Author Topic: Avast Update to 5.1.889 "breaks" Windows 7 Home Premium x64  (Read 12635 times)

cardocpdx

Avast Update to 5.1.889 "breaks" Windows 7 Home Premium x64
« on: January 22, 2011, 02:48:51 AM »
I find several threads that all seem to be on this same topic.

I posted earlier today at http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=69526.0

Quoted text follows
----------- begin quote ------------
3 week old install of Windows 7 Home Premium x64.  Fully patched.  Windows firewall, Windows defender and no other "security" software.

System will boot but at log on a "userinit.exe error occurs and freezes system.  ALT+CTL+DEL does bring up the screen to start task manager etc.

Since last night I have:
1) Restored from backup 2 days old
2) Installed avast update again
3) System broken - Can't log on.
4) F8 and system Restore (2 day old restore point). Could log on but most applications won't open.
4) Boot to safe mode and uninstall Avast
5) Able to log on, applications work.  Clean install of current download from avast
6) Boot time scan (1 suspicious file deleted from Chrome Cache)
7) System broken - Can't log on.
----------- End quote -----------------

8) booted to safe mode and un-installed Avast.

I've been using Avast for 4 years and have never had an issue.  This however is very flustrating.

Does anyone have and installer for a verson of Avast 5 earlier than 5.1.889 for a x64 system?

rickz

Re: Avast Update to 5.1.889 "breaks" Windows 7 Home Premium x64
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 03:49:02 AM »
I'm using win 7(64) and current avast and had absolutely no problem.

Gargamel360

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 04:02:31 AM »
I'm using win 7(64) and current avast and had absolutely no problem.
Yeah same here. 

@cardocpdx;  FileHippo is a website that carries previous version of Avast!.
Another possible thing to check would be re-install current Avast!, but do not install the Behavior Shield when you do.

sded

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 04:41:08 AM »
I am another user of W7x64 Home Premium who has had no problems with Avast! during the entire beta cycle.  Since you have a new W7x64 installation, how did you get it?  Did you do an upgrade of an existing computer, buy a new computer (perhaps with preinstalled Norton or something else you deleted) or some other way?

azism

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 04:52:46 AM »
Avast has normally been troublefree for me. However, I am having one really weird problem on my laptop with AIS 5.1.889. On the PC it works fine and the computers are virtual copies of each other. The OS's are Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, the architecture is AMD, 4GB of memory in both and so forth. Most programs that I use on both are the same.

However, when doing a Complete System Scan on the laptop, it always locks up the computer at about 67% while scanning the "c:\windows\winsxs" folder. No solution yet. Except maybe one, it will complete the scan in Safe Mode, but that's not an ideal solution.   >:(

sded

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 04:56:52 AM »
Have you run a chkdsk to fix file errors just in case?

Tyreman

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 06:09:36 AM »
Once I did a clean install on 7 Pro 64 bit all is now okay.
Other than the server update issue the other day
Did the another computer with Vista 64 bit and just updated the program........... I expected trouble but got none.
And another computer with 7 Ultimate 64 bit just updated the program its okay (I also expected trouble)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 06:12:30 AM by Tyreman »

cardocpdx

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 06:33:36 AM »
Further Info.

My install is a clean install from a Windows 7 retail disk.  Drive was formated by windows installer at time of install.

Drive is clean, no errors with check disk and WD Diagnostics gives it a clean bill of health.  I have recovered (again) from backup and am currently running with Avast version 5.0.677 and updates turned off.

FWIW 3 other computers in the house (1-W7 x64 1-Vista x32 1-Vista x64) are all running fine with latest Avast.

The ONLY things I run that runs as a background process is a Virtual DVD (not daemon tools) and the "connector" for my home server from M$.  Everything else is plain vanilla Win7.  This is my "reliable" machine and I attempt to keep it lean and mean.  The Vista x64 machine is my "play" computer and I expect to have to restore it 3 or 4 times a year. 

dinag

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 12:07:20 PM »
Same problem with windows 7 64 bit ultimate.
When will avast bring out a stable version?
5.1.889 is rubbish.
It cost me already several days to reinstall a backup. :-\

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 03:03:13 PM »
5.1.889 is rubbish.
Not really. It brings quite a lot of improvements.
I'm glad to have participated on the beta phase and I could have all "my" troubles be solved.
It's running smoothly in my computer (not precisely a common one... If it runs in my computer, it could run in quite a lot of others as, generally, I have a complex installation).
The best things in life are free.

Silk0

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 03:14:09 PM »
Working fine here as already said on the original topic of version 5.1.889.. I also participated in the beta testing and had 0 problems since the 3~4 betas of avast! 5.1.
Never saw a serious issue topic by any avast! evangelist since the release of the stable (last) version..
Now the thing I don't understand is when people have the OS fully updated, patched and when is everything running OK, avast! comes and ruins everything.. kinda strange, hein?

But back on topic, I'll suggest you to install a earlier version of avast! (per example: 5.0.677) and see if you have a similar problem.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 03:16:27 PM »
Now the thing I don't understand is when people have the OS fully updated, patched and when is everything running OK, avast! comes and ruins everything.. kinda strange, hein?
Computering is not an exact science :)
The best things in life are free.

sded

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 04:00:32 PM »
Don't know what your "connector" is, but have you tried "disconnecting" it to see if you can login then.  Need to look for what is conflicting with Avast! so the developers can investigate further.  There are millions of Avast! users with W7x64 not broken, which doesn't help your problem.
Another approach is to do a custom Avast! install with only the file shield, and if the problem goes away add in the network and behavior shields (others as necessary) until the problem recurs.  There have still been some problems reported with the behavior shield but haven't seen this one.
Further Info.

My install is a clean install from a Windows 7 retail disk.  Drive was formated by windows installer at time of install.

Drive is clean, no errors with check disk and WD Diagnostics gives it a clean bill of health.  I have recovered (again) from backup and am currently running with Avast version 5.0.677 and updates turned off.

FWIW 3 other computers in the house (1-W7 x64 1-Vista x32 1-Vista x64) are all running fine with latest Avast.

The ONLY things I run that runs as a background process is a Virtual DVD (not daemon tools) and the "connector" for my home server from M$.  Everything else is plain vanilla Win7.  This is my "reliable" machine and I attempt to keep it lean and mean.  The Vista x64 machine is my "play" computer and I expect to have to restore it 3 or 4 times a year.  
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 04:14:49 PM by sded »

cardocpdx

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 04:35:29 AM »
The connector is for Windows Home Server (WHS) from M$.  It seems to be mostly a front end for remote desktop.  It queries the server for status on load.  On demand it remotes into the control console on the server.  It is possible that it somehow modifies the parameters used by/passed to userinit.exe.  The connector service also runs on my other W7x64 machine without issue.

The WHS connector service is (aparently) not the culprit.  It was set to NOT autoload during a portion of the time that I was unable to log in (except in safe mode). 

My theory is that Avast is falsely flagging userinit.exe as dangerous and not allowing it to run which kills the log on process.

System file checker says that the file is un-modified since install.  Avast 5.0.667 does not tag my copy of userinit.exe as dangerous.

My other W7x64 machine's copy of userinit is exactly the same size.  I didn't hash them or run a compare so I can't guarantee that they are identical.

Apparently the issue is not as wide spread as I initally thought.  It looks as if my machine and a couple at http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=69526.0 are the only ones that are having this issue, and all but mine are running multiple security products and/or have changed brand of AV (potential incomplete un-installs of other products). 

I don't want to leave Avast so my plan is to stay with 5.0.667 for a couple months and then revisit the upgrade situation.

Avast has a KILLER product and I still recommend them highly, which is why I took the trouble to (try and) communicate my problems to assist them in continuing to have the best AV out there.

sded

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 04:42:18 AM »
A quick try at a fix is to go back to .889 but do a custom install and do not install the Behavior Shield, which seems to have caused similar problems on occasion and has had significant changes since the version you are using now.  Please give that a try, since if it works it will help the developers isolate the problem.