Author Topic: Avast 5.1 in conflict with Cyberlink PowerDVD  (Read 17937 times)

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast 5.1 in conflict with Cyberlink PowerDVD
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 07:37:08 PM »
One other route to try:  I'm having no problems with 5.1.889 and Power DVD 7.  A few months ago I had to replace my DVD drive, and the new one came bundled with an installation CD for v. 8, but that turned out to be an OEM version which lacked some components (I forget what) essential to viewing commercial DVD videos.  So I restored my HD to the previous day, to get ver. 7 back, and it was fine again.

So see if you can find somewhere (Cyberlink, maybe?) a copy of Power DVD 7 and try that.  To the best of my memory, the only significant change in v. 8 vs 7 was the ability to add other skins to the default one.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

margol1

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 08:48:13 PM »
Click here to get version 5.0.677
This link is for the Free version. What about Internet Security ? It also conflicts with PDVD9 Ultra.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011, 06:53:22 PM »
One other route to try:  I'm having no problems with 5.1.889 and Power DVD 7.  A few months ago I had to replace my DVD drive, and the new one came bundled with an installation CD for v. 8, but that turned out to be an OEM version which lacked some components (I forget what) essential to viewing commercial DVD videos.  So I restored my HD to the previous day, to get ver. 7 back, and it was fine again.

Update, since I now remember ... what was missing from that OEM version of PDVD was that it wasn't capable of handling Dolby, which I would have thought is more or less universal these days, even on remastered antique films.  So no audio at all.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

ThickHead

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2011, 08:06:09 PM »
Hello,
Like everyone else here, I also have the problem with CLhelper.exe crashing when I start PowerDVD 7 OEM and have been patiently waiting for the promised upgrade that supposedly fixes the problem. This morning version 6.0.1000 and definitions 110226-1 came out and I upgraded, but the CLhelper problem is still occurring. Was this supposed to be the version with the fix in it? If it was, then it needs to be looked at again.

Thanks

Pyoko

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 12:54:28 PM »
Same here, the update to 6.0.1000 hasn't fixed the issue. I still have to install Avast without the Behavior Shield.

Offline bs

• Avast team
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 03:08:23 PM »
I have CyberLink PowerDVD 10 and the program starts correctly. Do you have problems with starting program or with using it?
Try to disable "Monitor the system for unauthorized modifications" in Behavior Shield\Expert Settings\Main Settings if it helps.

ThickHead

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 04:30:30 PM »
Both. Just as described by the OP, on startup of PowerDVD, WinXP throws an error window saying CLHelper.exe needs to close, then there's a short pause and the PowerDVD screen come up, but it's unable to play anything.

ThickHead

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2011, 02:56:37 PM »
Hey bs,
Good suggestion, disabling that setting does make PowerDVD 7 work again, Thanks!!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2011, 04:50:27 PM »
Good suggestion, disabling that setting does make PowerDVD 7 work again, Thanks!!
Really, I would let Behavior Shield in "ask" mode and let that option "ON" not off.
You're decreasing your protection level.
The best things in life are free.

Pyoko

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2011, 02:50:35 PM »
Really, I would let Behavior Shield in "ask" mode and let that option "ON" not off.
You're decreasing your protection level.
"Ask" mode doesn't work, and neither does "Allow", "Block" or "Auto", PowerDVD crashes anyway. I tried adding PowerDVD and CLHelper to the list of trusted processes but that didn't do anything either. Disabling "Monitor the system for unauthorized modifications" is the only thing that works.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2011, 09:43:45 PM »
Probably the programmers will need the dump files...

Please, go to folder \windows\minidump and send the newest (recent) .mdmp files for analysis.
There is also C:\Windows\Memory.dmp file.
Better if you can compress (zip), rename it with an unique name, them and add some information about the BSOD and the link for this thread.  ;)
Upload it to this anonymous ftp server: ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming/

To manual generate a dump: when the machine is in stalled state, hold down the rightmost CTRL key, and press the SCROLL LOCK key twice. This will cause a machine to 'blue-screen' and dump of memory will start.
More info: http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71

To generate full dump instead of only kernel (or small dump), see http://www.msfn.org/board/creating-memory-dumps-t130005.html.

Pyoko

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2011, 08:43:57 PM »
OK, I have uploaded a zip with the two memory dumps, created right after the crash message from PowerDVD.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2011, 08:55:11 PM »
OK, I have uploaded a zip with the two memory dumps, created right after the crash message from PowerDVD.
Which is the file name?

Pyoko

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2011, 09:30:08 PM »
Which is the file name?
avast_powerdvd_conflict_memory_dump.zip

Pyoko

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2011, 03:11:33 PM »
PowerDVD 7 seems to work fine after the 1091 update, I can now turn Behavior Shield back on, great! :)