Author Topic: Why do Avast and AVG Linkscanner not get along?  (Read 15865 times)

IWRConsultancy

Re: Why do Avast and AVG Linkscanner not get along?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 10:45:25 AM »
Why on earth anybody would want to install AVG's Linkscanner is beyond me.

We had to script AVG setups to stop this and other junkware being installed. That, and I don't think AVG's protection is all that good, I've seen cases of it sitting silent on infected computers, when a live-CD scan with other products detected the malware straightaway.

Offline sooners2win

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2011, 08:58:06 PM »
linkscanner is useless. Wait for avast!'s 6 WebRep

As Mike Gundy would say, "That's NOT TRUE!"
a6750f, amd phenom 9650quad core processor 2.30Ghz, Ram 8GB, Microsoft Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2,Avast7 Free,Comodo Firewall, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, Ccleaner, FF3.6.14,Google Chrome.

m00nbl00d

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 11:24:43 PM »
I'm only using it since WOT is having some issues at the moment.
right... I'm curious how will avast's Web Reputation compete WOT.

But do not use avg linkscanner anyway... It doesn't work. Infected sites are reported as clean by AVG linkscanner, and when you will enter them, AVG will block that "clean" website.
In other ways it slowdowns your browser and annoys you.

Doing some tests...
youareanidiot - Clean by AVG linkscanner
guggle - Clean by AVG linkscanner

watch out this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv_TXsaKfDk

Do you actually know, or who ever did that review (that character Kazutadashi), how LinkScanner works? I'll explain you in a very short way.

AVG LinkScanner has two components: Search-Shield and Surf-Shield.

Search-Shield works with IE and Firefox (Now I believe Google Chrome as well), and reports whether a given domain is KNOWN as being malicious. Meaning, this feature checks given domains against a database of KNOWN malicious websites.

Surf-Shield is the real-time protection component, the one that actually protects against URLs hosting ACTIVE malicious content, such as exploits (its main task, I'd say). So, even if Search-Shield reports GREEN, that only means the domain is not KNOWN to host malicious content/being a phishing domain, etc. That is, it reports it green because according to Search-Shield database, that domain is not there.

Surf-Shield will scan ACTIVE malicious content, and if it's there, it will be stopped. That's why sometimes when Search-Shield rates something green, Surf-Shield may block access if it finds ACTIVE malicious content.

To test an application, one needs to know how it exactly works, otherwise we just make ourselves complete fools.

I would have to agree, the avg link scanner is pointless, regardless of how effective or ineffective it is. You have the avast Network Shield (with its own list of known malicious sites, not exhaustive) and the Web Shield providing active real time scans and it is without doubt one of the most effective web scanners.

Actually, we have to define something as either pointless or of use, considering its effectiveness or lack of it. If one wants to use it, that's a different matter. But, if something is effective, it isn't pointless.

Also, LinkScanner doesn't only verify known malicious websites. It actually verifies them for active malicious content (not viruses, etc., rather exploits, javascript obfuscation).

avast! team clearly believes this type of protection is useful, and that a webscanner isn't enough, as they are introducing something similar in version 6? I haven't read its details with much attention, but I believe it's something within that line?

I'm glad avast! team is cooking something similar. It gives avast! users one more security layer, which IMO makes difference. (So that others don't come saying I'm an AVG fan, because I just like to clarify facts when they're wrong. ;) )

sandeep108

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2011, 02:26:57 PM »
Quote from: m00nbl00d
Do you actually know, or who ever did that review (that character Kazutadashi), how LinkScanner works? I'll explain you in a very short way.

Also, LinkScanner doesn't only verify known malicious websites. It actually verifies them for active malicious content (not viruses, etc., rather exploits, javascript obfuscation).

avast! team clearly believes this type of protection is useful, and that a webscanner isn't enough, as they are introducing something similar in version 6? I haven't read its details with much attention, but I believe it's something within that line?

I'm glad avast! team is cooking something similar. It gives avast! users one more security layer, which IMO makes difference. (So that others don't come saying I'm an AVG fan, because I just like to clarify facts when they're wrong. ;) )
I still think there is something fundamentally wrong in the way link scanner works and if avast is planning something similar, it is bye bye avast! (in spite of having paid for it) and hello MSE.

The last time it installed with an update of AVG and after that I used it for exactly 2 days and when I realised what it did, I uninstalled it and stopped using AVG - it had become useless bloatware. There were howls of protests on AVG's miserable forums as well. It had also let an autorun trojan onto my PC (luckily I was running as a limited user and it could not install itself and I could clean up my PC easily).

What I saw in the way it was working was that it checks each and every link on any page you load in your browser. Now that IMO is useless. I may or may not click on a link on that page. Obviously, this also slows down an Internet connection.

Avast's web shield is way better in that only when you click on a link, it checks it, plus the realtime shield also protects.

m00nbl00d

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2011, 05:13:25 PM »
I still think there is something fundamentally wrong in the way link scanner works and if avast is planning something similar, it is bye bye avast! (in spite of having paid for it) and hello MSE.

Would you mind to explain it better? What exactly is wrong about the way LinkScanner works?

The last time it installed with an update of AVG and after that I used it for exactly 2 days and when I realised what it did, I uninstalled it and stopped using AVG - it had become useless bloatware. There were howls of protests on AVG's miserable forums as well. It had also let an autorun trojan onto my PC (luckily I was running as a limited user and it could not install itself and I could clean up my PC easily).

I can't make any sense out of that. What do you mean with "The last time it installed with an update of AVG..."?

Why are you talking about Trojans? LinkScanner's task is to prevent exploits, which will install malware, but that's another thing. If there's no exploit, why would you be expecting LinkScanner to stop a trojan? LinkScanner is not a webscanner; it does not scan URLs for known/unknown malware. It only scans for exploits.

What I saw in the way it was working was that it checks each and every link on any page you load in your browser. Now that IMO is useless. I may or may not click on a link on that page. Obviously, this also slows down an Internet connection.

Actually, it does not check "each and every link on any page you load in your browser". LinkScanner will only scan the current URL you're on. For example, if you're at -http://somedomain.com, and if this domain contains active malicious content (exploits), then it will prevent access to it. If there's no exploit in that URL, then it will allow access. But, if there's an exploit in -http://somedomain.com/some_other_stuff, then it will prevent access to this URL, despite the fact it allows access to -http://somedomain.com

Avast's web shield is way better in that only when you click on a link, it checks it, plus the realtime shield also protects.

You're comparing apples to oranges. Different "vitamins", so to speak.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 05:15:45 PM by m00nbl00d »

derry

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2011, 05:17:37 PM »
You don't need avg link scanner avast has it's own protection. avast is all you need it's complete.... if you want more just wait till avast 6.0 is released that will give you web ratings.

boymaw123

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2011, 06:21:22 PM »
Better than links scanner.. check this out..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2011, 06:44:23 PM »
It isn't doing the same thing so a comparison is pointless. Not to mention the WebRep is only in the avast 6 beta version right now, so its database of sites is somewhat limited. This will no doubt improve over time, but it still isn't doing the same as avg's link scanner, so can't be compared.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

m00nbl00d

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2011, 06:45:41 PM »

Better than both LinkScanner and WebRep is javascript disabled. lol

Anyway... WTH? "This site has good rating (based on a large number of votes)" ??? So, WebRep is a community rating mechanism? No, sir.

If that's all WebRep is about, then in no way will be a match to LinkScanner, sadly. I say sadly, because there aren't many really alternatives to LinkScanner. The other one I can think of is TrendMicro BrowserGuard, which only works with IE.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2011, 07:31:33 PM »
The webrep ratings are part community and part avast virus lab rating's.
I wouldn't use anything by trend micro, Finjan secure browsing is another linkscanner that is very highly rated but all these linkscanners really slow down the browsing speed.
Once all the user base information is collected and avast have had more time to really tweek this thing i think it will be an excellent add on.

gery

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2011, 07:57:18 PM »
I wouldn't use anything by trend micro, Finjan secure browsing is another linkscanner that is very highly rated but all these linkscanners really slow down the browsing speed.
Once all the user base information is collected and avast have had more time to really tweek this thing i think it will be an excellent add on.
well that might take sometime i guess

m00nbl00d

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2011, 08:04:13 PM »

I can't say much about TrendMicro BrowserGuard, because I never tested it, but LinkScanner doesn't slow web browsing. It has been my relatives experience, of course. I can only "speak" for them.

Regarding WebRep, I truly hope avast! team decides to drop community ratings. Useless approach, IMHO. All of a sudden, at the image of what happens with WOT, every user is a security expert and capable of deciding whether or not XYZ website is safe? If that's the case, there's no reason for WebRep to exist, in the first place. It's my opinion, of course.

About Finjan SecureBrowsing, I believe it's no longer being maintained, after it got acquired by M86? Also, only seemed to work with IE and Firefox.

AVG LinkScanner has a great thing: The Surf-Shield component will protect regardless of the web browser used. I hope avast! can make WebRep scan http traffic, rather than requiring xyz browser.

sandeep108

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2011, 05:57:05 AM »

Well unfortunately webrep seems to do exactly what linkscanner did when I had last installed it a few years ago, when it was installed as part of the AVG program update package. As can be seen from those green bars (or in case of Linkscanner green check marks) it IS scanning each and every google search link on that page. So if I have a page with 20-30 links, webrep or linkscanner would try and check out all those 20-30 links. Then it does not release itself promptly until it has finished. So not only does it start using huge bandwidth, it slows down everything considerably. If Linkscanner has changed in the way it works, I don't know, because I never went back to it or AVG.

Probably avast would do better to let webrep be on demand, say as a right click option on a link, where if I was not sure, I could let avast check it out first.