Author Topic: Best online backup  (Read 15312 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Best online backup
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2011, 03:41:43 PM »
I see, pay for bandwidth... When that occurs with my ISP, I'll drop Mozy or use it into my bandwidth limits...
The best things in life are free.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2011, 04:20:07 PM »
Me I'm the trusting sort (NOT) and won't place my backups in the hands of others, even if it is encrypted (and encryption under whose control), who is to say when they might stop the service and your access to the backups is toast.

Uploading masses of data could take some time also, I much prefer to do my backups on my system where they are in my control. They can be to an external hard disk, USB or DVD, etc. so all isn't lost if you have a problem that necessitates the backup if you haven't got access to the internet.

I completely agree.  Yet there are times where a fire or other disaster could happen.  If you're away from your home or can't get to the drives fast enough, you're SOL.  Online backup or off-site is still needed if you REALLY want to make sure your stuff is recoverable.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Joe S

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2011, 11:03:38 PM »
I use multiple external hard drives because problems can happen in external drives much easier than internal. I tried the Smartware that came with one of my WD drives. I removed it after first backup. When I rebooted it pushed ram usage past 7 gig scanning for changes! The only Smart person in that project is the one that sold them the software.
Joe

roro

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2011, 08:10:21 AM »
Wow!!!
What a lot of information.  It will take me a few days to go through all these suggestions.  Is there anyone on this site that does use Carbonite?
I haven't noticed it was mentioned here, but I have gone to some websites reviewing it.
Again an automatic backup would be reassuring.
RoRo

CharleyO

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2011, 08:48:53 AM »

I have a Seagate FreeAgent as my external backup hard drive. It can and will do automatic backups at a time you select.

The strange thing is that a Carbonite offer came with the drive. I did not try it's free time-limited offer as that is why I bought the Seagate external drive. Why would I want to trust my backups with a time-limited offer?

I too am like David in that I am not trusting with on-line backups. Someone else would have control of my data.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 08:50:28 AM by CharleyO »

disPlay

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2011, 01:26:27 PM »
Plus with so many ISPs starting to use low caps online backup is getting harder to use.
Can you elaborate?

disPlay, I don't understand your situation.
My information I've taken here: http://www.wuala.com/en/pricing/

If you share a bit of your hard drive you can earn online space in wuala. And your account gets pro. Per computer you can Share up to 100 GB of your harddrive and you can earn per computer up to 100 GB of cloud space. I'm Sharing 10 GB of local space and I am wining  wining 12 GB.

1 GB- Starting Space
3 GB- People that I invite to enter in wuala(Referals)
7.9 GB- Space I earn by trading storage.

Total=12 GB basicly for free.

I use also the Wuala Sync option to sync the information to another computer in My LAN network, So I can Have the information in the cloud and Also on my computer if wuala fails.

Encryption: http://www.wuala.com/blog/2011/01/why-encryption-matters.html
This explains how wuala works.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 01:30:21 PM by disPlay »

YoKenny

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2011, 02:46:36 PM »
I too am like David in that I am not trusting with on-line backups. Someone else would have control of my data.
I like to have my backus where I can see them and if I was paranoid then I would keep my latest backup in a safety deposit box at my bank as I can walk there and be able to retrieve my data and get a loan to replace my damaged systems.  ;D

Joe S

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2011, 07:33:55 PM »
Roro
You definitely do not want the Western Digital Smartware or Anytime Backup they offer. They are both buggy crap.
Joe

YoKenny

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2011, 01:26:25 PM »