Poll

Does Avast should start a online bugtracker for gathering all bug?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Bug tracker for 5.1.889  (Read 9182 times)

urlnts

Re: Bug tracker for 5.1.889
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 05:18:30 PM »
Just adding what bugs I have encountered and the new one with Vista Superfetch.
I thought  that all was fixed after the program updates and the  problem with the Dell WLAN and crashes at startup!But after another  blue screen on   start up the virus defs. would not go through and read "package is broken",the only thing that finally fixed it was another complete reinstall!I  have gotten  one   crash since but NOW the bigger  problem is that Vista Superfetch has stopped working a couple of times,I think it's mostly when a video is playing in Firefox Browser,didn't have this trouble before?
Thanks for all of  the help,
Steve
Dell 1720 Inspiron Laptop,Vista Home Premium,Avast 5.1.889, Firefox 3.6.13

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2011, 05:52:12 PM »
They had a bug tracker...
http://bt.avast.com/main_page.php
Seems it's not live anymore...
The best things in life are free.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2011, 06:08:01 PM »
They had a bug tracker...
http://bt.avast.com/main_page.php
Seems it's not live anymore...
Probably a good thing
The problem with that was that it was more of an internal thing, and to view it you had to register, and then anyone could just go posting randomly...I had this discussion with one of the avast! team a while ago who had it in his sig...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2011, 06:14:28 PM »
Scott, did you load the page? I mean, I can't... Can you?
The best things in life are free.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2011, 06:20:16 PM »
No, I can't.

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/bt.avast.com/main_page.php

It wasn't really useful for us users, more for the Devs to keep track of the bugs they need to work on

Nesivos

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 06:39:54 PM »
So let's start with you, Swarnava.
What bug in avast 5.1.889 affects you, exactly?

Thanks
Vlk

I don't know if this Vik and you are the same person

Greetings from Redmond
August 28th, 2009 vlk

We have spent the last week in the main Microsoft campus in Redmond, WA, making sure avast! works great on Windows 7. As a matter of fact, we have had two teams here working in parallel: one that takes care of interoperability issues (interoperability with both the new OS as well as other software applications) and one for the logo certification.

And what a week it was!

During that time, we tested avast with over 15 other low-level applications and fixed a few compatibility issues. For example, we made sure avast! works flawlessly with the upcoming Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) – a program that has severe issues with the current avast beta build 5.0.89, by the way (so this will be fixed in the next beta build, due in a couple of days).

http://blog.avast.com/2009/08/28/greetings-from-redmond/

What I can tell you is that I did download and install MSE on one of my W7 X64 with 4GB computers based upon the above and the below from the Windows 7 Forum

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/102772-running-avast-mse-together.html

Thread title

Windows 7 - Running Avast and MSE together

The general opinion of the posts on the above indicate that they can be run together.

There was some difficulty in getting MSE installed including multiple sequential updates.  When I did finally get it installed I ran a quick scan and it ran quickly.  Then I ran a complete scan and it was so slow that I stopped it.

Then when my nightly AIS 5.1.889 scan ran it Identified a MSE file as a threat.   However the worst of it was that with MSE installed my AIS scans, I also ran a quick scan, started to take about 3 times longer than then normally do.

Now in all fairness to MSFT there is a warning during the install of MSE  that says to the effect.  "We have identified another AV program on your computer installing MSE may result in a significant slow down in the scanning of your AV program"

I uninstalled MSE no problem and now AIS is back to regular speedy scan self. :) :)

Conclusions:

1.  MSE did what it said it was going to do and gave a heads up on the slower scans with AIS
2.  AIS got a big stomachache and hangover from living with MSE
3.  I threw MSE out of the house.
4.  Maybe the blog post above should be removed or updated.

MAG

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 07:48:29 PM »
I think that it might be quite enlightening to the Avast staff to compare the IPs of posters on these forums to the IPs of machines connecting to the Avast update servers. 

Off topic I know, but I'm not sure if this would actually provide any useful info. I check the IP address that Gmail records me as having accessed it from daily, and it changes every day (yet I stay in exactly the same place (to with six inches)!).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2011, 07:54:06 PM »
IP addresses are assigned dynamically by your ISP/Service provider and have no bearing on where your bricks and mortar are located. You can track an IP but all it should provide is the location of the ISP.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2011, 08:19:51 PM »
@Nesivos : not surprising that an MSE full scan  was "so slow": archive scanning is enabled by default on MSE; doesn't matter that much on a quick scan, but yeah, you got the idea. Disable that and you'll be fine. This said MSE caches stuff somehow, as subsequent quick scans for instance are faster and faster.

This said I wouldn't run both at the same time, no matter what's been said. Appears to me more like marketing strategy to claim that a product will be compatible with an MS security software, when everyone knew in advance that MSE would become popular ;)MSE is an AV like any AV and will require exclusive access to malware if detected, meaning that the risk of seeing two AVs blocking each other still remains. And even without that, what's the point of running MSE when you got Avast installed anyway ::)

Nesivos

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 08:54:04 PM »
@Nesivos : not surprising that an MSE full scan  was "so slow": archive scanning is enabled by default on MSE; doesn't matter that much on a quick scan, but yeah, you got the idea. Disable that and you'll be fine. This said MSE caches stuff somehow, as subsequent quick scans for instance are faster and faster.

This said I wouldn't run both at the same time, no matter what's been said. Appears to me more like marketing strategy to claim that a product will be compatible with an MS security software, when everyone knew in advance that MSE would become popular ;)MSE is an AV like any AV and will require exclusive access to malware if detected, meaning that the risk of seeing two AVs blocking each other still remains. And even without that, what's the point of running MSE when you got Avast installed anyway ::)

Good points

I agree that there is no point in running MSE when you have AIS.

I was just testing based upon the information in those two links.

I test various programs from time to time just like I also tested Soluto which was mentioned on this forum.  My experience with Soluto was the worst.  I won't go into details other than to say that it did not find anything that would improve my boot times unless you count taking two boot programs out of the boot time which saved a total of about 2 seconds which I am sure is about what was added by having Soluto run at boot which is done by design.  Uninstalling it and removing its left over garbage was a nightmare.

That is what happens sometimes when you try new programs. :) :) except of course with AIS betas :)

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2011, 09:47:35 PM »
So let's start with you, Swarnava.
What bug in avast 5.1.889 affects you, exactly?

Thanks
Vlk

I don't know if this Vik and you are the same person

It is VLK, not Vik.  I have no problems accepting the fact that he is the same.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Forrestc

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2011, 01:33:59 AM »
Since this is the 5.1.889 bug tracker thread here is what I found:

Updated from 5.0.545 (free) which works with no problems.  I uninstalled 5.0.545 using awscleat5.exe in safe mode.

Under 5.1.889 (free) Outlook 2007 will not launch.  Also some programs in start-up fail and boot time is exceedingly slow and system seems generally unstable.

After that experience, I uninstalled 5.5.889 using awscleat5.exe in safe mode and reinstalled 5.0.545.

With 5.0.545 reinstalled everything works with no problems again.

I will have to stay with 5.0.545 until a solution is found.

System:

Lenovo D10 Workstation, dual Xeon 5405 CPUs, 12gb memory.
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.
Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007.
Latest Microsoft patches installed.