Author Topic: News about avast 6... well, not so new... Some of them could be fantastic!  (Read 71585 times)

Offline wonderwrench

Re: News about avast 6... well, not so new... Some of them could be fantastic!
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2011, 03:05:04 AM »
The ability to save your current settings and the ability to import saved settings is I feel essential. I have recently done a number of clean installs on two systems and boy would it have saved a lot of time not having to manually set all my customisations, exclusions, etc.

Whilst the Restore defaults is a step in the right direction, I don't think it as essential as being able to save the existing settings and import previously saved settings. After all a clean reinstall will restore defaults.

Another option that has been previously mentioned is to flag default settings with an * in the UI.

+1 right on the mark!
Main Box*i7 930*GB X58A-UD3R*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*Intel X25-M G2 80 gig*WD 2TB Green*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*LG WH14NS40*Corsair AX750*Rosewill Challenger case*Windows 8 Pro 64 bit*Avast 8 Free 8.0.1482*MBAM Pro*Firefox 19.0.1*NoScript

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2011, 03:29:52 AM »
I not too sure about the reset button. If someone uses the settings right they shouldn't have to reset. I have avast just the way I want it and if the process cannot be undone I could lose all my settings. Not a good idea! Leave the reset button out (my opinion).
Seems it is configurable, i.e., you can reset program settings and the custom scannings.
This is an old wish of a lot of users. I think a great improvement since version 4.
Do you mean that a user could customize then reset to default settings then restore the customized settings?
If possible this would make everyone happy.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2011, 08:58:20 AM »
If there is a sidebar gadget, please do away with it. It is not necessary. It will just add to the bloat.
Avast gadget will be nice addition to your desktop
Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2011, 09:07:51 AM »
3. WebRep: Browser add-on. Won't slow things down will it?

No slowing down here with FF, atm...
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

ImWarm

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2011, 10:47:16 AM »
Shouldn't Safezone be exclusive to AIS? Safezone protects your identity, and AIS is meant for those who shop and bank online. Avast Pro should only be a full featured antivirus with the added sandbox, and not guarding against identity theft. Right?

GaAs

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2011, 03:09:14 PM »
I think the virtualization of all processes is the right way to go, and Avast is doing very well in this field. However, I believe that as long as not to create an operating system completely shielded from unauthorized changes (eg: registry) Avast should also aim to integrate the control of protected areas (or not) of the registry, and include points of recovery.
 I noticed that many people my friends less experienced and more naive suffered infections from malware just got out of the oven that have contaminated the system because of the weakness of the control register every time they were reloaded at startup. The forum is full of these reports and it is absurd that such should be advised to use other programs that are able to remove the registry keys infected because Avast does not.
 In any case, I repeat, Avast in my opinion, are following a very good way, and the feedback his team with our users and customers is the winning side of this company.
 ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2011, 03:57:50 PM »
If there is a sidebar gadget, please do away with it. It is not necessary. It will just add to the bloat.
Do not install it if you do not like it :)

Do you mean that a user could customize then reset to default settings then restore the customized settings?
As far I could understand, no, you can't restore customized settings. You can only restore the default ones.

Shouldn't Safezone be exclusive to AIS? Safezone protects your identity, and AIS is meant for those who shop and bank online. Avast Pro should only be a full featured antivirus with the added sandbox, and not guarding against identity theft. Right?
Yes, right, it will be only in paid versions of the suite (AIS).

The forum is full of these reports and it is absurd that such should be advised to use other programs that are able to remove the registry keys infected because Avast does not.
Yes, it would be good a better registry cleaning (when infected).
The best things in life are free.

Silk0

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2011, 04:04:31 PM »
And about the fully working Behavior Shield?
Gonna be one more feature for version 6.0, right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

ImWarm

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2011, 05:11:01 PM »

Thanks Tech for replying. But I could've sworn I read that Safezone will be in the Pro version also. ??? (probably said by pk) There should be more incentive to buy AIS, and identity protection is AIS's job.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2011, 05:33:58 PM »
And about the fully working Behavior Shield?
Gonna be one more feature for version 6.0, right? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes. They promised that, i.e., BeS will be in active mode: when a suspicious program (action) is detected it will be automatically sandboxed and avast will alert you about that.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2011, 05:35:03 PM »
Thanks Tech for replying.
I do not have that info. I don't know much more than you...

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2011, 05:52:59 PM »
version 6 sounds great and avast your going in the right direction with virtualization(fantastic news) and bb.the safezone sounds vey interesting.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2011, 02:15:10 AM »
Do not install it if you do not like it :)

As far I could understand, no, you can't restore customized settings. You can only restore the default ones.

The forum is full of these reports and it is absurd that such should be advised to use other programs that are able to remove the registry keys infected because Avast does not.
Yes, it would be good a better registry cleaning (when infected).
Sorry, I don't know how to pick just a portion of a quote. What I would like to see is after a user "customize" their settings, have a "save" function and a "reset to default" function. All in the same package. That way if someone resets they can recall their own personal settings with the "save" function.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2011, 02:20:18 AM »
What I would like to see is after a user "customize" their settings, have a "save" function and a "reset to default" function. All in the same package. That way if someone resets they can recall their own personal settings with the "save" function.
Seems that, the first step is only the "reset" button. The export/import features do not seem to be there (yet) on version 6.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2011, 04:33:39 AM »
What I would like to see is after a user "customize" their settings, have a "save" function and a "reset to default" function. All in the same package. That way if someone resets they can recall their own personal settings with the "save" function.
Seems that, the first step is only the "reset" button. The export/import features do not seem to be there (yet) on version 6.
That's what I thought. I doesn't hurt to ask or hope for.