Author Topic: "Network Shield" issue  (Read 6043 times)

EstelleAre

"Network Shield" issue
« on: January 22, 2011, 09:30:22 PM »
Windows 7, "Network Shield" when using "Internet Explorer can not display the webpage" is displayed.
 Windows 7 or Sp1 are both displayed the same results.
 avast! "Network Shield" OFF -> Internet Explorer, the normal output.
 All the same, changing the hardware drivers and software.
 If you try 10 times, more than 3 times are displayed.

Test Environment
 Windows 7 64bit + Sp1 (vista and xp than if you did not)
 avast! IS Ver. 5.1.889 (free version of the same results)
 Internet Explorer 8 (32bit and 64bit the same results)

Hermite15

Re: "Network Shield" issue
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 09:48:35 PM »
any web page in IE? ... okay could you post a screen shot of the popup? ... ok no need, I assume it's an IE popup similar to what happens when a site is unreachable or Internet access is lost.

ps: are you running Seven SP1 RC? ... hope you're not on the beta anymore. Also, IE8 or IE9 (beta) ? one last thing, we're talking about the network shield right? ... not the web shield, because a few people seem to confuse boths sometimes...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 11:32:01 PM »
I'm somewhat confused by this as the Network shield doesn't filter or scan web pages, it checks the IP/domain name against its malicious sites list and would alert if it were a malicious site, blocking that site.

You aren't saying you are getting an alert so I can't see how it can block without alerting and how it resolves it by disabling the network shield.

The web shield filters http traffic and scans it and again that doesn't block but alerts to malicious content. As Logos says this is the most likely shield to be involved, but then again only if it alerts.

If it doesn't alert then there is something else in the mix, firewall actually blocking the web shield or a conflict with another security application.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 11:01:44 AM »
yeah, some people have reported off an on browser symptoms like that with no alert at all, just a loss of connectivity, and mostly with the web shield. The only thing that I actually saw was a temporary loss of connectivity while turning the web shield off and on and a browser is open. Always found it normal (proxy switch)although even that doesn't seem to happen anymore.

The network shield is indeed very unlikely to cause such issues, unless it suddenly started to block all domains.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 04:01:41 PM »
Yes, but the network shield doesn't have a blocking function without the associated alert, that is what the point of confusion is, certainly for me.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 04:13:42 PM »
Yes, but the network shield doesn't have a blocking function without the associated alert...

nor does the web shield (unless notification has been turned off purposely, which indeed you can't do with the network shield)... and several people complained about blocked internet access when the web shield was just "on"... and no alert at all.