Author Topic: News about avast 6... well, not so new... Some of them could be fantastic!  (Read 71587 times)

sded

Re: News about avast 6... well, not so new... Some of them could be fantastic!
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 11:50:48 PM »
Just a couple of immediate comments:

3. Reset button:  How about a save and restore button instead. I am not looking for just a reset; I want to be able to save and restore any settings.  Have different configurations for different purposes, especially the firewall.  An autosave of the initial installation of a version would be nice, but not necessary.

4. Since many of us already have something like WebRep in one form or another, I guess I miss the innovation part, although having a version from Avast! is certainly nice.  Opera already gives me fraud and malware warnings from Netcraft Phishtank and lets me report sites directly from Opera.  I presume other browsers have something similar.  And I also have Prevx Safeonline (many have the free version) which also allows me to set security policy for a site based on reputation or characteristics.  Many also use WOT (I don't), which seems like a mixed bag from user reports.  And OA supplies trust status by domain and an advanced banking mode to essentially lock down financial institutions.  I guess I need to understand WebRep's eventual niche better.

OFF TOPIC: What the user input/reputation/voting type programs generally share is a lack of insight into the risks of either declaring a site malicious or not.  And under what criteria that should be done-raw user counts/percentages are not the answer.  Generally the impacts of FA's are much less than the impacts of False Dismissals (declare a malware site as OK) since they are much easier to undo, so the user needs help in understanding how high a percentage of users need to call out a site as safe in order to really declare it safe.  And how confident you are based on user count and other factors also.  And what to do about the effects of users declaring sites safe just so they can get access to the dirty movies no matter what. (I have a true life 80+YO example I have been trying to help ;) ).  And how many users went along with the WebRep recommendation and then had to do things over.  The Prevx type approach of taking much of this out of the users hands has a lot of benefits technically, but brings in some other problems like privacy and user control-more instrumentation and decision making aids do look like the proper avenue though.  But probably far beyond the intent of WebRep.   8)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 12:40:16 AM by sded »

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2011, 11:53:03 PM »
I don't understand that "SafeZone" thing. Is it virtualization, or rather a "secure" desktop like UAC does when prompting?

Imagine it as a new desktop - you can switch from default desktop to secured desktop. This 2nd desktop is ideal for applications you'd like to isolate from the rest of already running applications in the system (windows/dialogs running on the 2nd desktop cannot be touched/read/monitored from the default one), etc. Good for web browsing, banking, shopping...

In the first version, the only app which can be executed there will be a special web browser. But we plan to support all other apps (however, this requires some GUI settings and this is not ready yet).

Hey Petr :)

Can you already show us something from SafeZone next month in Prague ???

Greetz, Red.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 11:57:49 PM by Rednose »
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 12:05:02 AM »
I like sded's idea. A "save and/or restore" button would be good. Even the modified sandbox would be nice.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 01:45:55 AM »
The ability to save your current settings and the ability to import saved settings is I feel essential. I have recently done a number of clean installs on two systems and boy would it have saved a lot of time not having to manually set all my customisations, exclusions, etc.

Whilst the Restore defaults is a step in the right direction, I don't think it as essential as being able to save the existing settings and import previously saved settings. After all a clean reinstall will restore defaults.

Another option that has been previously mentioned is to flag default settings with an * in the UI.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2011, 01:56:39 AM »
DavidR has a point here ( Again, as useal :P ). I agree :)

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2011, 02:02:13 AM »
I not too sure about the reset button. If someone uses the settings right they shouldn't have to reset. I have avast just the way I want it and if the process cannot be undone I could lose all my settings. Not a good idea! Leave the reset button out (my opinion).
Seems it is configurable, i.e., you can reset program settings and the custom scannings.
This is an old wish of a lot of users. I think a great improvement since version 4.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2011, 02:04:19 AM »
Imagine it as a new desktop - you can switch from default desktop to secured desktop. This 2nd desktop is ideal for applications you'd like to isolate from the rest of already running applications in the system (windows/dialogs running on the 2nd desktop cannot be touched/read/monitored from the default one), etc. Good for web browsing, banking, shopping...
Fantastic idea! Congratulations!

In the first version, the only app which can be executed there will be a special web browser. But we plan to support all other apps (however, this requires some GUI settings and this is not ready yet).
Would we be able to install applications in this secure desktop?
Does it virtualizes the system file and registry?

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2011, 02:11:38 AM »
1. I like the reset to defaults option. Also, really like DavidR suggestion of save and restore configurations. It would be handy to be able to restore your "personal" defaults/preferences.

2. Auto-sandboxing: I assume that this will be done using a whitelist? Just wondering how a program will be rated as suspicious? And will we be able to exclude programs?

3. WebRep: Browser add-on. Won't slow things down will it?

4. SafeZone: Is this a virtualized desktop and will all data be safely deleted upon exiting?

5. I hope the GUI remains uncluttered.

6. Can't wait to try it all. Like a kid in a candy store. Thanks
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 02:16:48 AM by Charyb »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2011, 02:11:58 AM »
sded, I share with you some of your opinions about ratings and site reputation. I think it is for experts and not for users polls. But I'm thinking it not like a security tool but just an indication of the site type, very useful imho for the search pages if it gets populated, i.e., if people take time to vote.

The ability to save your current settings and the ability to import saved settings is I feel essential.
Indeed it will help a lot. Hope we can do this step forward in the future versions.
At least the reset button is a movement toward that.

Whilst the Restore defaults is a step in the right direction, I don't think it as essential as being able to save the existing settings and import previously saved settings. After all a clean reinstall will restore defaults.
But, at least, for common users, it will save some time and don't require the uninstall/reinstall procedure.

Another option that has been previously mentioned is to flag default settings with an * in the UI.
Could be good. But will change the interface a lot and there are numbers, written text, etc. that is difficult to set what is default and what is not.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2011, 02:14:20 AM »
2. Auto-sandboxing: I assume that this will be done using a whitelist? Just wondering how a program will be rated as suspicious? And will we be able to exclude programs?
It won't be a whitelist. Vlk has posted before about that and the difficulty of building a whitelist.
It will be based on suspicious behavior, rules, heuristic analysis and signatures.
I suppose you can remove a program from the sandbox... "Run outside sandbox" option.

3. WebRep: Browser add-on. Won't slow things down will it?
Well, a little. But, after all, it's an optional item. You can choose.

4. SafeZone: Is this a virtualized desktop?
Still a mystery for us.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2011, 02:32:33 AM »
<snip>
Could be good. But will change the interface a lot and there are numbers, written text, etc. that is difficult to set what is default and what is not.

Well it is one character at the end of the option name (two if there is a space before the *) for default settings or before the check box, which is possibly better when that has more room. That would need a one line explanation that the * means a default setting, either at the top of the avast Settings or in the avast Help Center.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2011, 02:47:22 AM »
The ability to save your current settings and the ability to import saved settings is I feel essential. I have recently done a number of clean installs on two systems and boy would it have saved a lot of time not having to manually set all my customisations, exclusions, etc.

+1 Agreed...'Import' and 'Save' should definitely be what we shot for. ;D

LunarWolf

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2011, 02:54:30 AM »
If there is a sidebar gadget, please do away with it. It is not necessary. It will just add to the bloat.

Offline wonderwrench

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2011, 03:01:56 AM »
I not too sure about the reset button. If someone uses the settings right they shouldn't have to reset. I have avast just the way I want it and if the process cannot be undone I could lose all my settings. Not a good idea! Leave the reset button out (my opinion).

IMO each group of settings should have a way to set the settings back to default. Not just a global reset. Better yet would be a method to tell if any setting was not in the default state.
Main Box*i7 930*GB X58A-UD3R*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*Intel X25-M G2 80 gig*WD 2TB Green*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*LG WH14NS40*Corsair AX750*Rosewill Challenger case*Windows 8 Pro 64 bit*Avast 8 Free 8.0.1482*MBAM Pro*Firefox 19.0.1*NoScript

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2011, 03:02:41 AM »
If there is a sidebar gadget, please do away with it. It is not necessary. It will just add to the bloat.

Like most things in avast you aren't forced to use it.