Author Topic: Why do Avast and AVG Linkscanner not get along?  (Read 15930 times)

Offline cheater87

Why do Avast and AVG Linkscanner not get along?
« on: January 23, 2011, 01:21:56 AM »
I can't install it since there are compatibility issues.
I have Opera, WOT, K9 Web Protection, Avast Free web shield and Behavior blocker only, Comodo Internet Security 10, and common sense. ^_^

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Why do Avast and AVG Linkscanner not get along?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 02:12:39 AM »
As far as I'm aware there are no compatibility issues and certainly not at install level, I don't know how it works exactly but I would have thought the only possible conflict would be with the web shield when it is running.

What errors are you getting when you try to install it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline cheater87

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 08:33:27 AM »
When installing AVG Linkscanner it says I have to uninstall Avast because of compatibility issues. I CAN however uninstall Avast and then install Linkscanner, then reinstall Avast with no problem. 0_o Odd
I have Opera, WOT, K9 Web Protection, Avast Free web shield and Behavior blocker only, Comodo Internet Security 10, and common sense. ^_^

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 08:40:36 AM »
linkscanner is useless. Wait for avast!'s 6 WebRep
Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10

Offline cheater87

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 08:49:19 AM »
I'm only using it since WOT is having some issues at the moment.

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 09:04:51 AM »
I'm only using it since WOT is having some issues at the moment.
right... I'm curious how will avast's Web Reputation compete WOT.

But do not use avg linkscanner anyway... It doesn't work. Infected sites are reported as clean by AVG linkscanner, and when you will enter them, AVG will block that "clean" website.
In other ways it slowdowns your browser and annoys you.

Doing some tests...
youareanidiot - Clean by AVG linkscanner
guggle - Clean by AVG linkscanner

watch out this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv_TXsaKfDk
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 09:14:39 AM by danny96 »
Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 03:55:57 PM »
I would have to agree, the avg link scanner is pointless, regardless of how effective or ineffective it is. You have the avast Network Shield (with its own list of known malicious sites, not exhaustive) and the Web Shield providing active real time scans and it is without doubt one of the most effective web scanners.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 06:22:14 PM »
I would have to agree, the avg link scanner is pointless, regardless of how effective or ineffective it is. You have the avast Network Shield (with its own list of known malicious sites, not exhaustive) and the Web Shield providing active real time scans and it is without doubt one of the most effective web scanners.
+1
The best things in life are free.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 07:36:47 PM »
One question...why on earth would anyone run two av's at the same time?
Doing so could cause false positives or even worse letting a virus through.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline cheater87

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 07:48:26 PM »
LinkScanner is a stand alone app I don't have AVG and Avast at the same time haha.

Offline Quibbler

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 01:46:55 PM »
Just found this thread.  I'm running AvastFree AV and don't want to change.  I'm using WOT and found McAfee's Site Advisor kept telling me not to download innocent stuff like .. er .. Avast. Tried to download AVG's so-called stand-alone link scanner.  At the last minute it told me to uninstal Avast and aborted. Are these guys all trying to sabotage each other?  None give 100% security so it's a bit rich.

BTW, if Avast's web and network shields are so cool, shame they didn't work on my Win 7x64 system before the latest version ... and they give no clue they're sniffing out bad links on search results. Nothing beats traffic lights!

Dr Web(?) does a link scanner. Not a software company I've used. Russian isn't it?

Guess I'm stuck with MyWOT and a pair of bashful Avast shields?  :'(

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 08:33:46 PM »
Just found this thread.  I'm running AvastFree AV and don't want to change.  I'm using WOT and found McAfee's Site Advisor kept telling me not to download innocent stuff like .. er .. Avast. Tried to download AVG's so-called stand-alone link scanner.  At the last minute it told me to uninstal Avast and aborted. Are these guys all trying to sabotage each other?  None give 100% security so it's a bit rich.

BTW, if Avast's web and network shields are so cool, shame they didn't work on my Win 7x64 system before the latest version ... and they give no clue they're sniffing out bad links on search results. Nothing beats traffic lights!

Dr Web(?) does a link scanner. Not a software company I've used. Russian isn't it?

Guess I'm stuck with MyWOT and a pair of bashful Avast shields?  :'(
With all due respect, I found out the hard way not to trust anything from AVG. I had AVG av with its built-in link scanner and it let through five viruses and/or malware. Switched to avast and have not had any problems since. I even went back to a couple of sites AVG said were clean, avast came through with a pop-up bubble warning. I was sold on avast!
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline cheater87

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 08:52:29 PM »
I had to do a system restore to get rid of that program. WOW it messed up Avast.

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 09:20:11 AM »
I had to do a system restore to get rid of that program. WOW it messed up Avast.
Avast! should add detection of Linkscanner :D
infection win32:omg_linkscanner
action deleted
;)

sandeep108

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 06:58:22 AM »
Why on earth anybody would want to install AVG's Linkscanner is beyond me. One of the worst concepts ever. Quite useless and tries to scan most of the Internet. Slows down browsing till you feel you are on dial-up. And still worse protection than avast and others.