Author Topic: "Cannot connect to server" error message while updating virus database  (Read 5158 times)

andritt

I recently updated Avast Free on my wife's computer and re-registered, the old registration having lapsed. She uses Windows XP and Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird. The installation went fine, as did the registration. But now she gets an error message balloon after startup to the effect that the virus database update failed : "cannot connect to server". Manual update attempts produce the same result and message, as do attempts to update the program. This problem has persisted for several days. We are able to connect to all other web-sites without any difficulty.

I am using the same version of Avast (5.1.889) on my own two computers (also on Windows XP/ Firefox/ Thunderbird) and everything works fine. All the settings I have checked look identical.

This morning I uninstalled Avast from my wife's computer, re-downloaded it, re-installed it and re-inserted the registration key. The problem continues.

Any thoughts on what might be going on and how to fix it. Many thanks.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: "Cannot connect to server" error message while updating virus database
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 04:39:29 PM »
First, what firewall is being used? Is avast (avast.update) allowed to fully connect incoming and outgoing? If not, set the firewall to learning mode/autodecide then remove all avast rules. Restart computer which should create new rules for Avast.

If that is not the issue then I would try a repair of Avast. Go to add/remove programs, avast, uninstall/change, scroll down to repair and ok everything.

If neither of the above work go to avast settings go to updates then scroll down to proxy settings and select direct connect. Hopefully this will connect.

See attachment.

Please report your findings.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 05:04:12 PM by Charyb »

andritt

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 06:37:50 PM »
Charyb,
(1) using the Windows XP firewall. Avast.update is not listed as an exception -- but then neither is it on my computers. I could not find a learning/ autodecide mode and thus went on to
(2) and tried to repair, even though I was sceptical given I had just removed the previous version and downloaded/installed the current one. Result: error message reading "Error processing packages. Please use full update". Which, of course I couldn't do since, as noted, I couldn't connect to the server for the program update attempt either.
So, I tried
(3) and changed the proxy settings to "direct connect". This worked, i.e. it allowed me to manually update the virus definitions. When I restarted the computer it looked like avast did try an auto update (the orange globe rotated and the last update attempt was shown as 0 minutes ago) but I did not get the usual message that the definitions had been updated. I'm guessing this is because there was nothing to update. We'll be checking over the next few days, of course. If the update message does not appear, I'll get back to you again. Unless I do, it appears you have solved my problem. Many thanks.

Incidentally, both of my computers are set to "auto detect", not "direct connect". Go figure.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 07:24:20 PM »
The XP firewall has ZERO outbound protection, so exclusions are of no use as it doesn't apply to outbound connections.

Auto detect is the default setting, if you experience update problems it may be that it isn't able to get/detect the proxy settings information (usually from IE).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

andritt

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 10:00:06 PM »
Update to Charyb: this morning my wife's computer did auto-update the virus definitions but the auto-update message balloon did not appear in the lower right hand corner the way it does on my computers. In Settings/ Update/ Details the box next to "show notification box after automatic updates" is checked. Obviously not a big problem, just a minor inconvenience and a bit mystifying.
Again thanks for your help.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 10:02:33 PM »
Does she happen to have Silent/Gaming mode enabled in the avastUI settings ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security