Author Topic: [Resolved] Disable Avast?  (Read 4910 times)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
[Resolved] Disable Avast?
« on: January 22, 2011, 03:40:06 AM »
When I use WinUtilities Free to defrag the registry it wants me to disable my anti-virus. Is this safe? Or could it be spyware, malware or worse? I think I know the answer. I just want to be safe. And besides I don't know how to disable avast free. Yes, I also use CCleaner. I found WinUtilities Free does different tasks than CCleaner.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 10:38:13 PM by Para-Noid »
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Disable Avast?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 04:05:09 AM »
When I use WinUtilities Free to defrag the registry it wants me to disable my anti-virus. Is this safe? Or could it be spyware, malware or worse? I think I know the answer. I just want to be safe. And besides I don't know how to disable avast free. Yes, I also use CCleaner. I found WinUtilities Free does different tasks than CCleaner.

I wouldn't disable my Anti Virus for any application. As a matter of fact I have used many many Reg Defrag software both Free and Professional and not once have I been asked to disable anything.
Loke you said....you know the answer. :-\ :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 04:35:46 AM »
There is absolutely no way I would even consider that, if the application requests stuff like that it is history on my system. You have to wonder what it is doing that might be considered bad enough to trigger an AV.

If what it is doing is legit then it shouldn't present a problem (like I said if it even asks it is history on my system), but I guess they are worried about paranoid (excuse the pun, I couldn't help myself) heuristics/HIPS/behaviour monitors, etc. might consider it suspect.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
[Resolved]Re: Disable Avast?
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 05:08:46 AM »
I was right...I did know the answer. BTW I did not disable Avast. Schmidthouse I do enjoy a pun. After all that is one reason I chose "Para-Noid".
Thanks to both of you.
ps keep the puns coming.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: [Resolved]Re: Disable Avast?
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 05:17:28 AM »
I was right...I did know the answer. BTW I did not disable Avast. Schmidthouse I do enjoy a pun. After all that is one reason I chose "Para-Noid".
Thanks to both of you.
ps keep the puns coming.

I cannot take the credit for the 'pun'
All the credit goes to DavidR ;)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: [Resolved]Re: Disable Avast?
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 06:16:42 AM »
Thanks to both of you.
ps keep the puns coming.

I cannot take the credit for the 'pun'
All the credit goes to DavidR ;)
You aew right...I'm sorry DavidR

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 06:20:33 AM »
Is it possible that the application is valid, and suggesting that the AV be disabled, just to slightly speed up the defrag process, rather than requiring it to be disabled?

The help or info files might say.

If it was indeed the former, and it made a big difference to the time, I might consider it. (And go offline to do so.)
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 02:51:31 PM »
Most good defraggers operate at a very low level and would actually see little in the way of AV scan activity. I use Puran Defarg and it is very fast and I don't see much in the way of avast scan activity.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 05:55:15 PM »
It has something to do with registry activity being lost after the re-boot. I have in the past closed all applications running except avast. I don't want to lose the protection at all.