Author Topic: Avast's New Upgrade  (Read 4068 times)

tfanatik

Avast's New Upgrade
« on: January 22, 2011, 06:54:57 AM »
It trashed my laptop, it trashed my mother's computer. I was using a 'vista ready' laptop, never installed vista, I don't remember what my operating system was, I know it wasn't 7, but I can't get anything. Computer comes on and gets to Windows screen then restarts. As I can't download anything to my machine, and as I can't go in and 'fix' Avast, what should I do now?

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast's New Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 07:35:02 AM »
welcome to the forum. my father had the same problem on an xp computer.
the instruction i gave to him was boot the computer in safe mode uninstall avast or use the uninstall tool from the avast homepage. (never had any problem sens then i can add)

reboot

download the new version of avast from avast.com

run the registry cleaner in the cclener to delete any left over files from avast.

install the new version you downloaded from avast.com

registry the program for 12 mount of license

and last update the virusdatebase.

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility - link to the uninstall tool

http://www.avast.com/index- link to the avast homepage

and http://www.piriform.com/ - link to the cclener

good luck let us know on your progress.
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

MAG

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 03:44:16 PM »
@tfanatik,
Mikaelrask assumes you know how to boot into safe mode (which I certainly didn't when I first needed this forum. If you don't, just ask him.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 03:47:00 PM »
For CCleaner without the Ask ToolBar, download the Slim version.  Go to http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds and scroll down to the bottom of the page and you'll see it.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

tfanatik

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 03:02:24 AM »
Thank you, I'm a happy camper! It worked like a charm..can now see tennis on my computer now! Didn't have a problem. Am worried. Will the next update crash my computer? Do I have to be worried?

tomtomboombang

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 03:51:52 AM »
uuuuuuuuhhhhhh.  Piniform CCleaner is $25.  One of the free CCleaners I used wiped out my access to XP's Defragger, through the Accessories folder in New Programs.  Half the people using their computer would never know it was missing because they never defrag.  Now I have to go in through the MyComputer and find Defrag on the "C:" hard drive in order to get it started.

I just looked at Piniform's "Defraggler" and and guess what; its $25  Isn't it interesting how these CCleaners disconnect your Defragger and then offers to give it back for another $25? 

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 05:27:56 AM »
uuuuuuuuhhhhhh.  Piniform CCleaner is $25.  One of the free CCleaners I used wiped out my access to XP's Defragger, through the Accessories folder in New Programs.  Half the people using their computer would never know it was missing because they never defrag.  Now I have to go in through the MyComputer and find Defrag on the "C:" hard drive in order to get it started.

I just looked at Piniform's "Defraggler" and and guess what; its $25  Isn't it interesting how these CCleaners disconnect your Defragger and then offers to give it back for another $25? 

Piriform CCleaner, Recuva, Defraggler and Speccy are free for home use.  You can make a donation if you want.  Where exactly did you get charged $25 for a free program?  I've used CCleaner for years and never had a problem with it.

They did just come out with CCleaner Network Edition on Monday, January 24, 2011 which is not free.  http://www.piriform.com/business/ccleaner-network-edition
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 06:29:00 AM »
tomtomboombang, I would like to know where you were asked to pay for defraggler and ccleaner as well ??? as Gopher John has mentioned they are free program's for home use.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 06:30:32 AM by craigb »