legal possiblilty to scan some malware-samples on non-home computers.. to submit them them to avast if undetected.. ;)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2004, 12:25:24 PM »
Yes, avast for DOS works under Windows (95-XP) but I'm not sure if it's detection capabilities are the same as of the Windows version.

If it's still the case, it probably won't be the case forever - maintaining DOS compatibility would a big overhead for us in the long haul...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

whocares

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2004, 05:54:43 PM »
Hi,
well, then avast4dos is not what I want, and anyway, this issue is now obsolete, as you have enabled Jotti to include avast in his OnlineScan page

Big Thanks, Vlk... :) :)
I will repay you with some more samples.. ;D ;D ;)