Author Topic: Avast 5.1 in conflict with Cyberlink PowerDVD  (Read 17957 times)

mike_tee_vee

Avast 5.1 in conflict with Cyberlink PowerDVD
« on: January 23, 2011, 12:40:47 AM »
I recently upgraded from Avast Free 4.8 to 5.1, and suddenly my PowerDVD application does not work.  I get an error message saying that the file CLHelper.exe has crashed, and I'm unable to play DVDs and blu rays. 

When I uninstall Avast completely, PowerDVD works again.  Can anyone guide me on what to do?

Pyoko

Re: Avast 5.1 in conflict with Cyberlink PowerDVD
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 01:38:02 AM »
I have the exact same problem, and made a thread about it here. Doesn't look like there's anything to do until they fix it (I hope they do.) I don't know if it would be possible to roll back the program update somehow, at least for now.

sded

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 01:45:46 AM »
What is your OS?  Are you using the latest (.889) version of Avast!?  What firewall are you using?
Couple things to try to get more conflict information for the developers:
1.  There have been a few reported residual issues with the Behavior Shield.  Go to Programs and Features, select Avast, uncheck behavior shield to remove it temporarily and see if that fixes the problem.
2.  Do an uninstall of Avast! in safe mode with the Avast! uninstall utility.  Then a custom reinstall using only the file shield.  If things work, try adding back the Behavior Shield, Network Shield, etc. from Programs and Features.

Pyoko

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 03:00:22 AM »
I'm on Windows XP SP3 32-bit, Avast Free 5.1.889, and I get this error. I tried your suggestion and uninstalled the Behavior Shield and after that PowerDVD worked fine, so that's definitely the problem. Will probably keep it like this for now, better than nothing.

sded

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 03:27:34 AM »
Thank you. Glad it helped for now. The developers may contact you directly for dumps or other information that will help them fix the problem.  With 140M registered users there are sure a lot of different configurations. :)

g0you

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 11:56:17 AM »
I also have the same problem. On starting PowerDVD 8, clhelper.exe crashes and the playing of blu rays or DVD is not possible. I am surprised that there is so little on the web about this problem. It looks potentially significant to me! I am running Windows XP SP2.

sded

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 02:20:43 PM »
I also have the same problem. On starting PowerDVD 8, clhelper.exe crashes and the playing of blu rays or DVD is not possible. I am surprised that there is so little on the web about this problem. It looks potentially significant to me! I am running Windows XP SP2.
Have you tried the suggestions in Reply #2?

g0you

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 04:22:28 PM »
Thank you for the prompt reply. Yes I have tried the suggestion in Reply #2. PowerDVD 8 runs correctly if I choose not to install the Behaviour Shield. As stated previously, I suspect that this may be a significant problem. Since clhelper.exe just crashes, many users may not be aware that Avast is at fault.

sded

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 04:23:47 PM »
Thread has been reported to support as an issue.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 06:19:42 PM »
Thread has been reported to support as an issue.
Thanks. I always do the same when my (or others') knowledge can't solve a problem.
The best things in life are free.

mike_tee_vee

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 08:47:42 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies!  I tried the steps in Reply 2, and still the same results.  I'm running the latest update of Avast, and have Windows XP 32bit SP3.

sded

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 08:57:22 PM »
Try a removal of avast! using the uninstall tool from safe mode, then a clean install without Behavior Shield.  I think the others with this problem were doing upgrades from 5.0 versions.

sded

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 02:41:08 PM »
Response from Avast! Sypport:  "Till we will very very soon a new version of avast to fix this issue, please reinstall avast with the following version: 677 "

g0you

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 07:22:04 PM »
Where do I get version 677 from? When do you anticipate releasing a fix? Thanks

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 07:23:43 PM »
Where do I get version 677 from? When do you anticipate releasing a fix? Thanks

Click here to get version 5.0.677